Surefire lanyard clip self releases.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two different clips and a possible explanation of your self releases.

Surefire, for at least the last three years, has provided two different lanyard clips. I think an assumption that they are different but interchangeable is not necessarily correct.

sflanyardclipsof7.jpg

The clip on the right (Clip 2) looks more substantial, higher quality and overall the one we would pick to use. All true, but I think it is intended for use on the plastic lanyard rings on the A2-L1-L2. For those of you not familiar, these lights use a thick, plastic two piece lanyard ring as opposed to the welded steel wire type use on the C2 and others.

In admittedly non-scientific testing, I had little problem getting Clip 2 to self release or at least come very close as it contacted the end of the pocket clip when hooked to my C2. This was especially true when clipped from the bezel side of the ring toward the tailcap side of the ring. I could not duplicate a self release issue when this clip was hooked to my A2.

Conversely Clip 1, although it contacted the pocket clip as it rotated on the ring, did not seem to suffer this problem. Clip 1 will attach to but seems rather tight when hooked to the A2.

It seems that the lighter cheaper looking Clip 1 will work with the C2 and others.

Mark

defusion

Enlightened
clip 1 consists of 1 piece metal, the other is basicaly just a hinge which moves much more easily.
the solid part of clip 2 definately looks more solid then clip 1, so it wouldn't be good for a "break point", clip 1 would be better for breaking (or rather bending) away under serious tension, clip 2 releases when placed/twisted correctly.

so i think clip 1 is generally the best.

Last edited:

bridaw

Newly Enlightened
Flash_Gordon said:
Two different clips and a possible explanation of your self releases.

Surefire, for at least the last three years, has provided two different lanyard clips. I think an assumption that they are different but interchangeable is not necessarily correct.

sflanyardclipsof7.jpg

The clip on the right (Clip 2) looks more substantial, higher quality and overall the one we would pick to use. All true, but I think it is intended for use on the plastic lanyard rings on the A2-L1-L2. For those of you not familiar, these lights use a thick, plastic two piece lanyard ring as opposed to the welded steel wire type use on the C2 and others.

In admittedly non-scientific testing, I had little problem getting Clip 2 to self release or at least come very close as it contacted the end of the pocket clip when hooked to my C2. This was especially true when clipped from the bezel side of the ring toward the tailcap side of the ring. I could not duplicate a self release issue when this clip was hooked to my A2.

Conversely Clip 1, although it contacted the pocket clip as it rotated on the ring, did not seem to suffer this problem. Clip 1 will attach to but seems rather tight when hooked to the A2.

It seems that the lighter cheaper looking Clip 1 will work with the C2 and others.

Mark

I received clip 1 (on left) with my G2Z years ago and clip 2 with my C2 in the last few months.

Clip 2 will self release off either light. It has nothing to do with the pocket clip. When the lanyard gets twisted enough, it pops off. Terrible design with the latch wider than the rest of the clip.

Clip one is actually still on my G2Z until I find another small split ring. Clip two is in the landfill.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
bridaw said:
I received clip 1 (on left) with my G2Z years ago and clip 2 with my C2 in the last few months.

Clip 2 will self release off either light. It has nothing to do with the pocket clip. When the lanyard gets twisted enough, it pops off. Terrible design with the latch wider than the rest of the clip.

Clip one is actually still on my G2Z until I find another small split ring. Clip two is in the landfill.

bridaw-

I think your frustrating experience reflects exactly what I was saying after playing with both clips on different lights.

The heavier two piece clip does not show any inclination to force or wedge itself open when attached to the plastic type of lanyard clip. If that clip was shipped with a C2, I believe it is a serious mistake that will cause damage to or loss of the light. All lanyards that I received with or for lights with the steel wire lanyard loop came with the smaller one piece clip.

Mark

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_Gordon said:
If that clip was shipped with a C2, I believe it is a serious mistake that will cause damage to or loss of the light.
My C2 came with the new clip--that's how I found out about it. My brand new light bit the concrete headfirst twice while I was at work, and had the lanyard around my wrist. Naturally, that was the end of the clip for me.
I should have told SF to send me a new bezel, since their POS clip was the culprit. Obviously no testing was done on this thing, and I hope someone has given them a heads-up. I've forgotten to the last couple of times I've called CS.