SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Goguy08

Newly Enlightened
Just my observation on the possibility of fake items (including lights and knives). Usually for clones to appear, the item has to be high value, high demand, and been released for a period of time.

While the EDC2-DFT has been out long enough for cloning factories to set up tooling to make the item, I believe the price point ($200-ish) and demand doesn't currently drive an incentive for them to do so. Many of the cloned lights I've seen are in excess of $300 and there's a huge demand over supply for them. One of many examples is Barrel flashlights being cloned by Maeerxu; also Hankos are commonly cloned.

A quick search of the availability of a clone for this light didn't show anyone buying one or finding them on Chinese sale sites (yet).

I would say you likely have a genuine item, but maybe just a bad example.
Thank you for the response, and I hope people don't view my post the wrong way. I am a big fan of Surefire, and I buy their lights whenever the situation permits, as well as any other US-made products. I think that occasional criticism is necessary for the industry to thrive. I will try to write them an Email to inquire about the circumstances I have.

Attachments

• DSC07037.JPG
    DSC07037.JPG
    545.6 KB · Views: 92
But that lights were sold as Maeerxu, not Barrel or J.Hanko. It is still a clone, but everyone was knowing it is a clone.

Yup, a copy by another name is still a copy. Like when Spyderco discontinued the Slysz Bowie and the market drove the price of a $300 knife (really worth $200) up to $600+. The Chinese sites started to pop up with clones under different names, some with and some without the blatant Spyderco logo lasered on to the blade.

Thank you for the response, and I hope people don't view my post the wrong way. I am a big fan of Surefire, and I buy their lights whenever the situation permits, as well as any other US-made products. I think that occasional criticism is necessary for the industry to thrive. I will try to write them an Email to inquire about the circumstances I have.

I read no negativity in your post. 😁

I would call to get a quicker response. Email seems to be delayed…

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just my observation on the possibility of fake items (including lights and knives). Usually for clones to appear, the item has to be high value, high demand, and been released for a period of time.

While the EDC2-DFT has been out long enough for cloning factories to set up tooling to make the item, I believe the price point ($200-ish) and demand doesn't currently drive an incentive for them to do so. Many of the cloned lights I've seen are in excess of $300 and there's a huge demand over supply for them. One of many examples is Barrel flashlights being cloned by Maeerxu; also Hankos are commonly cloned.

A quick search of the availability of a clone for this light didn't show anyone buying one or finding them on Chinese sale sites (yet).

I would say you likely have a genuine item, but maybe just a bad example.
The issue is, it's a SureFire and a latest release model. So you know there are already fakes of it floating around. Still, since the new member's was bought from a trusted dealer; it's more likely a poor example that squeaked by SureFire's usually excellent Q.C. inspections.

Whistler24

Newly Enlightened
I am somehow disappointed in purchasing this flashlight, but I will give credit where credit is due. While the build quality is fantastic, as predicted per Surefire, the finish of their products is degraded because the light I bought came with surface blemishes, roll marks, and signs of what I assume to be prior usage. Perhaps these marks were from the manufacturing process, or it was simply a re-packed customer-returned specimen since these lights are in high demand. The threads were bone dry as I received it, with no lube.

The beam pattern of this light is awful. At close-up, due to the misaligned emitter and reflector, the corona resembles the silhouette of a flower; however, the beam pattern is acceptable at a distance(you wouldn't be able to tell anyway.)

Let's talk about the bezel, and this thing is freaking huge(I know, the specs are clearly written on their product webpage, and I was hot-headed when I decided to buy this light!) The bezel diameter is as big as the G2X! If I want to carry a big chunk of metal in my pocket, I won't prioritize this light that costs nearly 300 USD. In my opinion, these newer-generation E-series lights have lost their identities of being "compact and elite."

This light uses a Surefire Dual Fuel Thread Pattern, meaning you won't be able to use the body to pair with the other older-gen E-series light heads. I suspect that Surefire will phase out the traditional E-series thread pattern, as many of those lights are being discontinued and replaced with the dual fuel thread pattern "E-series" lights.

A beam shot of the EDC1-DFT is on the left, and the G2X is on the right.
Yep, when I opened my edc2-dft there were many marks and scuffs from what I would assume is the manufacturing process, and I also have a flower like silhouette(almost looks like an artichoke) (tried taking a picture of it but it doesn't want to show up in pics). Additionally my threads were also horribly dry - looks like we had the exact same issues. (or are they all just like that?)

