Surefire E2O Fits 17670?

tenregular11

Newly Enlightened
There appear to be 2 type of bodies the incan outdoorman came with, one with classic flat sides and then the wider round sides. I have the body with the round sides and I need to know if AW 17670 will fit before I order the battery. Any users please chime in, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the incan models, but for the E2L,

Very old version with Luxeon III emitter = YES;
Newer version with Cree XR-E = NO;
Newest version with Osram Oslon Square = YES;

I assume the E2 incan would use the same body as the old luxeon III version.

For the lights that do take 17670, you can never guarantee that all cells will fit, but I've found that AW's protected 17670 are a good fit whereas the protected Sanyo 16650 are just a bit too long. A slightly off centre PCB could prevent it from fitting also.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
tenregular11,
I was lucky to find a NOS E2O Outdoorsman (HA) a number of months ago. It has 3 slightly-flattened panels arranged evenly on the body. One flattened area is underneath the long clip, and then the other two slightly-flattened panels are arranged equally around the tube. In other words, if you hold it so that the clip is exactly on top, the other two panels are not either facing you (or away from you) at exact right angles. They are a little bit closer to the exact opposite side of the clip.

And yes, mine does take a protected AW-brand "black label" 17670 cell, which I have currently paired with a Lumens Factory EO-E1R lamp assembly in it, which is a good choice for this light.

Last edited:

tenregular11

Newly Enlightened
tenregular11,
I was lucky to find a NOS E2O Outdoorsman (HA) a number of months ago. It has 3 slightly-flattened panels arranged evenly on the body. One flattened area is underneath the long clip, and then the other two slightly-flattened panels are arranged equally around the tube. In other words, if you hold it so that the clip is exactly on top, the other two panels are not either facing you (or away from you) at exact right angles. They are a little bit closer to the exact opposite side of the clip.

And yes, mine does take a protected AW-brand "black label" 17670 cell, which I have currently paired with a Lumens Factory EO-E1R lamp assembly in it, which is a good choice for this light.

I understand the 3 flats e2o takes 17670 with ease. But what about this "round" body?

surefiree2o.jpg

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to say it will probably not. However if it came in the same red box as pictured there's a strong possibility it will take a P17670. This is because even though they changed the body style back in 03' or 04' they didn't tighten up the body specs until around late 05' or sometime in 06'. I have had some E2e-BK lights from the 06' range in the red boxes with the old style Z61's that would BARELY accept P16340's after trying many of them. . So it's really impossible to say for sure just from the picture.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could take a ruler and post another pic of the body with the head end toward the camera and the ruler placed to show us a rough idea of the inside diameter,that may help.
Or you could go the 16650 route,better capacity too at around 1900mAh if only charged to 4.2 Volts.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both E2o bodies, and they both will take an IMR 17670. the older 3-flats has a little bit more room.

17.32mm ID for 3 rounded flats body
17.39mm ID for 3 flats body

17.29mm ID for a bored L4 Body

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going with a guess of, yes. If you pick up a some cheap precision calipers it may assist in this journey. Don't forget, not all batteries and their wrappers are created equal.

Wait, I just realized this thread is old! lol oh well, I will leave my comment.