SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is false. I have multiple E Series bored to fit 18350 and 18650 cells.
But the aluminium thickness at the o-ring position should not be that much anymore.
Here in CPF I know also some (ok ... old) pictures from E Series bodies that have than the body and the threads in two pieces due to the fact of too less aluminium....

At least for me a Surefire should be built like a tank. I use my SF lights sometimes kind of rough...

boo5ted

Enlightened
But the aluminium thickness at the o-ring position should not be that much anymore.
Here in CPF I know also some (ok ... old) pictures from E Series bodies that have than the body and the threads in two pieces due to the fact of too less aluminium....

At least for me a Surefire should be built like a tank. I use my SF lights sometimes kind of rough...
The metal is a bit thinner but I've had the OD Backup bored and modded for a year or so and haven't had any issues. It's my work light in an auto shop so it's been dropped, stepped on, rolled across the shop etc. It also been bathed in just about every liquid you can thing of lol.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
E-series bodies that accept 18350/18650 cells;

Comparison of 18350 lights;

comparison1.jpg

Based on published dimensions, this is roughly how the EDCL1-DFT should compare;

comparison-sf.jpg

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
E-series bodies that accept 18350/18650 cells;

Comparison of 18350 lights;

View attachment 38820

Based on published dimensions, this is roughly how the EDCL1-DFT should compare;

View attachment 38821
I was excited for these to drop since last year. However I think I'm going to pass on them. Seems way too big for what it's offering in terms of output/cd/runtime compared to other options you've listed. Not to mention, it looks quite ugly.

Also, care you share where I can create a build like the lights you shared that are on the left, I quite like the body and tailcap, looks very sleek and seemingly would be very pocket

I saw your links but are those only for the body? What about the tail caps? And what head/s would you recommend for an edc role? Ideally a low/high mode? Running on 18350

Also, would I be able to screw on a modlite head to that body? I love my modlite 18350 but for EDC it lacks a low mode so not ideal…

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
See the link in my signature.
Thanks I just read through the website, quite cool.

1 questions for you though.

If I were to buy a tail cap and body would it be compatible with my modlite heads I already own a few modlites and absolutely love them and their performance.

But would be open to changing the body and tail cap as those you shared in the picture above seem a bit smaller / slimmer. More easily pocketable than the modlite body? Or is that just the imagine distorting the size?

Either way thanks for the info.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
If I were to buy a tail cap and body would it be compatible with my modlite heads I already own a few modlites and absolutely love them and their performance.
The Modlite "Legacy Enhanced" heads fit E-series bodies, so they would work with the LF body.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
The Modlite "Legacy Enhanced" heads fit E-series bodies, so they would work with the LF body.

Yes, I thought they would as well, but those light bodies take 18350's or 18650's

But on modlites website the legacy head states it runs on 16650's or two cr123's. I have no experience with 16650's so not sure it they would fit in the light body?

I think the legacy head (flood option) with that body and tail cap would make for a tremendous tactical EDC light that is very easily pocketable.

850 lumens with 44k CD seems like a great mixture, for such a small package.

With 80 minutes of runtime, though not at those stated numbers throughout the entire duration obviously.

This is Quite appealing, especially over the 18350 light head options that go for about 25-35 min runtime. MAX

Seems like a much better option to me than the 18350 normal heads from modlite or malkoff.

Just wondering about the battery size issue? Or would a 16650 fit in the body no problem?

Thanks and sorry to bother you with this! But this might be my new light build for daily carry.

Small form factor but packs a huge punch, and 80 min runtime outlasts anything else in its size and capability.

Thanks again and I appreciate any feedback you may have about this build I'm thinking about doing!
Quite exciting prospect. Been looking for something like this for quite some time.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Yes, I thought they would as well, but those light bodies take 18350's or 18650's

But on modlites website the legacy head states it runs on 16650's or two cr123's. I have no experience with 16650's so not sure it they would fit in the light body?

I think the legacy head (flood option) with that body and tail cap would make for a tremendous tactical EDC light that is very easily pocketable.

850 lumens with 44k CD seems like a great mixture, for such a small package.

With 80 minutes of runtime, though not at those stated numbers throughout the entire duration obviously.

This is Quite appealing, especially over the 18350 light head options that go for about 25-35 min runtime. MAX

Seems like a much better option to me than the 18350 normal heads from modlite or malkoff.

Just wondering about the battery size issue? Or would a 16650 fit in the body no problem?

Thanks and sorry to bother you with this! But this might be my new light build for daily carry.

Small form factor but packs a huge punch, and 80 min runtime outlasts anything else in its size and capability.

Thanks again and I appreciate any feedback you may have about this build I'm thinking about doing!
Quite exciting prospect. Been looking for something like this for quite some time.

a 16650 is the same size az 2xCR123s, I run my Malkoff E2XT with a 16650. To be honest, I don't see the appeal in the Modlite "Legacy" heads, I'd rather buy a Malkoff for 2/3 the price, with higher candela, and same toughness...

