Surefire M3T Vs 10x

code09

Enlightened
Someone care to comment on the throw on both these lights? I currently have a M3T, and i just love the throw on it. Im considering the 10x to replace the M3T....yay or nay?

Thanks!

code09

Enlightened
i know what you mean...but the M3T, along with the 10x would just be too rich for my blood! If i get the 10X, you can expect to see a mint M3T on BST in a couple of weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But i want to know if the beams are similar...

code09

Enlightened
Yes i did! Thanks for all that info John. I couldnt find anything on the throw though...those threads were the cause of me wanting to buy the 10x!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

code09

Enlightened
Another question that i have is, if you screw up the order of the bulbs, like if you put the lola into the hola spot and turn it on, will it burn out the bulbs?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding throw, sorry, I don't have a M3 Turbohead so I can't compare directly. Perhaps Al could step in here and contrast the throw of these two lights.

From a quick glance perspective, it seems that the "low" beam pattern of the 10X is similar to my SF M2 (non turbo).

Note there are two lamp assemblies for the 10X "low" beam. I'm using the lower output; 60 lumens. The higher LOLA is 110 lumens.

When you move from low to high mode, the hotspot gets about twice as big and much brighter.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the 10X will out throw the M3T, even though it has a much wider beam. I suspect it would win on shear grunt. But that's just a guess.

In regards to the lamp assemblies, I don't know and I don't feel like taking the head apart and risk smudging a bulb. The bulbs are very different sizes and while I don't know if you can physically put the LOLA in the HOLA slot, I would think it would be fairly difficult to mix up the bulbs.

-john

code09

Enlightened
ok great! Thanks alot John!
hmmm...maybe Al would be kind enough to provide beamshots? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Moses

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 10X has two reflectors.

The MN30 is the 60 Lumen Lamp Assembly
The MN32 is the 110 Lumen Lamp Assembly

The MN31 is the 500 Lumen Lamp Assembly

It is not possible for the MN30/MN32 Assemblies to fit correctly into the MN31's location in the larger reflector.

What John N writes is correct - the 10X wins for 'throw' - It's output on high beam is a brute force wall of light!
However, the wide beam may not be idea for fog or myst etc.
The M3T's beam is better able to 'cut' through that sort of thing.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Al, what's that "thingy" on the side of your 10X?! And how do I get me one (or two as the case may be!)?! :)

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah, I've been hoping *some* carry system would make it into production. Sigh.

And you didn't answer my second question! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-john

code09

Enlightened
Im slightly concered with the 10x bezel...From the pictures, it looks kinda flimsy because its so thin...is it?
Would it be able to withstand being throw in a camping duffle bag, placed in storage on a bus or something along with other ppls luggage stacked on top of it?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes it can. It is much stronger and more durable then it looks! I've dropped my 10X several times (by accident) will no damage to it.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto that. The 10X seems very sturdy. I would not hesitate to take the 10X where I need to and do with it what I need done.

Really, there are only two major drawbacks to this light IMO.

1) You have to "unscrew" the bezel two half turns to put it on the charger. This means that when you pull it off the charger you have to screw it down two half turns before the light will activate (think LOTC). This means you can't pull it off the charger and immediately use it.

2) No holster / carry option.

Other than that it's a great light.

-john

richpalm

Banned
Well... if you want to light up your entire property when looking for your escaped pet, the 10X is great-redefines the term 'light cannon'. it puts out an unreal amount of light. You can feel the heat from the HOLA.

My M3T is a real thrower, though and easier to carry-at least you can holster it. Typical narrower turbohead beam while the 10X overwhelms everything with sheer output and more flood.

I took to toting the M3T in a holster on dog walks 'cause here in Pa., it gets bloody dark! Wanted a thrower in case something creeps me and the dogs out.

Rich

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
What John N writes is correct - the 10X wins for 'throw' - It's output on high beam is a brute force wall of light!
However, the wide beam may not be idea for fog or myst etc.
The M3T's beam is better able to 'cut' through that sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if the 10x can out throw the M3t....does equate to mean that the 10X can out throw the M6 as well?

Latest posts