SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

akula88

Enlightened
I converted my EDCL2-T to a single mode clicky (with an EB1c tailcap) where I take advantage of the lockout feature and use a twist motion to turn it on. The gas pedal went to an EB1c I bought for the pencil beam to peer into pipes and manholes.

I'm do use/tested an EB1-C tailcap on both EDCL1/L2-T bodies. I'm more used to clickies, rather than the 2-stage twisty switch action.

Did anyone tried to do a swap of the innards of the EB clicky into the EDCL twisty and vice versa?

Offhand comparison looks doable on the outside, but just trying to get more confirmation.
The knurling of the EDCL over the smooth EB is one compelling reason. :)

lumensbadger

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the 16340 current resilience is not a big Limitation anymore. It used to be the 2amps standard for 16340 lithium ion rechargables.

I have, however, a couple of protected Keeppower 16340 Lithium rechargeables with a 4amps yield. That's should run well in the EDCL2-T - which is still on its way to me.

Any runtime experience on 2x 16340 (not IMR...)?

lumensbadger

Newly Enlightened
My EDCL2-T displays a blueish / purple tint and several shadowy rings inside the proximity spill beam. That bothers me immensely — not that I am a whitewall hunter, but this light is not what I payed the premium for.

All my modern Surefire lights, e.g. EDCL1-T, Mini Scout M300C, Scout M600U, etc. display a yellowish, often described as greenish tint. I always call this the Surefire tint and quite like it, because for me, it displays colors better if you light something up. That can be quite helpful, if you e.g. need to determined whether someone holds an phone or a gun. Before I get carried away, no rings inside the spill beam there. These lights all have a hotspot and then a somewhat homogeneously illuminated spill area with no rings or artifacts.

Do your EDCL2-Ts display such a beam picture? Two of my colleagues' lamps don't. I start thinking that SF messed something up on that one during assembly. Maybe the TIR has not been properly adjusted? Maybe the wrong LED was soldered into the board?

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I don't have one, but can you see those rings when you are outside shining it at objects in the distance? I know that is a high lumen/candela light. I have called Surefire i the past You may have to ask them since nobody here answered.

lumensbadger

Newly Enlightened
Well, yes. I can see those rings also outside (and inside of structures) since they are shadowy rings.

It has a significantly different beam pattern and tint than my other comparable TIR Surefire lights, such as EDCL1-T, M300C, M600U, etc.

Here are two pics. Sorry for the poor quality. But I think they make the point:

https://ibb.co/30M2cWB
https://ibb.co/y8B8B0y

For reference, here is a white wall beam pic of my M600U (1000 lumens) Scout Light, that has more or less the same candela specs as the EDCL2-T. The pictures are all taken from the same distance.

https://ibb.co/K72gVtX

The tint and beam difference is quite noticeable.

I think my theory that SF messed up on assembling my EDCL2-T is not too far fetched. Have already contacted the seller with a warranty claim - who hasn't responded yet - and will contact SF directly for reference. SF customer support has so far been top notch for me.

Last edited:

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
Looking for recommendations on rechargeable batteries for the EDCL2-T? Which one(s) are you using? Thank you

akula88

Enlightened
Looking for recommendations on rechargeable batteries for the EDCL2-T? Which one(s) are you using? Thank you
When I still had the EDCL2 body, I was using KeepPower 16650 2000-mah and 2500-mah. I sold the body last year when, and got a shorter EDCL1 body and are now using KeepPower and VAPCell 16340s.

Output is said to be just around 80% when using the 3.6-4.2v Li-Ion vs that of 2x primary CR123s, but its actually barely discernible to my eyes.

Reactions: :)>

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
When I still had the EDCL2 body, I was using KeepPower 16650 2000-mah and 2500-mah. I sold the body last year when, and got a shorter EDCL1 body and are now using KeepPower and VAPCell 16340s.

Output is said to be just around 80% when using the 3.6-4.2v Li-Ion vs that of 2x primary CR123s, but its actually barely discernible to my eyes.
Appreciate the info. Will look into these.

GoVegan

Enlightened

Why not just use Surefire's rechargeable 123A cells?
Any other rechargeable are not supported in any Surefire light and could burn out the LED (as has happened in the past and reported by other CPF users).

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
Any other rechargeable are not supported in any Surefire light and could burn out the LED (as has happened in the past and reported by other CPF users).
You make a good point. Thanks, I'll try their rechargeable 123A.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire rechargeable cells cut the already short runtimes in half… I have a number of them and wish they were double their capacity… also, mine will not light the high on my EDC1LT😫

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you can say, what is the runtime on high with this setup? I would like to know because this sounds like a good setup. I have been using an RCR123 from Olight in my EDCL1T and that works good for around 25-35 minutes on high before it's lights out… the EDCL1T seems really finicky about what rechargeable batteries can trigger the high mode🤔

GoVegan

Enlightened
The Surefire rechargeable cells cut the already short runtimes in half… I have a number of them and wish they were double their capacity… also, mine will not light the high on my EDC1LT😫
Over the years I've read various accounts of people using higher voltage cells in Surefire lights with some strange long term affects such as (as far as I recall), the light no longer working with CR123 cells, low mode no longer working, and other issues such as high no longer being very bright. I came to the conclusion it just isn't worth the risk.
However if your light straight out the box didn't support Surefire's own rechargeables, then my advice would be to contact their support as it certainly should do.

As for short runtimes on high, yes that's Surefire, and even with primary cells, and they seem to get shorter with every release of each new model. I wouldn't be surprised if 2022 Jan they announce a new upgrade with 600 lumens and only 45 mins runtime.
The Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO 4) rechargeable cells, although they are very safe, they don't have many mAh, hence the less that 50% runtime.

The saying is, you can have bright, or a long runtime, choose one... well I chose both with a HDS EDC LE 250, the XP-G2 has a good hotspot, great throw and good spill, with awesome runtimes. :)
So I don't EDC my Surefires.

Last edited:
Reactions: :)>

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
Got the Surefire 123A rechargeables. They're 3.2 volts at 750 milliamps each.

Also got the Keep Power 16650 3.7 volts at 2100 milliamps.

The 16650 works pretty good with a slight decrease in brightness both hi and low outputs.

Haven't done any runtime tests yet but I'm assuming the single 16650 will run longer than the two rechargeable 123A.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Got the Surefire 123A rechargeables. They're 3.2 volts at 750 milliamps each.

Also got the Keep Power 16650 3.7 volts at 2100 milliamps.

The 16650 works pretty good with a slight decrease in brightness both hi and low outputs.

Haven't done any runtime tests yet but I'm assuming the single 16650 will run longer than the two rechargeable 123A.
Could you post beamshots of both batteries so we can spot the differences? Thanks in advance!