Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
This model has been a disappointment. SF is running too much current thru the LED; the heat issue is enormous after only a few minutes of running. And I'm on tailcap number 2, as they keep failing. Can't recommend.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised by this. I've always thought Surefire's tail cap switches were tip top. Do you think the light is pulling more current than the switch can handle?

I guess there might be an issue: when others use low resistance bronze springs, Surefire stays with steel ones. With high amperage those may produce excessive heat — as a result nearby polymer parts may fail. But this is just my guess.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I'm a fan of SF lights too and currently own an older 6PX Pro and more recently, a PR1 Peacekeeper. They have both been extremely reliable lights.

I've been looking at this latest rendition of the Fury and as a Malkoff junky as well, the comparison to the Hound Dog 18650 is unavoidable. While this new Fury has a slight edge in size, weight and output (lumens-wise, not lux/candela), my HD 18650 has been flawless. With Malkoff's frequent sales, the cost of the HD 18650 is comparable to the best prices I've seen so far for the Fury. The beam pattern on the HD 18650 is excellent, though I have not seen the beam of the latest Fury.

It seems SF is pushing the envelope not only in the ability of the switch to handle the current draw, but of standard CR123A cells as well. As much as I am tempted, my HD 18650 matches the new Fury is usable light without any of the reliability and over heating issues. If SF gets those issues ironed out, I would be tempted to drop the coin on another Surefire light.

In the meantime my HD 18650 with a SF 6PX tail cap;

hd18650-1.jpg

malkoff-2.jpg

Gunny84

Newly Enlightened
Have anyone tried using other brand of 18650 to power the flashlight?
I am thinking of using nitecore NL1835HP instead of SF 18650.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Here we go!
Today, someone I know well of, out of curiosity, and maybe being too obligated, sent an email to surefire to:1-sort out when df ib will be available 2-how surefire regarding tailswitch issue. It seems surefire declined to admit such malfunction, or they secretly fixed it, or such only occured to certain early lots. Interestingly, surefire seemed very preserved of their tecnical and marketing information, preventing any addressee from redistribution. My friend in his turn CCed this to me, but I decided to post them here, since no law implies to surefire's statement of information using terms.

But I now feel a bit nervous:thinking:

So you guys don't tell surefire this post!!!

Please review Rule 12 @jackman1 and edit your post accordingly ...

Reposting Private Communications
It is not appropriate for any member of CandlePowerForums to post and/or quote in the open forums any part of a private communication that is authored by someone other than themselves. This includes, but is not limited to, emails and private messages.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Please review Rule 12 @jackman1 and edit your post accordingly ....

All done. Now simple and clear. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, thank you for the edit, and well ... another clue might have been that the message you posted actually included the phrase "privileged and/or confidential information ... intended only for the use of the addressee" :shakehead

archimedes

Flashaholic
Another post by @jackman1 has been deleted ... this one for Rule 8.

I suggest no further commentary on the removal of these posts.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Frottage

Newly Enlightened
I received a new Fury DFT this week and thought I'd post my observations in the interest of contributing to the knowledge base:

The size is noticeably bigger than the standard Fury. The head is the same diameter but is a bit longerthan the P2X model. Overall length is about .2" longer. It feels like it has a bit more heft to it, but it could be the battery weight difference.

The beam is excellent with good mix of throw and spill. Tint is markedly cool, but typical for Surefire products. Compared to the P2X Fury the beam is quite noticeably brighter and has better spill.

I had zero issues with batteries. Lithium 123a's worked, and protected 18650GA's worked perfectly as well.

In terms of heat, after 30 minutes of continuous on the head was warm but not hot. I could hold the head and it was not uncomfortable nor too hot to hold.

All good so far. I'll run it through a class or two before recommending it for tactical use, but first impression is positive.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
HHHmm...after five minutes or so, mine becomes HOT...almost not holdable hot. Starting to wonder of my light is actually defective at the head/LED...Maybe pulling too much current, hence the excessive heat and malfunctioning tail cap switches. Going to do some tests...

Cato

Newly Enlightened
My Surefire Fury DF doesn't work with SF or Duracell Cr123, but its ok with panasonic 18650. Any ideas?

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and...tailcap three is toast...waiting for word from SF to send the whole light in, not just receiving another tailcap. The light was on for five or so minutes. Then it won't shut off, and the cap has the burnt electronics smell to it. Just for info, the light is drawing 5.4-5.5 amps, then dropping to 5 amps after a few minutes.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
...and...tailcap three is toast...waiting for word from SF to send the whole light in, not just receiving another tailcap. The light was on for five or so minutes. Then it won't shut off, and the cap has the burnt electronics smell to it. Just for info, the light is drawing 5.4-5.5 amps, then dropping to 5 amps after a few minutes.
I was just about to order this light, but after reading this thread again, I'll pass.