SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

loydski228

Newly Enlightened
@loydski29: How can one go about ordering/obtaining the MCH? Cloud Defensive's website says to check back; they're not available yet there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You can back order the cloud MCH's. I got one on the initial release on march 4 and back ordered the other I'm waiting for. They sold around 3,000 within a few minutes.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that another one of those lights that isnt as good as a malkoff for double the price?

I recently remarked: If you make it shiny, they will come.
I will add: If you price it high enough, they will come.

Yes, I'm essentially joking - I'm sure they're good lights. But no joke, like cars and so many other things, 'exclusivity' can generate a lot of revenue with human animals.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
I think the new Cloud Defensive MCH may blow this out the water... 18650 or 18350. Duel or single output. EDC (more floody beam) or high candela. I was excited about the Surefire Turbos but maybe not so much now after hearing about the new Cloud Defensive.
So was I until I got my hands on an MCH…

MCH felt cheap compared to my malkoff HOT61 and modlites.

The threads didn't seem to be machined as well as modlite or malkoff and the weight of the light was so light there is no way the light can handle the advertised output.

I since have gotten rid of the MCH due to multiple issues. The first of which is that the light gets WAY TOO HOT WAY TOO QUICKLY…. If you use the light on high for any meaningful amount of time besides a quick burst or 30 seconds the entire light (both head and body all the way to the tail cap get HOT…) I tried using the light on a walk and after 7-10 minutes the thing could fry an egg, I couldn't hold it comfortably and honestly felt as if there was a chance of burning my hand if I didn't turn it off.

In comparison the modlite does get hot but not nearly as quickly, it takes WAY longer for the modlite to start heating up and I've never found myself turning the modlite off so I wouldn't burn myself.

Obviously the malkoff doesn't get hot but it also only put out about half the output of the other 2 lights so not a fair comparison.

MCH also has a coating on the lens too make the tint warmer which translates into weird blue rings around the spill of the light. Didn't like that at all gave the light a cheap look/feel. Just found it strange on a $220 light.

MCH button press is way too stiff even without the ND protectors and BD protectors r plastic, should have been metal. Also many reports of light malfunctioning / flickering right out of the box for many, and trying to take the clip off or change it to another type of clip has been causing many guys to break their orings… so frequently that CD needed to create a tutorial on how to service that part of the light. I think CD has a lot wrong with the MCH and need to fix it.,. I'm sure after this beta product they'll get it right with the gen 2 hand held thrill undoubtably bring out.

I think indoors all you need is the malkoff though outdoor it leaves something to be desired… with only 20k cd. the modlite is amazing indoors and out.

My one complaint with modlite was no low mode, which is why I tried CD's MCH…

I'm excited for sure fires offering due to the decent amount of lumen output but not ridiculous so the light won't heat up…. Also the high candela will enable it to punch too far distances… and the fact it has a low mode…. Perfect 25 lumen output…

I think it might be a winner…. But we shall see when I get it in my hands…

If only modlite would come out with a high/low head… it would be perfect!
Maybe this surefire offering is the answer

fulee9999

Enlightened
So was I until I got my hands on an MCH…
wow thanks for the detailed experience, I was on the fence for the new MCH, it had too many things going for it before I read your post, but at least now I can spare a few bucks on that one :)

can you give me some hints on why would one buy a modlite for 300$?
( from the pictures I would imagine it uses the standard 1 inch tail, so it's compatible with Malkoff and SureFire tails, right? )

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
wow thanks for the detailed experience, I was on the fence for the new MCH, it had too many things going for it before I read your post, but at least now I can spare a few bucks on that one :)

can you give me some hints on why would one buy a modlite for 300$?
( from the pictures I would imagine it uses the standard 1 inch tail, so it's compatible with Malkoff and SureFire tails, right? )
Absolutely my pleasure!
In my experience and for my personal needs (LE) I wasn't able to find anything out there with the output/throw and form factor that competed with our beat out modlite.

