SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice, it is possible that it is still like a gas pedal, I hope so
1644524131035.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Theoretical question:
How would member take to a version called "DFT-R"? R being rechargeable while a battery is still in the light or option of primary/18650/18350?(depending on one or two cell body).

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theoretical question:
How would member take to a version called "DFT-R"? R being rechargeable while a battery is still in the light or option of primary/18650/18350?(depending on one or two cell body).
Charging - additional element that can fail and extra money, only if it will be a really big flashlight with 4~16 x 18650 (or 21700) and this charge will give an more speed in compared to charging cells in a separate charger. If a flashlight is meant 1 x 18650, then it definitely should be a universally available usb, and what else to do with such a situation if a person puts 2 x CR123 or 2 x 18350 there and connects it to a charger? Then it should be smart charging, and this is extra money in price.

Personally, I would prefer such a charging port with mechanical protection, they are reliable.
1644845598187.png

And, accordingly, 12 volts, so that you can recharge from a car battery or use BA5590 batteries
1644845840202.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sounds like you're not completely against the idea DS.

Me, personally I like the notion of a pair of primary's and twisty operation for failure resistance, but afterall it is 2022 and rechargeable is here to stay.
My initial thought was a way to lock the tailcap covering a usb port and unlock to expose it. Keeping the hi/lo operation up front and utilizing a machined channel lock on the rear that incorparates the resistance of the rear spring against the battery to keep it fastened. Pushing it forward and twisting to unlock it. O'ring placement could be critical to keep it water tight.

Now yes, that could fail in time but…with the option of a rechargeable cell (outside the body) or primary it only eliminates one of three options to supply electricity. But it adds the option of recharge using a pocket size power pack while on the go in the field.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I roughly understand, but better draw at least with a pencil, I didn't really understand what goes where))

Could use a screw head to open the port, like on Fenix keychan micro flashlights

Well, the ability to use any of the caps - clicking or two-stage (the latter with a fully tightened head)

1644848370884.png

Just a very long skirt at the head that covers it all, like Prometheus Alpha, he has an unnecessarily long skirt
1644848672583.png

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Theoretical question:
As long as it's still waterproof that would work for me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a Coast light that uses a 3x aaa battery carrier, or an 18650 in a cartridge with usb port or an external (water tight) usb port to supply fuel to the light.

Since Streamlight and Elzetta sell batteries with usb ports that could add yet another refueling option if the 1 cell can handle an RCR and 2 cell an 18650. So even without an external port one can potentially charge batteries in the field via pocket size power pack.

I think that's what I'm getting at. An option to recharge in the field with primary fuel supplied until the rechargeable is back up and running.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theoretical question:
Depends entirely on the execution. If done via an exposed port (like the R1) or rubber flap (like most others) im out. Best solution & mechanical the lest complex would be a simple magnetic charger. Advantages being no mechanism required to seal the charging port + completely waterproof. Also less fiddly.

I would love to see something like that on a 2x18650 or 2x21700 light (or even larger), not required for smaller single cell lights. Also add an option for cradle charging. But I seriously doubt that SF would use standard cells for such a light & would probably go with a proprietary battery pack. Complete deal breaker.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least the tint debate is now over as obviously cool is vastly superior in all extensive testing Surefire has done.
Warm has it's place too...I can't think of any but I want to be inclusive. 😆

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops, sorry about that Dave……
Was just trying to pass the time while waiting for these to arrive on store shelves.

It's good to see SureFire offering something the flashlight enthusiast(s) got excited about this year.
No problem, I just had visions of folk pulling up this thread later, when the flashlights hit the stores, and getting confused.