Surefire M3 3xCR123 vs 2x17500 (measurements)

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys,

These mesurements were made with my light meter, distance is not 1m so you should consider them valid only to compare the two options. This is the MN10 bulb.

With 3 fresh Surefire primaries :
- ceiling bounce test : 22 lux
- throw : 1100 lux
- amps pulled from batts : 1,08Amps, droping quite fast while doing measurements

With 2 AW 17500 freshly charged :
- ceiling bounce test : 28 lux
- throw : 1380 lux
- amps pulled from batts : 1,13Amps, pretty steady while doing measurements

The rechargeable options sounds just perfect. It should have an hour runtime, more steady compared to the fast drop you have on primaries.

Also, a UX0K ti-PD gives only 8 lux ceiling bounce in the same condition. If we assume the Ti-PD is 40 lumens out of the front lens, that makes a 110 lumens for the MN10 on primaries and a nice 140 lumens for the MN10 on rechargeables.

Hope you will find this information usefull!

SunStar

Enlightened
Thanks!

Your measurements are right on par with my qualitative observations. Output is fairly flat with 17500's beyond 50 minutes. Noticeable dimming with falling output starts at around 55 minutes with shutdown just past 57 minutes.

Now if I could only find a protected Li-ion solution for the MN-11 without a multi-click requirement. I would actually prefer to use primaries but output is so much "whiter" and flatter with Li-ions.

BTW... similar results can be had using the P90 - an excellent candidate for 17500's.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just realized that the overall output (throw as well) was around 25% higher with li-ion. That's not bad a all!

Gotta live this rechargeable M3 :grin2:

Supernam

Enlightened
Would a battery guru please explain why the 2 17500s outperform the 9v worth of cr123's? Do the primaries sag THAT much? If so, is there ANY reason why one should run off 3x123's rather than 2x17500's?

BBL

Enlightened
yes, the cr123 sag more, and they loose more voltage over time...
the li-ions are just better in every aspect, except maybe capacity.

I run the P90 and G&P G90 LA's in my 9P, and this setup works great.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Superman
there are some valid reasons to use primaries..
1. In a cost-no-object situation where the light sees heavy use "in the field" and the operator can not be bothered with having to charge the light. Example: Deployed military. They just keep swapping in more primaries.
2. If the light is intended to be used for occasional emergency situations ONLY. Primaries have great shelf life. And if the life of the light won't see more than a few cycles of batteries, then a rechargable setup isn't as cost effective.

for everyone else. learning the ins-n-outs of the rechargable solutions is the ideal way to go.

Supernam

Enlightened
Thanks guys... I'm already on the 17500 bandwagon. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not cutting myself short in any way. Even when I'm on long hiking trips in the dark, I carry 2 pairs of 17500's in addition to primaries (although I've never actually ran through 2 pairs before returning to base camp).

Can't wait 'til my SL TL-3 comes in =P

Latest posts