Yes Malkoff's are amazing, but the M61HOT is Malkoff's light that competes directly with the modlite, and it just simply cannot. Like I said earlier, indoors it will serve you very very well, however outdoors it is quite a bit lack-luster especially if you compare it side by side by a modlite PLHV2 or OKW… there really isn't much comparison…

It's expensive yes, but you can find modlites selling used for $225-$250 for the full setup, which isn't that bad… especially considering their quality, very high level in my opinion. Great customer service have always gotten back to me within a day and helped me out with everything I've needed.

I've used the same modlite for several years and have beat it up, dropped it, ECT daily … 2+ years and never a single issue or hiccup. The light always performs and i don't baby my equipment. I don't mind spending the Coin as long as the product will deliver… I can attest that modlite is indeed worth the money…

If you are a first responder they give you 15% off, if you buy used you can also save a good amount as opposed to spending 300+ on brand new…

If your looking for a tactical light, this is it… or at least so far it's the best I could find. I carry a smaller light (old 4sevens preon) for admin work while I'm at work, and reserve the modlite for the bigger tasks…

I've been trying to find a light that has a low mode but fell short every time I tried something new… I have my reservations about surefire due to 550 lumens - it might just be a bit too low… I would have liked around 650-700 … but I MIGHT still pick one up to check it out…. But overall I'm absolutely happy with the modlites … tanks of a light… and performance is great…

Also, yes I see guys use the surefire tailcaps on the all the time!

Lastly, modlite are fully serviceable… you can change springs out yourself very easily, along with the lens! Takes no time at all…

With MCH, if your lens broke you need to send the light in to them, and cannot be changed by the user… I like being able to fix my own stuff especially if it goes down in the field… I carry an extra lens in my pack just incase, it's tiny and basically no weight added so why not…

Easily pass on the MCH IMO… but your are crazy if don't give modlite a chance - they are great! :)

fulee9999

Enlightened
If your looking for a tactical light, this is it… or at least so far it's the best I could find. I carry a smaller light (old 4sevens preon) for admin work while I'm at work, and reserve the modlite for the bigger tasks…

to be honest I'm not squeamish about spending 300 dollars on a flashlight if I get the bang for my buck, I was just wondering if they've put their engineering where their mouth ( price tag..?! ) is

my only two concerns about modlite are, well one, what you just mentioned, that it's not really suited for admin work, and sometimes I do need to light something up right next to my face, aaaand yeah, a few tens of thousands of candela right in my eye would be suboptimal :)

the other thing is so far I've seen very mixed reviews on the durability of the modlite, and I'm not sure how or why that is, from what I can see, or gather from technical data it should be fairly resilient to... well basically anything, and you also had no issues with it as well, so I'm not sure what's up with that

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
to be honest I'm not squeamish about spending 300 dollars on a flashlight if I get the bang for my buck, I was just wondering if they've put their engineering where their mouth ( price tag..?! ) is

my only two concerns about modlite are, well one, what you just mentioned, that it's not really suited for admin work, and sometimes I do need to light something up right next to my face, aaaand yeah, a few tens of thousands of candela right in my eye would be suboptimal :)

the other thing is so far I've seen very mixed reviews on the durability of the modlite, and I'm not sure how or why that is, from what I can see, or gather from technical data it should be fairly resilient to... well basically anything, and you also had no issues with it as well, so I'm not sure what's up with that
Yeah, if your intending on using it for admin work, don't… it's too bright for up close work imo. Which is why I carry the small preon …. Which is why I've been looking around to see other offerings with a low mode… but come up empty so far for any lights that can compare to the modlite.

I know modlite has had issues with the pl350 (pistol light) but other than that… the handhelds have been amazing and I've not really seen many people having issues with them.
I know a bunch of guys don't like the owner of modlite, Cory but I don't take about that… I care about the product, and these products deliver…

I've had a modlite strapped to my chest rig for 2 1/2 years in the snow, rain, ice, sun… and never a single problem. I can tell you durability wise these things are tanks…

Give it a shot man, what's the worst that can happen? You either don't like it and return it. Or you can resell it and recoup most of your money.

I'm telling you man. Modlites are my favorite….

I like them so much I EDC a 18350 modlite… even though it isn't the best suited for edc tasks at all … I just dig it… haha

If they could throw a low mode on it'd be stellar

Anyway goodluck with whatever you choose to do my man!

