SureFire E1L Cree. What bin does it have? I may have an answer here

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
While unscrewing the head of my E1L, the head of the light started to unscrew. At first I thought there was something wrong with the threads because it was kinda rough unscrewing the head, but then realized it was the head unscrewing apart.

After curiously looking inside the head I noticed tha the cree LED in my E1L has 4 wires connected to the die of the LED. Does this mean that it is a Q2 bin or even a Q4? I tried to take a pic but could not get my camera to focus properly. There are definately 4 wires in there.

It also looks like surefire used some kind of black glue to secure the head together but in my case they did not use enough. I am contemplating sending it back to SureFire to re-secure the head of maybe I should just leave it for easier access in case I ever decide to mod it in the future? R bin maybe? :p

Just thought I would pass this along because I have heard the question brought up before of what Cree bin is used in the SureFire lights.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking from the optic, my E2L has 3 bond wires and my L1 4 bond wires. I'm not sure if the number of bond wires indicate a minimum bin since my Wolf-Eyes has 4 bond wires and they advertise it as a P4 bin.

Patriot

Flashaholic
In another thread McGizmo had speculated that it could have even been a Q5. He stated that Q5s were very hard to get a hold of a one point because most of them were going to Surefire. He didn't know were their ultimate destination was but in talking about the L1 he couldn't rule the Q5 out for sure. I thought that was pretty interesting.

ideefixe

Newly Enlightened
I opened up my L1 Cree and saw 4 wires also! I was about to put a Q5 in but I stopped thinking it might already have a Q2.

Here's a pic of the L1 Cree:

and here's a pic of a Q5 WC Cree I picked up from a recent group buy:

Die looks same to me...

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic
Four wires has typically indicated a higher Q-rank. I can't recall exactly, though I once knew. I'll guess: It means that it is at least a Q4.

I'm pretty sure (meaning I'm just guessing again) that Q2 just had three wires.

And now that I read what I wrote, I'm not sure why I'm posting. :duh2:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are nice pice ideefixe, mine looks exactly the same.

I opened up my L1 Cree and saw 4 wires also! I was about to put a Q5 in but I stopped thinking it might already have a Q2.

Here's a pic of the L1 Cree:

and here's a pic of a Q5 WC Cree I picked up from a recent group buy:

Die looks same to me...

Kippers

Newly Enlightened
I have two lights that were advertised as having Cree Q2 emitters.
Both seem to have four bond wires. One is a Fenix L2D Q2 special
edition from the Fenix Store. The other is the new Jetbeam CLE 2.0 from BugOutGear.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I said, I have a light advertised as having a P4 and it has 4 bond wires... Either they put at least a Q2 in it, or the number or bond wires mean nothing about the bin.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older P2 bin with four bond wires. I do not think the number of bond wires is an indication of bin.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work for a chip manufacturer, I can absoultely say that the number of bond wire does NOT determine what bin it is !!!

That is not to say process engineers later determined that die reguiring more current needed more wire bonds to operate properly, BUT in itself it does not mean anything.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in what bin is in there as well.
Personally I was quite suspicious when there were no Q3's released. I've heard a couple theories about Cree being able to produce enough high quality diodes to completely skip that bin. But my personal theory was that Surefire got all of them. :crazy:
Q4's also seemed to be in short supply. I'd bet they got Q3s or Q4s for their initial run of Cree lights. I have no evidence at all, just a crazy idea.

Scattergun

Enlightened
I think it is unlikely that Surefire would buy all the Q3´s ever produced... I mean Surefire don´t produce as many lights as a chipmanufacturer turns out LED´s on rolls!

However, It would be sad if it was some early bin, and bondwire-numbers are not indicative of bin-code. Anyone with ties to SF who could ask??

Latest posts