Surefire E1B - brighter than 80 lumens?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I either got lucky or Surefire is underestimating their outputs again. This thing EMBARRASSES the P60L module I put in my parents 6P. It maybe the tighter beam but I really think it might up near 100 lumens. I already won the tint lottery on this baby big time....

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the P60L only 80 lumens before it drops when it heats up? Since the E1B is using an optic to produce a tight hot spot, the hot spot should be brighter than the hot spot created by the P60L and its reflector.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might have just gotten an overachieving emitter. Remember, 80 lumens is an average. Congratulations on beating the average!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even among the same bins there can be differences. I am lucky enough to live close to a dealer; so when I buy an LED light I can compare different lights and choose the one I want. The E1B I chose was very white and appeared very slightly brighter than the others I looked at. Although very slight it is nice to know I can always choose something I'm happy with and not have to deal with the lottery. On the other hand It's bad because I never would have bought the E1B. The dealer had it, and after handling and seeing it, I had to have it.

Bill

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Even among the same bins there can be differences. I am lucky enough to live close to a dealer; so when I buy an LED light I can compare different lights and choose the one I want. The E1B I chose was very white and appeared very slightly brighter than the others I looked at. Although very slight it is nice to know I can always choose something I'm happy with and not have to deal with the lottery. On the other hand It's bad because I never would have bought the E1B. The dealer had it, and after handling and seeing it, I had to have it.

Bill

How do you compare beams when the newer Surefire's are sealed in plastic?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dealer always has at least one new unit open for display and will always open at least one more for comparison. Almost anyone that goes in wants to see more than one unit. It is much nicer on the ones that are not sealed in plastic. Then I can choose from a number of different lights.

EDIT: It's also nice to be a very good customer

Last edited:

magic_elf

Banned
How can it be that some may think that the E1B may output so much light while others have experience if being outperformed by the L1? I think someone even took lux measurements of the E1B vs L1 and shows the L1 throwing more also.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe some of us have a L1 with a newer emitter, or better bin, and others have an older L1 with a lesser Cree in it? Or maybe some of us have under acheiving E1Bs.

jufam44

Enlightened
The e1b looks to be a lot brighter than a G2L when I tested it at a dealer...Just an observation...:whistle:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or maybe some of us have under acheiving E1Bs.

I believe it's variation in the bin. I take percieved brightness comparisons with a grain of salt, but relative lux measurements don't lie, so there must be at least one E1B that's doing poor on the output scale.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I think we see a combination of bin variation and hotspot (size) variation as well as a mix of older and newer lights ... and the result is an unpredictable chaos :D

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its differences in perceived brightness...anyone done ceiling bounce tests?

the problem with compareing reflector and optic, is that optics tend to produce a very focused, very intense beam, while Reflectors have relatively not as intesne hotspot, but more spill. Ceiling Bounce is pretty much the only way, short of Lightbox or intergrating sphere, to be sure of a lights total output.

IIRC, it was WadeF who did the lux comparison for the lights? he concluded the L1 was beating the E1B, that was done with A Bounce test i believe..?

Crenshaw

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I either got lucky or Surefire is underestimating their outputs again. This thing EMBARRASSES the P60L module I put in my parents 6P. It maybe the tighter beam but I really think it might up near 100 lumens. I already won the tint lottery on this baby big time....

I believe it is the hotspot. It's not brighter, but, mine out throws my P2D-Q5, Nitecore DI, Muyshondt Nautilus, and Proton Pro; although it does not out throw my T20-Q5 it is not very far behind it. I have never had an optics light before but this light amazes me. I am now more than ever looking forward to seeing the UA2 in action. I never understood what all the hype was about on the L1 at only 60 Lumens. Now I understand.

Bill