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looked at the Cloud Defensive MCH pictures...

Looks cool but I don't know why this one would scream $220 MSRP...

Besides, will this have a good anti-roll design? Those little chamfers on the tailcap likely will not be enough...Oh the countless times the light rolled off a surface...

If it's going to be a true pocketable EDC, anti-roll would have been nice...otherwise, it's like having a recalled Olights that needs to stay in your holster :LOL: I guess these lights are meant for 'tactical'(don't hang me for using this term) usage only?

Not knocking the quality and engineering that went into this but just something that jumped out at me.

And, no, never owned a cloud defensive (or modlites)... for that matter.

loydski228

Newly Enlightened

Besides, will this have a good anti-roll design? Those little chamfers on the tailcap likely will not be enough...Oh the countless times the light rolled off a surface...

If it's going to be a true pocketable EDC, anti-roll would have been nice...otherwise, it's like having a recalled Olights that needs to stay in your holster :LOL: I guess these lights are meant for 'tactical'(don't hang me for using this term) usage only?

Not knocking the quality and engineering that went into this but just something that jumped out at me.

I'm still very happy with my MCH! I've had it almost two weeks and no issues it doesn't feel cheep in anyway I have the duel mode so it's nice having the lower light out put when I don't need the full output. As far as anti roll the pocket clip makes it so it doesn't roll. I have a malkoff being delivered today so I'm looking forward to comparing the two. I know the out put on the malkoff is considerably less but still excited to try it out. I live on a large property and need lights with a lot of throw and the MCH does that well I bought the MCH in the EDC head as well but haven't received it yet but looking forward to trying that one out.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like it and, of course, to each to their own...

Again, not trying to knock Cloud Defensive specifically.

Just thinking the countless times the forum discussed the EDC light designs, such as tail standing option (or candle lighting for that matter without a diffuser), bezel crenellations to allow the user to see whether the light is on or not, or the anti-roll that I mentioned (the list goes on). Either the companies develop these lights for specific situations and scenarios (Surefire, Malkoff included, but Malkoff gets a pass as Gene is an awesome guy :buttrock:) or they're just not seeing these things as important in their design...

What I see in the Cloud Defensive light (and other companies) is the repeat of same old stuff, make in USA with higher fit/finish, with newer brighter LED, put exorbitant price on them and advertise them as bomb/fail proof lights. No different than well made lights made by other companies, just with a different look.

Surefire EDC1-T or EDC2-T for instance, is a leap forward for them simply because they are just now jumping on the 18350 band wagon, but to me, still using same old switch mechanism, but with different LEDs. I wouldn't even doubt it if their board is the same as the old...(don't know, haven't read all the posts here but don't really care either lol).

Will be interesting to see some reviews eventually.

fulee9999

Enlightened
SureFire: The EDC1 and EDC2 will release mid-April

Impatient me checking every day if they released it sooner:

1648674985100.png

tango44

Enlightened

I'm incredibly happy with my MCH micro, it is small to pocket carry and the Thyrm clip works great, secure and won't break like the Surefire clips.
Excellent beam (HC 18350 model here) and it won't roll if that worries you.
Batt will last for about 50 mins Wich is enough for me.
Not cheap, but I really doubt that the Surefire new models will be cheap.
Click tail cap works great because I hate the gas pedal tail cap on my Surefires, mu thumb hurst after a couple of minutes pushing it.
Love the fact that comes with the 2 levels and starts on low and then high. I can't use my Modlite indoors because of the only single output...
This was $200 well spent.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
SureFire: The EDC1 and EDC2 will release mid-April

Impatient me checking every day if they released it sooner:

View attachment 25721
Can't wait for when the surefires come out! … ordering 1 of each. - thinking they'll kick my modlite out of my pocket (due to modlite not having a low mode, so they suck for EDC/admin tasks) … and by the looks of it will be better at dealing with the heat… which seems to be an issue the MCH's have.. within 2-3 minutes on high output the MCH is uncomfortably hot to hold. The modlites can get up there in heat as well but take much longer to get to that point Haven't been as excited for a light in a while!

Last edited: