Surefire e2dl ultra

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fluke 115 reads a peak of 1.757 amps with it on for approximately 15 seconds. This is while driven by two CR123s. Someone else can test how it does (if it survives) with RCR123s.

Grizz

Hm...that's starting to sound like the EB1 current draw.

I'll go get the popcorn now and sit this one out. I will order this light though. You can't beat 10watt worth of power in a compact Surefire with TIR :D

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this sucker throws bigger spill than an XP-G2 Malkoff. I was NOT expecting that.

I haven't even gotten outside with it yet, and I'm already a happy buyer.

Grizz

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Ultra arrived today.

The beam pattern really is as different from the standard E2D LED Defender as I've been led to believe. This is a good thing, since it differentiates it further from the other TIR'd lights.

The body and tailcap are fully E-series compatible which I was expecting/hoping to be the case. The knurling may be slightly more aggressive than my other like new E2L and L4 bodies. There is a second spring attached to the head.

For those interested in aesthetics, the anodizing matches quite well between body and tail. The head has a noticeably darker color, when viewed in really good light. It's very utilitarian compared to the natural anodizing of the E2L, L4, and LX2. I'm also very glad they've included the two-way clip on this iteration, since I've standardized on bezel down for all carry lights.

The tint is definitely greener than I would prefer, but this isn't much of a surprise. I've always really liked the white tints of my LX2 and E2D LED.

As expected, the level switching is performed in the head. I prefer the 15 lumen low of the LX2 over the 5 lumen low of the E2D LED. I'll know more about this low after it gets dark enough to see more than just the spot.

It slaughtered my LX2's reading at one meter of 9.30 Klux by delivering 18.36 Klux. Both lights were run off fresh CR123 cells. Oh ya, I'll be taking more measurements at 100 yards with this sucker in the near future.

Grizz

wow
The lux is sooo high for such a small bezel and only 10watts. That's crazy awesome. Just imagining a 15-20 watt bump!!!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see some runtime graph of the new Ultra. I measured 80min stable output with my E2DL 200lm model runned by Titanium Innovations, and 40min with Tenergy LifePo(after the first charging).
Surefire claims the same runtime with this 500lm Ultra as with the predecessor, if so it's great.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that the newer e-series lights (E2DL-U, EB1) are double sprung :thumbsup:

Illluminator

Newly Enlightened
Does the high draw on the battery mean this light will be poorly regulated? 18,000 candela sounds pretty awesome in this form factor...

Illluminator

Newly Enlightened
Will this light change modes when weapon mounted like the previous model? Or will the 2nd spring prevent this (I know two mode lights aren't generally recommended for use as weapon lights...)?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh. So the Ultra has a larger spill factor, but the old E2DL is a tight hotspot?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone know if the new ultra will fit a surefire v20 (i think it is) case?

I've got a Surefire Nylon holster, but I don't know which model it is. An E2D LED head is a snug fit in it, and the Ultra doesn't come close to going in. A 6P body goes in comfortably. If you plan for bezel up carry, any holster designed for an E-Series light will work.

Does the high draw on the battery mean this light will be poorly regulated? 18,000 candela sounds pretty awesome in this form factor...

I don't know if it will be poorly regulated, but it sure is effective. Maybe this weekend I'll burn through a set of primaries to see what it does.

Huh. So the Ultra has a larger spill factor, but the old E2DL is a tight hotspot?

Yes, the Ultra truly has a lot of spill. More than any other TIR'd or reflector'd light I own. The actual hot spots of both the E2DL and E2DLU are roughly the same size. The difference is in the size and intensity of the spill, with the Ultra having significantly more of both.

Grizz

devgru

Newly Enlightened
Botach is out of stock... but they sure didn't mind sitting on my order for 4 days before telling me.