That deep parabolic reflector Is part of the reason they can get so much distance out of just a 700 lumen high mode, down side is the head is pretty big. However, I'd rather that than a light that needs 2000 lumens to reach a couple hundred meters with the emitter sitting an 1/8" behind the glass.

As far as the DF thread pattern; give it some time, in a few years the DF will be the new "lego" platform and you'll be able to exchange back and forth, Theres already malkoff, weltool, modlite options for the DF.

The issue is, it's a SureFire and a latest release model. So you know there are already fakes of it floating around. Still, since the new member's was bought from a trusted dealer; it's more likely a poor example that squeaked by SureFire's usually excellent Q.C. inspections.

The thing is, I haven't found any fakes that can be readily purchased.

Whistler24

Newly Enlightened
highly doubt its a fake - try looking at the emitter, you should see the SF logo on the MCPCB, could be wrong but I don't think replicas would go to that extent.

below is my edc2-dft

Attachments

• PXL_20240111_202612811.jpg
    PXL_20240111_202612811.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 103

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
I was originally slightly underwhelmed with my EDC1-DFT Turbo, but I've come to appreciate is a bit more.
The slight roughness in the threads was addressed with a bit of grease, and is now smooth. The 25 lumen low setting turns out to be rather more useful outdoors at night than the 5 lumen from my Backup. The splashback is still annoying, but tolerable except in wooded areas, where one can hardly see past the brush. There's no perfect solution, merely various alternatives.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, when I opened my edc2-dft there were many marks and scuffs from what I would assume is the manufacturing process, and I also have a flower like silhouette(almost looks like an artichoke) (tried taking a picture of it but it doesn't want to show up in pics). Additionally my threads were also horribly dry - looks like we had the exact same issues. (or are they all just like that?)

That deep parabolic reflector Is part of the reason they can get so much distance out of just a 700 lumen high mode, down side is the head is pretty big. However, I'd rather that than a light that needs 2000 lumens to reach a couple hundred meters with the emitter sitting an 1/8" behind the glass.

As far as the DF thread pattern; give it some time, in a few years the DF will be the new "lego" platform and you'll be able to exchange back and forth, Theres already malkoff, weltool, modlite options for the DF.
The Weltool BB6 body won't fit using the EDC2 head (I'm assuming it won't with an EDC1 either) using a 40mm long 18350. It does work with a 35mm 18350 though.

I must have got a nice clean EDC2 because mine doesn't have any flaws that I can see. I love this light, best light I've bought in a long time.
A lot of complaints I read about the light usually come down to it not being something other than what it actually is. It has a large head, length wise, to house a deep reflector to get the high candela beam it has. The light is also a bit generally bigger than an average E series due to it being DF and taking larger batteries.
I actually think the light is pretty sleek for an 18650 thrower.
My light has the flower/artichoke corona at close range but it's a non issue in use. This light has an excellent beam/reflector.
Threads came pretty dry on mine also, I cleaned and lubed mine straight away.

The DF thread is definitely a better platform for 18350/18650 than shoe-horning them into an E series body.

kj2

Flashaholic
Anyone here know a seller/dealer in Europe, where the EDC2-DFT can be purchase from?
Asked my local SF dealer 2-3 months ago but or they don't want to stock it, or they've no intrest in selling..

random_name

Newly Enlightened
Will the z68 tailcaps fit on these? Moving from a e2d defender from 2014 to a edc2-dft but I think I'm gonna miss the e2d tailcap style.

random_name

Newly Enlightened
They will but there's a a bit of a drop off as the the dft body is a bit bigger than the e series
Thanks.

I mostly want to be able to tail stand it. That came in a lot handier than I thought it would in thr past 10 years I've been edcing this e2d.

random_name

Newly Enlightened
Same, hopefully they'll have a df defender before too long.
I'd love a df defender. My 2014 defender has been my only "good" flashlight since I got it. Everything has was just cheap disposable Walmart lights. If I wanted to wait more I would wait for a df defender.

Unfortunately I want to buy now so edc2-dft it is.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my EDC1-DFT today. Pretty cool light. No complaints yet. :) Good size. Low is really bright. Nice serial number. Love the wider than body tailcap! Throw is incredible! Waiting for dark.

Edit: I noticed that if I run it with a Surefire SF123 primary for more than a few minutes I can no longer switch to low mode. Or it may take several tries. If I put the 18350 back in then it works normally again. Strange.

SDE_6190.jpegIMG_7650.jpeg

Last edited: