SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
Definitely a turn-off.
Don't have either light because their U.I.s are absolutely horrible for my needs. As for that Streamlight model, it's the Strion 2020 one. Though not everyone seems to be happy with the forward switch. My Eagtac is the P200LR model (latest version). Actually a bit shorter in length than the Strion 2020.
Yeah, I've seen the strion. Just not a huge fan of that switch - I like high/lo actuated by the tailcap press so I can use it with 1 hand while my other hand is occupied. -- Thank you though!

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
Here they are in a completely non tactical environment. As far as how they perform in use, they're absolutely top notch.
View attachment 63379
Great picture!
If you can be unbiased and step away from the fact that you might like surefire brand or that you spent $450-500 on those.

Can you speak in a objective manner on the performance?

Specifically, if you turn the light on in a dark room... and use it for about 3 minutes. Can you notice a difference in beam intensity / output / room looking dimmer ect with your naked eye? -- I'm going to assume yes, but figured id ask since you have your hands on them.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure can, I'll call a spade a spade regardless.
Can't say I've noticed in use but I do usually use them in short bursts. I have tested to check the step down and I did notice it but I can't say it was a meaningful test (watching for it in a room).
Keep in mind that these lights are still putting out something like 50Kcd after step down (I think?).
No light is really going to be a jack of all trades without compromise. These are throwers but I still think the beam can be pretty versatile.
From your case scenario above that you discussed I think you'd need a bigger light like a two cell Malkoff (MD4 body HD or WC). Or even a single cell Hounddog 18650XT (also a much bigger light) which has a more direct drive curve after the battery does its best to give constant full output for as long as it can (also about 50 vs 100Kcd).

For what the EDC1/2 actually are, I think the parameters of the driver etc are just fine and as far as a quality small, punchy light goes they're definitely up there with the best.
I think you'd be really impressed by them in person but if they don't fit your intended use then they're not for you.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
It you're really interested, and for whatever it's worth. I'll go for a walk tonight with both lights and give them a decent run in closed and open ground where they can stretch their legs a bit and give you my impression on the effects of the step down?

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
Sure can, I'll call a spade a spade regardless.
Can't say I've noticed in use but I do usually use them in short bursts. I have tested to check the step down and I did notice it but I can't say it was a meaningful test (watching for it in a room).
Keep in mind that these lights are still putting out something like 50Kcd after step down (I think?).
No light is really going to be a jack of all trades without compromise. These are throwers but I still think the beam can be pretty versatile.
From your case scenario above that you discussed I think you'd need a bigger light like a two cell Malkoff (MD4 body HD or WC). Or even a single cell Hounddog 18650XT (also a much bigger light) which has a more direct drive curve after the battery does its best to give constant full output for as long as it can (also about 50 vs 100Kcd).

For what the EDC1/2 actually are, I think the parameters of the driver etc are just fine and as far as a quality small, punchy light goes they're definitely up there with the best.
I think you'd be really impressed by them in person but if they don't fit your intended use then they're not for you.
So funny you mentioned the Malkoff HD's.

I've been on the hunt for a while and landed on an 18650 XT v2 w/ 21700 body. The thing is a tank and runs its output around 900 lumens and 55k CD pretty damn sustained for a prolonged period of time, if I'm not mistaken It's sustained output for the first 45 or so minutes - then starts to drop.

To me, that's perfect. - with the low mode as well it's such a versatile light. It's beyond impressive outside and inside. It's been my go to light since I've gotten it. Can't really ask for more in a light especially running on just 1 cell.

With that said, you are right it's a bigger light then the SF and modlite… so not necessarily fair to compare them. I don't walk around with the HD in my pocket… but it's easily carried on a tac/ duty belt.

Was thinking about buying the HD with md4 body to have an option to run multiple cells for even longer runtimes…. Might grab that instead of the SF's

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
It you're really interested, and for whatever it's worth. I'll go for a walk tonight with both lights and give them a decent run in closed and open ground where they can stretch their legs a bit and give you my impression on the effects of the step down?
That would be nice, if your going out anyway do me that favor so I can hear back. But don't go out of ur way!

As of right now I'm leaning towards NOT buying them anymore because of that quick step down up front, and also super high CD - I live in an urban environment I think 50k cd (ish) with a bit more lumens does more good.

Might be better off sticking with what I have now, the Malkoff 18650 XT and the modlites

And maybe add the md4 HD as my bag / jeep light - any idea if the md4 HD is regulated?

akula88

Enlightened
As of right now I'm leaning towards NOT buying them anymore because of that quick step down up front, and also super high CD - I live in an urban environment I think 50k cd (ish) with a bit more lumens does more good.

Might be better off sticking with what I have now, the Malkoff 18650 XT and the modlites

I have a lot of SF's, but I like the large hotspot and spill of my P2X Fury (600 Lu) in wading indoors. However, if I need to do a punch, my high candela EDCL1-T outperforms even my modded direct-drive (h17f) E2L with XPL-Hi.

EDCL's Osram W1 together with the deep reflector/optic provides a nice punch especially with urban environment's light pollutions.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so I did a quick test. A pretty simple one considering you said that you've already talked yourself out of buying one.

I was inside with the EDC 1 and 2 and also Malkoff HD 18650XT.
I shone the 2 first of all, at a wall with shelving filled with stuff around 15 feet or so away and started the stopwatch on my watch. I handheld the light around shoulder height and a watched and waited.
Interestingly I noticed no step down and stopped pointing at my target around the 5 and a half minute mark. At this point the hotspot was still noticeably brighter than the 18650XT.
I then turned the light off and back on around 3 seconds later. Did it appear brighter? I think so?

I repeated the same process with the 1 and had the same experience.

I thought I'd noticed the step down when I first got the lights but come to think of it I think I just ran them for a while and fiddled around then shone them back at a wall comparing to another light.
I'll do another test where I set the light down shining at a white wall and see if I notice.

Long story short, under the conditions above, I did not notice a step down on either the 1 or 2 during a 5 plus minute run.
I'm not saying a step down didn't happen, I just didn't notice it, so when it does happen it must be a smooth gradual ramp not an abrupt change.

I'll do another check next on a white wall with the lights set down on something.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright so here's what happened. I used a tablet with lux meter app at around 10 feet and by looking at the readings I could see that it definitely stepped down (I only tested the 2). This took place roughly past the minute mark to around past the 2 minute mark or so. I didn't have anything logging data, just watching the tablet read out and my stop watch.
I did not physically notice the step down except by seeing the numbers reduce on the read out.

Next I had the light pointing at a white wall so I could keep all my attention purely on trying to notice the step down and occasionally checking my watch.
I could not notice the step down even though I knew when to be looking out for it. It's just so smooth and gradual that it's undetectable.
I did get a feeling that it was less bright but nothing really obvious.

Honestly the results surprised me as I expected more obvious goings on.
I'd have to conclude that the lights performed excellently and even after owning them for a little while they impressed me.
I never would have bothered doing these tests but I'm glad I did and hopefully it's interesting or helpful to others.
I definitely had never noticed any step down in use before, now I know why.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a lot of SF's, but I like the large hotspot and spill of my P2X Fury (600 Lu) in wading indoors. However, if I need to do a punch, my high candela EDCL1-T outperforms even my modded direct-drive (h17f) E2L with XPL-Hi.

EDCL's Osram W1 together with the deep reflector/optic provides a nice punch especially with urban environment's light pollutions.
The EDCL1-T is a great light but in my opinion it's pretty weak on throw. The EDC1-DFT is a world apart in performance.

I modded my EDCL1-T with an Osram and it's now a different animal. It still can't compete with the EDC1-DFT though (not even close).

I'm surprised your modded E2L with H17F and XPL-Hi doesn't out do your stock EDCL1-T. The EDCL1-T only has a standard XPL (HD).

Supercharged EDCL1-T (Osram).
IMG_4909.jpeg

Stock board and LED from EDCL1-T.
IMG_4910.jpeg

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes to the HD/MD4 being regulated. It seems to be pretty good and efficient too.
I have an older XML2/reflector model that keeps good regulation on long runs. I don't have any figures but I can say it's good.
I'm sure the new ones are equally as good or better.
Someone in the Malkoff section could tell you more, I'm sure.

akula88

Enlightened
The EDCL1-T is a great light but in my opinion it's pretty weak on throw. The EDC1-DFT is a world apart in performance.

I modded my EDCL1-T with an Osram and it's now a different animal. It still can't compete with the EDC1-DFT though (not even close).

I'm surprised your modded E2L with H17F and XPL-Hi doesn't out do your stock EDCL1-T. The EDCL1-T only has a standard XPL (HD).
Sorry, I got the model names mixed up. :D EDCL1-T alluded on my previous post was actually EDC1-DFT

Yes, EDC1-DFT wins by a large margin

20231212_112418.jpg

20231212_173114.jpg

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
Alright so here's what happened. I used a tablet with lux meter app at around 10 feet and by looking at the readings I could see that it definitely stepped down (I only tested the 2). This took place roughly past the minute mark to around past the 2 minute mark or so. I didn't have anything logging data, just watching the tablet read out and my stop watch.
I did not physically notice the step down except by seeing the numbers reduce on the read out.

Next I had the light pointing at a white wall so I could keep all my attention purely on trying to notice the step down and occasionally checking my watch.
I could not notice the step down even though I knew when to be looking out for it. It's just so smooth and gradual that it's undetectable.
I did get a feeling that it was less bright but nothing really obvious.

Honestly the results surprised me as I expected more obvious goings on.
I'd have to conclude that the lights performed excellently and even after owning them for a little while they impressed me.
I never would have bothered doing these tests but I'm glad I did and hopefully it's interesting or helpful to others.
I definitely had never noticed any step down in use before, now I know why.
Interesting. Very interesting.
I may go and grab them just for the hell of it.
I'd imagine doing the same test outside at range might show more of a difference. Lighting something up 250 yards away at turn on vs at the 4-5 minute mark.

thanks for the tests and update!

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Very interesting.
I may go and grab them just for the hell of it.
I'd imagine doing the same test outside at range might show more of a difference. Lighting something up 250 yards away at turn on vs at the 4-5 minute mark.

thanks for the tests and update!
I reckon you're right. Particularly if you had two lights side by side. One that has been on for a few minutes and past the step down and the other just turned on before the step down.

Yes, I found it interesting how difficult it was to discern the step down. Quite surprising.
They're great lights, if it's within your means I can't see you not liking them if you get them.
I'd be interested to hear your opinions and from anyone else who has them.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you get it open?

I'm halfway between putting a 519a on it for nice flood or the Osram for best throw.
That'd be a nice one.
Heat it up and when you think you've heated it up enough, heat it up some more.

I'd recommend using a heat gun around the sides.
I used some vice grips (channel locks would also work) with some rubber strips to protect the aluminium to unscrew the pieces.
Heating and testing if it'll unscrew periodically is probably more sensible. If it doesn't feel like it wants to go, up your heating effort.

The head is basically three pieces. Bezel/TIR/TIR retaining ring. You don't need to remove the retaining ring, the bezel and TIR can stay as one piece.
Middle piece (male threads both ends) with LED/MCPCB one side, driver/contact on the other.
Body side piece, which basically retains the driver/contact.

Some come apart more easily than others. Take your time and gauge your way through it.

Lights and Guns

Enlightened
I reckon you're right. Particularly if you had two lights side by side. One that has been on for a few minutes and past the step down and the other just turned on before the step down.

Yes, I found it interesting how difficult it was to discern the step down. Quite surprising.
They're great lights, if it's within your means I can't see you not liking them if you get them.
I'd be interested to hear your opinions and from anyone else who has them.
So, I went ahead and headed over to B&H today. Was a good experience beautiful big store and employees were very helpful. Grabbed both an EDC 1 + 2 as pictured. They also threw in the small olight and the bottle for free. Nice touch I suppose, the bottle is from a reputable brand and seems like it's made up of solid construction. (See picture 1)

Moving along. I opened the packaging and got the lights in hand. The lights felt and looked great. I always thought both the lights were kind of ugly looking at pictures online, and they also looked massive for whatever reason. To my delight in person this wasn't actually the case. The lights are well within the size of what I am used to carrying (if not a bit smaller). As for colors I went with black on the 1 and HA Gray on the 2.

After the sun went down, I headed outside with (4) lights for testing. EDC 1 + 2, Modlite PlhV2 head on a 21700 body and a Malkoff HD XT 18650 on a 21700 body. (See photo #2) - keep in mind modlite and the Malkoff are running on a 21700, this will be important later on. Also, make a note of the size difference between the EDC 1 + 2 compared to the modlite and Malkoff in photo 2 as this is relevant and will be mentioned again later.

Moving along to the test. The test was of a structure in a park nearby, the structure was approximately 50-70 yards from my position, flat land without any obstructions in the way. It was dark out, but a decent amount of ambient light from lampposts.

For reference, all the pictures of the structure are at a 5x zoom. This allowed me to show you guys what the lights are actually capable of, without the zoom you would miss the finer details, a lot of which my eyes missed in person, but had I been looking through a glass on a long gun or binos, it would be very noticeable - so therefore relevant.
Photo #3 is of the structure without any flashlight activated.

Photo #4 - Modlite PLHv2
Photo #5 - SF EDC 1
Photo #6 - SF EDC 2
Photo #7 - Malkoff HD 18650 XT v2
NOTE*- with the exception of the Malkoff, all of the lights pictured had been constantly running for 10-15 minutes, allowing for all of them to step - down, so what your seeing in the photos is of these lights POST step - down, which is QUITE impressive IMO

Pictures #8 and #9 were taken PRE step down. To achieve this, I turned the lights off and then back on to reach their max potential again, shortly after taking the picture.

Picture #8 modlite PLHv2
Pitcure #9 SF DFT EDC 2
Picture #10 SF DFT EDC 2 - LOW MODE

My observations are as follows.

As you can see from picture #3 the structure is quite dark, and you can't make anything out of what's inside the structure, so much so if a human being was inside there, trying to hide you'd not be able to see them.

I'll allow for you guys to look through the photos and take from them what you will, I'm not an expert photographer but it gives a representation of what each light has to offer.

In conclusion:

After about an hour of being at the location and cycling through the lights, I can say with certainly that I fell in love with both the SF EDC 1 + 2.
I wasn't expecting to be, but I was blown away by their performance.

At turn on, they are both unbelievably bright and able to throw far, they both step down at around the 1 minute and 15 second mark. After that the output is regulated for the majority of the battery life so there isn't any more stepping down until close to the end of the batteries life.

Even after the step down, both the EDC 1 + 2 are putting out a seriously nice and useable beam, still able to see everything I was prior to the step down in regard to the structure, but just a bit more "dim". You can't really tell much of a difference besides maybe being able to ascertain that less lumens are making it to the target - so it's not quite as lit up as it was, but it's negligible considering your still able to light up the structure and be able to see everything you saw previous to step down.

The modlite and Malkoff both performed well, but for their size, (both larger then the EDC 1 + 2, and heavier) they didn't outperform the EDC 1 + 2 … on the contrary I feel the EDC 1 + 2 both outperformed the modlite and malkoff.

Whenever I pointed the Malkoff and modlite at the structure I got to see what I needed but the light was dispersed a bit too much, due to the lower CD and see everything but in a little more "dimmer" fashion then the EDC 1+ 2, they had a narrower beam / area of illumination, but what was illuminated almost looking brighter. Not by a large margin by any means, but enough to be noted in my mind and enough to report on here.

