Surefire EB1 vs. E1D

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a police officer and looking for a new EDC/backup light. I am torn between the Surefire EB1 tactical version vs. E1D. I really like the user interface with the EB1 tactical, but really hate the smooth design. I also don't like not having the option to tail stand this light. That is why I like the E1D because of the moderate knurling design and the tail cap switch, but don't like the user interface nor the crenelated bezel. I have read the threads for both lights but still can't come to a conclusion.

If I could get both lights I would, but unfortunately I can not. Any information/experience would be helpful. Thanks.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you pretty well summed up the differences between the EB1-T and E1D. My tastes are similar to yours in that I prefer the two-stage tactical switch vs. the High/Low clicky arrangement of the E1D. The same differences apply with their bigger brothers, the EB2-T and E2DL Ultra. There are some options that might make your choice easier . . .

1) Look up member MIK here on CPF. He does "dental work" on crenelated bezels making them much more pocket friendly. This might address your concerns with the E1D

2) Install a tail shroud on the EB1-T to improve grip. The upside to this is that your light will now tailstand and the flared tail will make it harder to slip out of your hand. The downside is that you will have to use the tip of your thumb to depress the button, making operation more of a deliberate action (this may not be all bad depending upon your circumstances). The following photo shows a titanium shroud from OVEREADY mounted on my EB2-C.

20140629181427-39f9301a-me.jpg

3) Take a look at the SwitchBack Backup from Thyrm. I carry my EB2-T nearly every day with this in place and absolutely love it. The (potential) downsides to this is that you give up constant-on operation and some may be concerned about having a rigid finger loop on the light. I did a review on the SwitchBack here.

FlashlightGuide_1988.jpg

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
880arm, thanks for the tips. I actually have the Thrym for my G2X but not a huge fan of it. I actually switched back to the Raven Concealment pocket clip, and might go for the E1D. I have been talking to MIK and seen some of his work, which looks really great.

46Alpha

Newly Enlightened
I was in the same boat as you, bought both and sold the one I didn't like. I ended up keeping the E1D and having it worked on by MIK. He does an outstanding job. For me, the problem I had with the EB1 was the VERY greenish tint (which I hear has been addressed in new lights) and the VERY tightly focused beam. I found when searching a dark area, I kind of got tunnel vision. It was great outdoors if you needed a little reach, but I wan't a fan indoors. The E1D addressed both for me. The beam shape and tint are far more neutral and multipurpose.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the same boat as you, bought both and sold the one I didn't like. I ended up keeping the E1D and having it worked on by MIK. He does an outstanding job. For me, the problem I had with the EB1 was the VERY greenish tint (which I hear has been addressed in new lights) and the VERY tightly focused beam. I found when searching a dark area, I kind of got tunnel vision. It was great outdoors if you needed a little reach, but I wan't a fan indoors. The E1D addressed both for me. The beam shape and tint are far more neutral and multipurpose.

Yup, I figured the benefits for the E1D outweighed the EB1. If only surefire could make an EB1 with an aggressive knurling and perfect beam, I would get it in a heartbeat.

chnzwh

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, the E1DL's interval between two brightness stages is set to 1 second rather than 2 seconds on E2DL/E2DL-U/E1B/EB1-C, which should make it slightly better fitted for tactical use comparing to the lights mentioned above.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good to hear that the E1DL's Hi/low switch is quicker, especially for me when I have to clear buildings.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
the EB1 was the VERY greenish tint (which I hear has been addressed in new lights) and the VERY tightly focused beam.

In case I do decide to get both later down the road, is there a quick way to tell the difference between the newer and older model?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
880arm, thanks for the tips. I actually have the Thrym for my G2X but not a huge fan of it. I actually switched back to the Raven Concealment pocket clip, and might go for the E1D. I have been talking to MIK and seen some of his work, which looks really great.

Yep, for the larger body lights I prefer the Raven Concealment clip too. Wish there was something like it for the E-series lights.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

You just wait, my friend... :)

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
A simple home solution I picked up here on CPF.
IMG_0665.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great idea!! I may have to pick up one of those small key rings from my local Walmart and try it out on the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

flashlight nut

Enlightened
This works well with the LX2 also. I got the split rings from Lighthound (size 5 I believe) and the oring from the hardware store (same size as the Raven Concealment Clip).
DC3A7594-713F-4469-8E8C-10BC0181F424.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
That lanyard attachment point is one of the greatest features of the L series lights. I wish SF would revive that series.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me there is no contest. I love my E1DL. Fits in my hand with no worry of it slipping out. Beautiful white beam that just destroys the darkness. Tail stands like a champ. Comes on in high with a quick light press for low. An EB1 cannot even touch this beauty.

Last edited: