Surefire EDC Options: how important is "virtually indestructible"?

R

raindog308

Newly Enlightened
Looking for an EDC light and I really like Surefire. My daily use is walking at night in sketchy neighborhoods (Portland, OR) and near-dusk/dawn forest, as well as other routine uses.

Surefire discontinued the E1B but offer the E1B-MV. Many of the SF models say they have a "Virtually indestructible LED emitter" but this one does not. In fact, I don't think any of their MaxVision models have this language. I favor ruggedness/reliability over a wider beam. Should I be concerned that this one isn't "virtually indestructible"?

E1B-MV400 lum/5 lum1.25 hr/50 hrOne 123A3.9" length2.95 oz weight
EDCL1-T500 lum/5 lum1 hr/45 hrOne 123A4.5" length3.3 oz weight
EDCL2-T1200 lum/5 lum1 hr/60 hrTwo 123A5.84" length4.1 oz weight
E2D Defender Ultra1000 lum/5 lum2.75 hr/63 hrTwo 123A5.6" length4.2 oz weight

I have the original E2D Defender (non-Ultra) and like it, but find the crenelated bezel makes it less than optimal for carrying around - it's rather sharp - and I am not really looking to engage in hand-to-hand combat with my flashlight. I was hoping to find something not quite as long.

Thanks for any advice!

Olumin

Olumin

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
There's no difference. Surefire started using this marketing phrase to advertise the durability of LED emitters in their early LED flashlights as opposed to the xenon bulbs that were common at the time. I used a G2x MV for a few years every single day, it was essentially my only flashlight at the time.

W

WaltH

Enlightened
Looking for an EDC light and I really like Surefire. My daily use is walking at night in sketchy neighborhoods (Portland, OR) and near-dusk/dawn forest, as well as other routine uses.

Surefire discontinued the E1B but offer the E1B-MV. Many of the SF models say they have a "Virtually indestructible LED emitter" but this one does not. In fact, I don't think any of their MaxVision models have this language. I favor ruggedness/reliability over a wider beam. Should I be concerned that this one isn't "virtually indestructible"?

E1B-MV400 lum/5 lum1.25 hr/50 hrOne 123A3.9" length2.95 oz weight
EDCL1-T500 lum/5 lum1 hr/45 hrOne 123A4.5" length3.3 oz weight
EDCL2-T1200 lum/5 lum1 hr/60 hrTwo 123A5.84" length4.1 oz weight
E2D Defender Ultra1000 lum/5 lum2.75 hr/63 hrTwo 123A5.6" length4.2 oz weight

I have the original E2D Defender (non-Ultra) and like it, but find the crenelated bezel makes it less than optimal for carrying around - it's rather sharp - and I am not really looking to engage in hand-to-hand combat with my flashlight. I was hoping to find something not quite as long.

Thanks for any advice!
FWIW , I’ve been carrying the original warrior mini for a couple years. I torture tested it with water as well as throwing it 30 feet in the air over concrete. Dents and scuffs. Still works perfect.

Enlightened
I wouldn’t sleep on the stiletto pro for an edc either. Nice shape for carry.

D

DRW

Newly Enlightened
EB1-MV is an easy carry.

You can't really go wrong with Surefire.

Given the context of the OPs use, Surefire is probably overkill. There are lot's of really good consumer grade lights that will never let you down in the urban jungle known as Portland.

Any of the Fenix EDC rechargeable USB-C lights would be a very good choice. Easier to maintain, and you can probably buy a small and fullsize for the cost of one Surefire.