SureFire G2D-FYL

Not So Bright

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Yes, the bezel unscrews giving access to the emitter. The led is a seoul.
I was at PF-13 and showed the light to Milkyspit, he said it would be easy to mod. I might take him up on that. I do not like the very cool (blue) tint.
Hope this helps.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Does anyone know FOR SURE if this forward clickie tailcap is a z59?

Internally, its a Z59. Externally, the knurling section is narrower, providing protected channels for installing strips of reflective tape (one each above and below the knurling).

tundratrader

Enlightened
There has to be something different about this switch to make it intrisically safe. If the knurling is different then maybe something inside is different. Have you gutted one of these Dan to check it out. The bezel is standard. The P60L is standard. The body is standard just a diff color or maybe the compound is a little diff. Unless just the combination of components passed the ratings test. I know they had to pay to have it tested. But this would basically mean that all the surefire lights are safe just not tested right.
Zach

Size15's

Flashaholic
There has to be something different about this switch to make it intrisically safe. If the knurling is different then maybe something inside is different. Have you gutted one of these Dan to check it out. The bezel is standard. The P60L is standard. The body is standard just a diff color or maybe the compound is a little diff. Unless just the combination of components passed the ratings test. I know they had to pay to have it tested. But this would basically mean that all the surefire lights are safe just not tested right.
Zach
I used to work in a product testing and certification research lab. 'Type' testing a specific selection of products could often allow the whole range to be covered. I'm not sure whether the same principles apply to these standards or whether each product has to be individually tested.
I does seem reasonable to assume that if a specific new product has the rating and the rest of the range do not then there is likely something different about it. The TailCap [internals] is a logical place to start.
Interesting :thinking:

Bullzeyebill

Staff member
Zach

The G2DL does not use the P60L.

Bill

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
The G2DL does not use the P60L.

Bill

But the G2L Fire Rescue (one level output) does. And it uses the same tailcap as the G2D-FYL. And it is, as well, listed as being "safe for explosive atmospheres."

As for the question I posted, I called SF last night and spoke to one of the tech guys. He stated that I could use the tailcap from the G2L-FYL on my G2L without any problems and that it was, for all intents and purposes, a Z59 (just like ElectronGuru wrote). The two tailcaps (the one on the G2L-FYL and the Z59) do, however, have different part numbers and the one that comes with the flashlight is so far not available seperately.

He even pointed out to me that on the product website for the G2D-FYL, one of the available accessories for this light is the Z59.

I didn't, however, think to ask him what made the light "safe," or as they write on their site:

• MIL-STD-810 rated, safe for explosive atmosphere
and if using a regular Z59 as opposed to the tailcap that comes with the light would lessen this rating...??

Vinniec5

Enlightened
:sleepy: Will sleep well tonight after my G3D-fyl came tonite from Mattk ripped it open like Ralphie opened his Red Ryder :twothumbs will take a good look at it tomorrow and report on it. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY AND BE SAFE ON THE ROADS

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just thinking to myself today..."boy I miss having a 'plastic' light!" My last one was my AE 3xAA dive light...which was great, but since it only had One level and 3xAA lithiums were Kinda expensive to feed it, I think I will pick one of these up. It will be nice to have a Surefire again, (I think the 14th or 15th for me) and I like the diffuser system.

Edit... Was ready to order, but I am having doubts...$135 buys a lot of lights these days. These are my concerns:

1. Why does it only run 35 hours at 15 lumens? There are plenty of 2 cell lights that beat that.
2. Is the light putting out 115 Surefire lumens or actual? Meaning Is it really putting out 150-180 or just 115
3. 3 hours at 115 lumens is not a great either. (which makes me hope it is really 160-180)
4. I have not had the greatest luck with SF tints.

Still might order tonight...but I need to think about it.

Final Edit.... Oh yeah...Im good at 'just thinking' about flashlight purchases. My new G3D is ordered (I did resist for 10 minutes!) I guess I can think about it while it is coming... Thanks Matt!

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has to be something different about this switch to make it intrisically safe.
Zach

Internally, it is quite different from the Z59/U2 tailcap. I would post a picture comparing the two but my camera is out of action at the moment.

Regards,
Tempest

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Here are the mechanisms from the G2L-FYL and Z59:

2rm1enp.jpg

I'll have a G2D to compare with in a few days, but my guess is that this is like the Navy version of the 6P.

Extra certification does not necessarily mean extra capability.

Last edited:

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
I must say I'm not impressed with this light. I think Streamlight is probably the only large company to get it right for a FF's light. Many other companies just take one of their regular lights, make it yellow, and call it a "Fire Rescue" light. Knife companies like to do this as well.

I think its a cool light by itself, but when do you need multiple light levels at a fire or emergency, aside from checking pupils?

And the checkered reflective things are cute, but the middle of the light is where the helmet mount clamps usually go, no? Why not a reflective strip around the head?

If SureFire wanted to make a real fire EMS type light, they should make a nitrolon bodied, articulated head, with rechargable batteries oriented side by side, or in series with an oval or flat body. Like a plastic weaponlight with a big *** removable clip in the back. It could be mounted on a helmet, belt or coat. These rehashed ideas painted yellow just don't cut it. They may have their finger on the pulse of military/law enforcement, but not fire/EMS.

Not trying to be a troublemaker, but I wished for years for a SureFire made for my line of work, and they hand us this.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
So is the conclusion that both tailcaps are the same, the color is the only difference?

Its actually even less different then that. Z59 guts are white. G2L-FYL guts are black. G2D-FYL guts are white. Internally, I can find no difference. Externally, the knurling band is less narrow. The straight Z59 is also type II, where the FYL caps are type III.

In testing those lego options tonight, the FYL cap did not screw down as far on the Z2 body as a Z59. But more testing is needed for any conclusions on this. BTW, this head feels amazing on a Z2 body.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone take a picture of the bezel taken apart so I can get a better idea of what we are looking at as far as modding goes?

Also, has anyone taken any current measurements of the different levels at the tailcap?

Thanks,
Robert