SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Thats great news!

The last new surefires that i purchased, titan plus and fury, had a super green tint.

Looks like a cool little light!

adhoc

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate the info. But every time I check B&H, they have extensive closures to observe holidays. This week they close June 11, reopen Friday. It's excessive.

Instinct tells me to avoid that place.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
BrightGuy Flashlights offers some pretty good deals and fast delivery. If you search their location, it's a brick'n mortar in Michigan..
Edit: next door in Ohio

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
Appreciate the info. But every time I check B&H, they have extensive closures to observe holidays. This week they close June 11, reopen Friday. It's excessive.

No, they are a Jewish company, so they observe all the many Jewish holidays. I have ordered thousands of dollars including computers from them. They are excellent.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

It can be a bit frustrating. I've bought from them for more years than I can remember. I never found their religious holiday closures to be excessive. Just occasional and a bit annoying. But B&H has always been run by religious Jews. As such, the closures are understandable.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
BrightGuy Flashlights offers some pretty good deals and fast delivery. If you search their location, it's a brick'n mortar in Michigan..
Edit: next door in Ohio
I always check there first, if I know B&H won't have it in stock due to not being one of the brands they deal with. But usually I end up checking Battery Junction, and always finding what I'm looking for there; instead. I have ordered from Bright Guy in the past. But their selection ain't what it used to be.

leng

Newly Enlightened
I got my EDC2-DFT from B&H. No issues, they even threw in a free Kleen Kanteen water bottle with the order.
I also purchased an EDC2 from B&H, no issue to report at all. I'm jealous of the water bottle you got.. for me they did throw in an Olight EOS light..

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
Been tempted to pick one of these lights up for a while... Or buying 1 in 18350 and 1 in 18650 just to have both.

Does anybody have any runtime charts that shows the actual output and at what minute mark to see how much it steps down over time?

Thanks gents.

leng

Newly Enlightened
Been tempted to pick one of these lights up for a while... Or buying 1 in 18350 and 1 in 18650 just to have both.

Does anybody have any runtime charts that shows the actual output and at what minute mark to see how much it steps down over time?

Thanks gents.
Here's one from Werkz and their review: YT Link

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
SF EDC DFT 10 Minute chart.jpg
SF EDC DFT FULL RUNTIME CHART.jpg

Alright, so I found these (2) charts regarding the runtime/output of both lights in question. -- just in case anybody is interested.
As you can see, from the 1st chart, the DFT 1 steps all the way down to approximately 330 lumens and the DFT 2 steps down to approximately 433 lumens within the first 1–2-minute mark of turning the light on.

After that however, they both seem to do a pretty good job of holding that output for a prolonged period of time. The EDC1 gets about 1 hour at that sustained output and the EDC 2 gets about 1 hour 45 minutes - 2 hours of that sustained output.

For their intended use, I feel that this is acceptable - however with that said I strongly feel companies should provide graphs/charts of the lights runtime such as the ones attached.

Marketing gets a muddy when a company claims a light will be outputting 100k CD and 700 lumens... when the light DOES that as per ANSI standards...but in real world use, say you are room clearing a large structure, say a big, abandoned warehouse or very large hospital. No power available while at night being pitch black, I'd suggest considering these (2) things.

1) If you are entering a large structure that needs to be cleared, you could potentially be in said structure for approx. 15 minutes - 45 minutes, depending on rooms/floors/layout, ect.
IF the EDC2 is your carry light, you're going to lose about 40ish% of the advertised output within the first 90 seconds of turning your light on.

2) The light being super candela heavy, for indoor use isn't optimal. I think for room clearing and things of that nature you'd want to be using a light that has less CD, I feel around the 50k mark is the sweet spot, with increased lumens to really light up the room no matter where your light is pointed. -- I know a high CD light will umbrella as well, but the room like be noticeably dimmer then if using a light with higher lumen.

*(sidenote the reason I give this type of example is because I feel like these lights are directly made for and targeting the "tactical" community such as military / LEO ect. It is / should also be obvious that these lights are absolutely terrible choices for edc lights. Unless you carry a light specifically for a Self-Defence role and subscribe to thinking your going to be able to blind an adversary with it.

All of this brings me to a potential alternative to something like the SF EDC 1 + 2.

How about a Modlite OKW light head attached via modlites adapter to a HOG body that runs on a 21700 cell?

You now have approximately 70k candela and 700ish lumens, which is running on a 21700 cell allowing the light to run substantially longer (runtime wise) but more importantly more STABLE without stepping down quite as quickly as the SF EDC 1 + 2's stepping down in the first 2 minutes ... The Modlite listed above should be able to sustain the listed output for approximately 8-9minutes (ish) before stepping down in any major/noticeable way.

The difference in size between the listed modlite vs the SF EDC 2 would be negligible. Along with that, another pro with the modlite would be - depending on what you are tasked with on that specific day, you can change out the light head between the OKW and PLHv2 in seconds. OKW when in more open areas/fields and such and PLHv2 when in more of an urban environment/apartment complex/ room clearings ect. Paying homage to the "mod" in modlite. With the SF ECT 1 + 2 your stuck with the higher CD and lower lumen options. No alterative light head to change out to make the light more practical for the tasks at hand.

Before I finish up (on the off chance anybody is still reading)
The reason I began looking into these lights again today is because tomorrow I was going to drive over to the store and purchase the DFT 1 + 2 (not sure which colors just yet)...

But after this analysis, I'm not 100% sure I should bother buying them at all.

This isn't an end all be all, and the light graphs came from werks holsters tests, so as far as accuracy goes ... who knows?

With that said, let me know what you guys think... and if you guys think I should go and buy an EDC 1 + 2 tomorrow in the morning and see what I think of them after I've actually got my hands on them.

Sometimes specs don't tell the whole story. So may be worth picking them up...?
Let me know your thoughts, thanks guys!

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sustained output for several minutes without turning the light into an insane hand-warmer. Streamlight recently released a model that can do that at around 1200 lumens. I have an Eagtac rated at over 1700 lumens that can do it. But being Emitter numbers instead of out-the-front, I'd hazard a guess that it too is pumping out a sustained, approximate 1200 lumens as well. That currently seems to be the height of LED technology nowadays for sustained output.

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
Sustained output for several minutes without turning the light into an insane hand-warmer. Streamlight recently released a model that can do that at around 1200 lumens. I have an Eagtac rated at over 1700 lumens that can do it. But being Emitter numbers instead of out-the-front, I'd hazard a guess that it too is pumping out a sustained, approximate 1200 lumens as well. That currently seems to be the height of LED technology nowadays for sustained output.
Thanks, can I ask what model stream light in particular so I can have a look. I'm guessing its going to be a bit of a bigger light - or comparable to what were discussed?

Also, not looking for 1200 lumens sustained for super long. But something about the surefire EDC 1 + 2 stepping down in a major way within 2 minutes of turn on is a little bit of a turn off, wouldn't you say?

Also do you have the EDC 1 +2 if so what are your thoughts?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Definitely a turn-off.
Don't have either light because their U.I.s are absolutely horrible for my needs. As for that Streamlight model, it's the Strion 2020 one. Though not everyone seems to be happy with the forward switch. My Eagtac is the P200LR model (latest version). Actually a bit shorter in length than the Strion 2020.