As far as heat went, I had these lights on (particularly the EDC 2) for at least 25-30 minutes straight, at no point did the light get hot. At most it got "warm" but nowhere near warm enough to have made my hand uncomfortable to hold the light.

Finishing up, I feel like the sleek design of the EDC 1 + 2 are super ergonomic and feel extremely comfortable in my hand while in use. The button falls in the perfect place, is responsive and easy to actuate. Considering the size difference and the fact that the Malkoff and modlite were running on 21700 batteries and the surefire were running on 18350 / 18650 … it speaks volumes.

I'd suggest anybody on the fence about buying the SF EDC 1 or 2 to not hesitate and buy it.

After tonight's testing I'll not only be keeping both EDC lights but will start EDCing them moving forward starting tomorrow. The high would be too much light for about 99% of edc needs, but as a SD light the high is perfect and the low mode is perfect for about 99% of any edc light task I'd need on a regular basic. (Looking under car seat, behind cabinet. Ect)

I'm a huge fan of the EDC 1 + 2 and am happy I decided to pull the trigger and grab them to test out for myself.

Lastly, I will touch on the difference I noticed between the EDC 1 + 2.

They are really really similar in every way, the amount of light they push out and the throw are just about the same pre step down, and even after step down. However the EDC 1 seems to be ever so slightly less bright then the EDC 2 side by side at distance. This makes sense as the 1 runs approximately 80-100 lumens less then the EDC 2 after step down. Again it's barely noticeable and if I didn't have the 2 lights side by side I wouldn't have noticed. With that said if your looking for the max you can get out of these lights, obviously going with the EDC 2 for longer runtime and about 100 lumen higher sustain output throughout the life of the battery would be the way to go. Those are really the only 2 differences I can point out between the two. As both seem to push out around the same amount of lumens and CD at turn on, and even after step down, which I was quite surprised by!

Hopefully that wasn't too boring of a read and special thanks to F89 - without him I probably wouldnt have bought these … and that would have sucked, because these things are amazing.

With all of that said, the modlite and Malkoff performed great as well, obviously neither are built for super long throw, but figured it could hurt to test out and see how they compared to these SF lights. Was fun seeing the differences between them all and quite enlightening.

I won't stop carrying / using the Malkoff and modlite - but glad I gained this experience because now I know what each light is like more so, and what tasks / days I should be reaching for one over the other. There really is no 1 light do all, there will always be pro's and con's in a never ending cycle haha. You just need to have multiple tools at hand to be able to choose what's best for that particular task!

The only thing I'll mention in a more negative way, is that the tail cap doesn't allow for tail standing the lights. These lights have a great low mode that last for MANY hours. Tail standing makes sense with them both. I'm assuming there's probably another tail cap out there that one could buy to make the change - I'm not sure which, but I'd guess there would be one. So easy fix if so!

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1088.jpeg
    IMG_1088.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1087.jpeg
    IMG_1087.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1084.jpeg
    IMG_1084.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1081.jpeg
    IMG_1081.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1083.jpeg
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    889.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1078.jpeg
    IMG_1078.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great write up, I enjoyed reading that.
Yep, I'm not surprised by your good impression of them.
Well done.

Also, they'll accept E series tail caps so something like the tail cap from the Aviator LED/Scout lights (Z68) might be worth a look (shrouded and tail stands).

Last edited:

akula88

Enlightened
Also, they'll accept E series tail caps so something like the tail cap from the Aviator LED/Scout lights (Z68) might be worth a look (shrouded and tail stands).
@Lights and Guns thanks for a great review.

EDC1-tailcap.jpg

Scout light or shrouded Z61 (and variants) would be a bit slimmer. If this doesn't bother you, then its just an add-on $20-30 investment. E1L-Outdoorsman has the Lumens Factory variant which allows you to insert three tritium vials.