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Turbo Scout lights dropped on Optics Planet, much like Surefire said at Shot Show along with the X400 Turbo. Maybe we will see handhelds by march? (Shrugs)

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
a 16650 is the same size az 2xCR123s, I run my Malkoff E2XT with a 16650. To be honest, I don't see the appeal in the Modlite "Legacy" heads, I'd rather buy a Malkoff for 2/3 the price, with higher candela, and same toughness...
Thanks for the clarification about the battery I really appreciate that.

As far as the point you brought up about being able to buy a malkoff for 2/3 the price of a modlight, isn't necessarily true.

For instance, a malkoff E2XT on his website is going for $193 currently. A modlight legacy head is going for $209. Thats only a $16 difference which is negligible. I'd say their performance are pretty comparable spec wise. On top of that, I am fortunate enough to get a discount from modlite. So I could purchase a modlite legacy head for $178 which is actually cheaper than malkoff.

Even if I went for something like the E2 hyper throw from malkoff its $135, which is a decent savings of $40 over the legacy head with my discount but the modlite outperforms that malkoff head in both lumen output and Candela. by a decent margin along with an extra 20-25 minutes of runtime out of the modlite. So to me at least, it seems like that extra $40 is well worth it when taking all of these things into consideration.

The E2XTD is another option I could go with from malkoff which would output more candela than either legacy head from modlite, but it puts out 200 lumens less than a modlite legacy head (F). So it would come down to what your use-case is for the particular light. I live in a very urban environment, there isn't 100+ yards for me to really use the light in a realistic way, for me I'd be inside a structure/subway system/household, which arguably the lumen output is more important than candela.

If I missed any heads that would be a better option from malkoff, letme know as I'm very open to ideas, and not dead-set on modlite.. but from what I can see, the modlite legacy (f) option brings great balance between lumens (850) to Candela (44k).

Appreciate the input!! Love discussing lighs :)

Last edited:

Mr. LED

Enlightened
At Malkoff there's normally 20% discounts on your first purchase and also ocasionally they send coupons to your email. If not, email them and ask for a coupon, it has worked for me. Also you get stellar magnificent perfect customer support, Cathy and Gene are so sweet, they'll go beyond and over to make you happy.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
At Malkoff there's normally 20% discounts on your first purchase and also ocasionally they send coupons to your email. If not, email them and ask for a coupon, it has worked for me. Also you get stellar magnificent perfect customer support, Cathy and Gene are so sweet, they'll go beyond and over to make you happy.
I have owned several and spoken to both on the phone, very nice people and great products.

With that said I'm aiming to build as simple and small of a light with the best balance between Lumen and CD.

The modlite legacy (flood) head seems to be the winner so far 850lm / 44k cd

Havnt seen any head offerings from malkoff with better balance. They seem to be around 500 lumen and 55-70k candela which isn't ideal for my uses.

If it was going on a rifle then it'd make more sense - but for a handheld might not… especially living in an urban environment.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff is stronger, he has a polycarbonate lens. UCL is certainly durable, but polycarbonate is still polycarbonate))

Also can to look at the battery discharge graph, if you need more or less stable regulation, then Malkoff is usually better. Modlight gives a slight decrease in brightness after 3-4 minutes to ensure the declared run time or due to thermal protection, or due to both. In any case, models PL350-OKW and PL350-PLHv2 do this. I have not yet found discharge graphs for other heads, but I assume that it will be about the same. If use the flashlight in the intermittent mode, then it does not matter. I found charts here

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
If it was going on a rifle then it'd make more sense - but for a handheld might not… especially living in an urban environment.

It's actually in an urban environment, where there's usually significant ambient light from buildings and street lighting, that high candela is far more useful: long, dark alleys, overcoming photonic barriers, etc.

There's also the misunderstanding that high-candela beam patterns have insufficient spill to maintain situational awareness. In the case of the Malkoff E2HT and E2XTD that's not the case - beam shots here in a typical low-light environment (click on photos). Bear in mind that a digital camera sensor can only register about 1/10th the contrast range that human vision can discern, so we can actually see much more in the spill than the photos illustrate.

Here is a run time graph for the E2XTD and E2HT using the ANSI FL1 test standard;

3449492310.jpg

In regards to the Modlite Legacy heads, they very specifically state the output specs on a pair of CR123 cells (6 volts). The output at 4.2 volts on a Li-ion cell is likely lower.

In terms of size and weight, the Modlite heads are practically the same as the Malkoff E2XT series. I find a 1-cell light with the smaller Malkoff E2HT head carries more comfortably in a pants pocket, and that 500 lumens / 35,000 cd is plenty adequate for the situational awareness / personal protection role.

E2HT-10.jpg

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
It's actually in an urban environment, where there's usually significant ambient light from buildings and street lighting, that high candela is far more useful: long, dark alleys, overcoming photonic barriers, etc.

There's also the misunderstanding that high-candela beam patterns have insufficient spill to maintain situational awareness. In the case of the Malkoff E2HT and E2XTD that's not the case - beam shots here in a typical low-light environment (click on photos). Bear in mind that a digital camera sensor can only register about 1/10th the contrast range that human vision can discern, so we can actually see much more in the spill than the photos illustrate.

Here is a run time graph for the E2XTD and E2HT using the ANSI FL1 test standard;

View attachment 38919

In regards to the Modlite Legacy heads, they very specifically state the output specs on a pair of CR123 cells (6 volts). The output at 4.2 volts on a Li-ion cell is likely lower.

In terms of size and weight, the Modlite heads are practically the same as the Malkoff E2XT series. I find a 1-cell light with the smaller Malkoff E2HT head carries more comfortably in a pants pocket, and that 500 lumens / 35,000 cd is plenty adequate for the situational awareness / personal protection role.

View attachment 38920
Thanks for the reply! - I appreciate you pointing out that the output would be different with a single rechargeable battery as opposed to those 2 123's... I didn't realize / know that. So that basically ends my desire to own a legacy head now. As a malkoff would outperform it on a single cell.

So last thing then and I'll leave you alone I promise haha!

In your opinion, what are the reason/s that I should opt for the dagger or fat boy ect... over something like a 1 cell 18350 modlite that I own currently with the normal head of a PLHv2 or OKW (I own both). (NOT talking about the legacy heads here). I've carried the 18350 modlite over the past 3 years now and it's served me well in the role, what would I be gaining from the purchase of either the fatboy or dagger. If anything at all?

Looking at my options:
The FATBOY and OKW seem to be almost identical in output/candela, except maybe runtime would differ between the two for some reason?

By the look of it the DAGGER is sort of like the PLHv2 but with way less lumen output and almost half the Candela.

I'm assuming the dagger would have a more stable runtime throughout the life of the battery? however if being used in a tactical self defense role, generally a light like this wouldn't be on for a prolonged period of time, and by the runtime graphs posted above the PLHv2 doesn't seem to step down until about 5ish minutes in. I'd imagine in a defense role you'd be out and done with that situation within 5 minute mark MAX as a civilian at least.

So wouldn't the modlite PLHv2 make more sense over the dagger in this role?

I assume it would be a toss up between the fatboy and okw as they are so similar on the spec sheet at least?

I really like how both the dagger and fatboy look, personally I find them very appealing aesthetically which is what sparked my interest to begin with, with the images you posted above. I'm trying to justify the purchase of either 1 or both of them... Though I want to make sure I do my due diligence and know that I'd be gaining something or somethings over the modlites in purchasing either the fat boy or the dagger.

Anyway enough of my ramblings...let me know what you think... I very much appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
In your opinion, what are the reason/s that I should opt for the dagger or fat boy ect... over something like a 1 cell 18350 modlite that I own currently with the normal head of a PLHv2 or OKW (I own both). (NOT talking about the legacy heads here). I've carried the 18350 modlite over the past 3 years now and it's served me well in the role, what would I be gaining from the purchase of either the fatboy or dagger. If anything at all?
Size, weight and ease of carry.

That said, the Modlites are extremely capable lights, they just don't ride as comfortably in a pants pocket (especially compared to Dagger).

comparison1.jpg

N/Apower

Enlightened
I have a Surefire M340 DF Turbo Pro on the way. I'll be happy to compare it to a PLH V2 Dual Fuel next week.

N/Apower

Enlightened
My surefire turbo mini arrived. It is advertised as 95k LUX with an 18350, and 55,000 with cr123.

My first move was to test this. I measured 100k LUX at 1m with 18350 fully charged, and exactly 55,000 with a new cr123. My modlite plhv2 dual fuel measured 80,000 lux with a new molicel p28a, for comparison.

I next compared spill intensity. The difference between the PLH V2 and Surefire, taken mid spill (roughly outer zone 2 for you NV folks), was 12% in favor of the PLH v2. This isnt visually significant imo. Distance testing was conducted was roughly 10ft for this. It produced 37 LUX. With cr123, it produced 15 lux.

Beam profile comparison, this is the PLH v2 DF and Surefire compared next to and on top of each other.
The Modlite beam is larger.

Upon running the light until moon mode levels, it was found that at 3.18-3.22v open circuit voltage was roughly where this occurred with an 18350. I used an unprotected Keeppower YDL rewrap. This is the only viable 18350 on the market (the YDL). This shows that unprotected cells will cease to provide utility well before they are drained to dangerous or damaging levels. This was a concern of mine, as it is a single cell dual fuel light.

In comparison the Modlite gives a low voltage warning blink at around 3.6v, and drops significantly in output. At this point the Surefire is still producing 60-70 thousand 1m Lux. It is producing 50k lux 1m down to 3.3-3.4v, where it begins to taper more notably.

More to follow.
20230212_085919_jpg-2709200.jpg

20230212_085841_jpg-2709201.jpg