Surefire Hellfighter (picture intensive)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just using my Hellfighter 4. I had bought one and the internal battery was dead, sent it to Surefire and after 4 weeks they sent it back fixed for free!!!

Now that you've got a 4, you need to find the pistol grip switch and cable assembly. With the grip, you get a high and low setting as well as strobe. Without, it's high only.

jake-cutter

Newly Enlightened
Having a hard time finding 2590 batteries on ebay. Seems they have dried up recently. Anybody have any leads on batteries?

foxtrot824

Enlightened
This is a fantastic thread, almost 10 years old and still going! It inspired me to pick up my own Hellfighter even if it is a sad one. I know there have been lots of mods to these but I'm considering going LED swap. I feel like it's blasphemous but it might be more modern than HIDs.

4l360.jpg

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a fantastic thread, almost 10 years old and still going! It inspired me to pick up my own Hellfighter even if it is a sad one. I know there have been lots of mods to these but I'm considering going LED

The only advantage I see in modifying a Hellfighter to LED is having enough room inside for the batteries.

That light looks like one that sat on an auction site a long time ago. If it works, run it as a HID light until it goes toes up.

Enderman

Enlightened
The only advantage I see in modifying a Hellfighter to LED is having enough room inside for the batteries.

That light looks like one that sat on an auction site a long time ago. If it works, run it as a HID light until it goes toes up.
With switching to LED you can get more throw and more lumens without needing an external ballast.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
With switching to LED you can get more throw and more lumens without needing an external ballast.

No external ballast required. It's a complete light system, minus the battery.

Before you discount the HID Hellfighter, you need to use one. The Hellfighter lights up the area 15-25 yards in front of you to around 500 yards. It's not like a thrower led that only emits light in a hotspot.

The light the OP was asking about might be one of the earlier versions with the orange peel reflector. If that's the case, it's not going to be a super thrower.

Enderman

Enlightened
No external ballast required. It's a complete light system, minus the battery.

Before you discount the HID Hellfighter, you need to use one. The Hellfighter lights up the area 15-25 yards in front of you to around 500 yards. It's not like a thrower led that only emits light in a hotspot.

The light the OP was asking about might be one of the earlier versions with the orange peel reflector. If that's the case, it's not going to be a super thrower.
1) I have the same light, I posted about mine not far above in this thread. I know exactly how it performs and I have used it up to 1km :)

2) If you wanted more throw and lumens, you would need to upgrade the 30W HID to a 75 or 100W HID, and I have done a ton of research on this, it would be impossible to fit one of those larger high power ballasts inside the light.
Even if you went with one of the super compact and expensive ones from xevision.

3) The "thrower LED" that emits light in only the hotspot is called an "aspheric lens flashlight". It is the use of a lens that allows light to only go to the hotspot.
If he wants usable spill just like the stock Hellfire, he can use an LED+reflector to get the same effect, but with more lumens and throw.

4) The XHP70 or 70.2 will about 2x the lumens as the Hellfire's bulb, however it will require some better cooling since it will run much hotter.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) I have the same light, I posted about mine not far above in this thread. I know exactly how it performs and I have used it up to 1km :)

3) The "thrower LED" that emits light in only the hotspot is called an "aspheric lens flashlight". It is the use of a lens that allows light to only go to the hotspot.
If he wants usable spill just like the stock Hellfire, he can use an LED+reflector to get the same effect, but with more lumens and throw.

4) The XHP70 or 70.2 will about 2x the lumens as the Hellfire's bulb, however it will require some better cooling since it will run much hotter.

I haven't used my Hellfighter 1's further than 500 yards. My Hellfighter 4 is good to around 700 yards. It's useable light not the ANSI BS, 1 lumen on target crap.

I own #1 of the Rev Victor Enthusiast and a few other of Mike Johnson's creations. They're neat lights, but far from being a light I'd use for a search and rescue type of event.

The Olight SR92 or SR95, the Nitecore TM36, I do consider super thrower LED lights. IMO, they're a more useable light.

Last edited:

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried it or already done, to use a HellFighter as a boat lamp or only attach on it?

illuminate

Newly Enlightened
I'm about to get my third HF and now it is time to work on some issues from the past!
1. Pouch for the HF:
I can not find a perfectly fitting pouch for the HF. I ended up with an universal neoprene wrap for cameras. Ugly but usable.
Do you have other suggestions? I want something milspec and maybe with MOLLE.

2. I want to modify the UH-01C Kit to use it in a 12V car socket.
I might just solder a connector suitable to the battery connector to a car socket to give the HF enough juice. But would that work? I don't want do modify the cable.

Last edited:

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire UDR, a Hellfighter1, and a Hellfighter4. Nice collection.

Now you need the cable for the Hellfighter4 that gives you low, high and strobe functions.

Many thanks! I'd also prefer the cable rather than the 24V-12V slave adapter and the HFM-10 T-Slot rail adapter, but I'm very grateful and happy about that I get a HF4.

Now I will have to look for the indispensable cable and maybe sell the other two superfluous things (for me). Maybe I find a SF hard shell case for HellFighter too.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. I want to modify the UH-01C Kit to use it in a 12V car socket.
I might just solder a connector suitable to the battery connector to a car socket to give the HF enough juice. But would that work? I don't want do modify the cable.
How much current does a Hellfighter draw? The power socket (can't call them cigarette lighters any more, that ist verbotten!) on every vehicle has a fuse to protect against shorts, etc. IIRC, most are around 5 amps. Will that be enough to fire up that bad boy?

Enderman

Enlightened
How much current does a Hellfighter draw? The power socket (can't call them cigarette lighters any more, that ist verbotten!) on every vehicle has a fuse to protect against shorts, etc. IIRC, most are around 5 amps. Will that be enough to fire up that bad boy?
Mine used a bit more than 3A. Definitely less than 4.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine used a bit more than 3A. Definitely less than 4.
Nice to know!

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

The initial inrush current can be double and for some faster warmup HID ballasts possibly even 3X.
In a 12/14VDC system we recommend 10 amp breaker or fuse (you might even want "slow blow" type fuses if you get an occasional nuisance blown fuse.
Remember fuses and breakers are meant to ONLY protect the wiring from fires so make sure to use adequate wire sizing.

illuminate

Newly Enlightened
Quick question:
Can I use an Amphenol MS3116F14-5S instead of the PT06E-14-5S?
The plug looks different but the connector looks the same.

Last edited:

HIDSGT

Enlightened
I think its comical how under powered these are vs. how over priced and heavy they are. a whopping 3000 lumens at only 10 lbs smh lol on sale for only $6000!!!! I guess they are classics tho.