Surefire E2D Defender Ultra 500 Lumen light question

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

I am new here and I am in the market of getting a new LED flashlight.
The one Im interested in is the Surefire E2D Defender Ultra (500 lumens).

The light seems to be great and looks rugged. But theres one annoyance I had noticed.
Dues to the jagged edges (sorry, i dont know the technical name for it) it casts its shadow along the edges of the beam and looks like a giant shaped flower especially with the high beam mode high output.

Does anyone own these type of lights? If so, please look. When on high output, you can see the shadow of the jagged edges along the throw of the beam and kind of looks like a flower.

Also, does this light also has been approved for use in the military forces?

Thanks

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes this light casts a shadow on high because of it's "teeth". It's noticeable if you look for it at the outer edges of the spill beam and isn't really an issue in real world use because you are looking straight ahead at the hotspot and there is still plenty of spill light for your peripheral vision. If you must have a round beam then the EB2 Backup will give you the same beam and brightness but without the teeth.

As far as being approved for military forces well you would have to ask the military what they approve. I can tell you that they do use Surefire weaponlights and handheld lights so one would assume they are approved. As for this light specifically I have no idea, but I don't know why not.

Last edited:

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the explaination.
Think Im going to with the EB2 then.
I hope at this show room, they will let me play around with the E2D light and then I can least see the beam there before I make the decision.
The EB2 Backup light has two modes, but I do not want the twist tail cap in orer to turn the light ON. Would rather use the all click type mode.

Maybe off topic here >>>>

Now, theres one more light in thought and its a bit more pricey. The Surefire M952V weapon light.
But since I do not own any weapons, can I use this one as a non-mounted handheld light?
Can the pressure cap switch on the rear cap and the mounted rail be removed for use ONLY as a NON-mounted weapon light?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont put too much thinking into this!

if will appeal to the most ourside of the SPILL light ONLY,
when whitewall hunting for "defects", one might notice, in real use it will be the main beam You are "looking at" (looking with)
;)

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
dont put too much thinking into this!

if will appeal to the most ourside of the SPILL light ONLY,
when whitewall hunting for "defects", one might notice, in real use it will be the main beam You are "looking at" (looking with)
;)

I may go with the EB2 Backup Click type switch though. Dont know yet...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Main difference between E2DL Ultra and EB2 clickie is one has knurling and the other is smooth. I actually like the EB2 Tactical because you can access either mode instantly, whereas the clickie switch has to be cycled. But I also like the E2DL because of the knurling will keep the light from slipping. There are plenty of options to choose from, I just wish they made the E2DL with the tactical switch as an option.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Never been a real fan of the twist type ON/OFF switch.
I know myself already...that the flower shaped shadow near the outside of the beam due to the casting shadow from the teeth from the E2DL will bother me. As Sean posted, the EB2 will give a smoother round beam.
I know...Its silly, but thats just me.

If I ask the sales people if they can hand me a demo light in order for me to play around with it before I buy or not, would they do so?

Well, to be honest here, I really am beginning to look at the Surefire V2 Vampire LED light. I love the design on this thing.

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a close up shot of the shadow cast by the E2DL Ultra's teeth:

hazasese.jpg

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I much prefer the knurling of my Ultra to the smooth body of my LX2. This more than makes up for the non-roundness of the spill, which I've never noticed when actually using the light outdoors.

Surefire lights aren't intended for white wall hunting.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I much prefer the knurling of my Ultra to the smooth body of my LX2. This more than makes up for the non-roundness of the spill, which I've never noticed when actually using the light outdoors.

Surefire lights aren't intended for white wall hunting.

Good points. If you're close enough for the shadows to make a difference, you probably don't need a 500 lumen TIR equipped light. Photos below taken about 25 yards from the white building . . .

20130729092451-2d0cfbd2-sm.jpg

20130729092448-37a30ab2-sm.jpg

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultra's spill is quite large in diameter, larger than a Malkoff M61 or Nailbender XM-L drop-in in a stock 6P.

If you're concerned with spill shape, what are your thoughts on tint? My Ultra has the greenest tint of any light I've ever owned. This also makes no difference in real world usage.

I'm sort of a tint snob, and the Ultra isn't going anywhere.....the other properties are that good. :)

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never regretted getting the E2DL Ultra. It has been one of my favorite EDC light ever since getting it about 5 months ago. The spill beam is so wide I don't even notice the petal shaped edges in actual use. Tint on mine is greenish but it is not too bad in use. I prefer that greenish tint anytime over a bluish tint. Granted, I would like mine to have a creamy white tint, but I ain't complaining. I love the knurling on this thing and it just felt so good on the hands. May not be a super thrower, but still produced quite a fair bit of throw which is comparable to many XM-L based lights with a much bigger reflector and more bulkier built.

Wished Surefire would listen and produce an EB2 Tactical WITH knurling. I promise that would be the light I would definitely purchase.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I noticed the green looking tint as well. I though it would be like a bluish tint to it.
Looks like I will stick with E2DL though.

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
my first Surefire was a 200 lumen e2dl. my second was en eb1t which was supposed to have a horrific green tint. when i got the two i could tell a difference when playing with it in the house. can't tell a difference once you get outside. and if it wasn't for cpf i probably wouldn't have noticed at all.

i now have a 500 lumen e2dlu. don't regret it. i have a f04-a filter for it so i can have a flood light (which doubles as a crenelation pocket protector) and i remove it when i want a tight beam. i have a split ring on one of the holes in the tail cap and keep a black Surefire lanyard on it.

i played with a eb2 at the store. i would much rather have the e2dlu. plus the light just looks cool before you even turn it on :)
was at church saturday night for a couples dinner. afterwards we were outside the fellowship building shining lights. they asked me to shine mine and they were amazed a little light could be so bright.

kgb1024

Newly Enlightened
You guys who own these, have you ever had an issue accessing the clicky? It looks like it is recessed pretty deep. I have an lx2 and a m2 centurion millennium series and I think they both have tactical switches. I want one on these lights but am curious about the tailcap.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an issue with it. I like that it can tail stand and is difficult to accidentally activate. It does take a small effort to press far enough to click but this is by design. It's made so you can press with your thumb across the switch without clicking into constant on mode. To click on you have to press deliberately with the tip of your thumb.

Stainz

Enlightened
It's always 'illuminating' to read CPF - you learn so much about your new flashlights! My original 120 L E2DL was getting long in the tooth physically, having been dropped within days of my early acquisition of the beast. It landed on sidewalk concrete - on it's crenelated tailswitch. Surefire replaced it - and the replacement when it's switch got blinky. Great warranty! Skip ahead to last summer - I added an E2DL U and an EB1 (200 L in silver). Only after reading the report on my E2DL U here re the green tint and the crenelation shadow did I notice either 'fault'. They certainly don't alter my high opinion of the E2DL U. Take criticisms here with grain of salt. Maybe I am just not so demanding.

Stainz

OT Why does this forum's replies of mine skip so many keystrokes? Only CPF! (15 errors in this sentence!)

Last edited: