SureFire Product History Thread

lnhldyf

Newly Enlightened
I have a round bodied police version of surefire 6P. I want to know the exact date of production and production, which my friend says is very rare

Last edited:

Lampas

Newly Enlightened
@ Dave D: Here is a intersting article from the "Deutsches Waffenjournal" ("German Wappen-journal") march 2009 (in german =). It states that the CNC Machines they use(d?) where bough in Germany and somehow the production management is german as well. To me its not obvious if they are writing about the position "product management" or something else. Anyhow, there was no information about products for the german marked. Strange

baabootoo

Newly Enlightened
Do only 6P and newer have a model stamped on the tail cap? Mine has the etching on the back of the tail cap, as opposed to around the circumference, but no model number. I think that I'm too new to post a picture.

ven

Flashaholic
Do only 6P and newer have a model stamped on the tail cap? Mine has the etching on the back of the tail cap, as opposed to around the circumference, but no model number. I think that I'm too new to post a picture.

Use an online photo album like imgur, free and easy via phone or laptop. Upload pic/s, click on pic size(medium/large )copy the BBC code(starts with img)and paste here in the box. Worth clicking the go advanced before posting to check happy with pic...............job done:)
:welcome:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I managed to get hold of a Surefire 9P, round bodied model, which came in an unused (as new) condition with its original box and paperwork.

The paperwork dates it as 1993, I'm not sure when the 9P's started production but the 6P's started in 1988, so this is a relatively early version.

It has the smooth tailcap rubber.

Upon receipt it was in a heat sealed bag, similar to the batteries in the photo, did Surefire ship early lamps like this?

It came with an original SF P90 module but I've removed it and replaced it with a Lumens Factory EO-9, 380 lumen, lamp module and a pair of Keeppower 17500's.

32886680427_b214460d7a_c.jpg

47830455041_b214460d7a_c.jpg

33953172578_d4fcf93f93_c.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PK once said he got the idea to do a bright flashlight so he strapped a 12 volt RC car battery to an auto headlight bulb and said "boss we should build a light this bright". The boss said he had lost his mind. PK said he showed him how it could be done using CR123 batteries and a flashlight bulb. Boss gave him permission to do 400. If they sold in a year they'd look at adding them to the lineup.

He said all 400 sold in a week and if they had another hundred they'd have sold those too.

We know it as the M6.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, PK said such which is very cool. A genius , hope might see some new lights of his soon. For now, be rude not to post an m6 pic
EXoVEb5l.jpg

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I just found an old school 9P, the likes of which from Post #89 here, smooth button and two checkered sections on the body.

I have also seen older 9Ps with single solid blocks of checkering. Does anyone have any idea of all the 9P versions pre-body text?

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good looking 9P and that fact it's mint is amazing. I also have one but mine is more "loved" lol. It's actually listed in my for sale thread.

I really miss having a M6... its just too power hungry, even with my Malkoff LED module. One day i'll get another.

BigBaller

Enlightened
So I just found an old school 9P, the likes of which from Post #89 here, smooth button and two checkered sections on the body.

I have also seen older 9Ps with single solid blocks of checkering. Does anyone have any idea of all the 9P versions pre-body text?

Did you get that one on ebay? I almost bought one like this that morning then saw it was gone. Hope it went to a good home :D I like the shorter length and lighter weight of the smooth bezel-non-lockout 6Ps and 9Ps.. .. the softer knurling isnt as secure in the hand as a newer 9P but they do have a certain slimline-compact hand feel thats a pleasing to use.. I have one of the early 90s two section knurled body 9P but its 100% mint condition so i cant bring myself to use it.. hence my shopping for another one with at least a few scuffs . Compiling a timeline of these is a good idea. wonder what even older 1980s models looked like? In my limited searching around onnline ive seen smooth round bezel and "lined" round bezel with smooth push button dated as early 90s and checkered button single knurling section as later 90s..

BigBaller

Enlightened
Bought a 9z off ebay in really nice condition, looks hardly used. Wondering if it's been partly legoed over the years , the body and bezel seem true to the era .. but the tailcap looks newer , it doesn't say laser products . It has a side dimple and internal hex screw and says surefire.com. surefire USA.
What year, does anyone know, did surefire start using the website ? The head is smooth also which doesn't fit with what I looked at on the first page here, the closest year available , 1996, catalog appears that it was supplied with a striped knurling on the bezel vs completely smooth like the one I found. I bet someone who was into collecting these every year back then could really shed some light on the subject.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Bought a 9z off ebay in really nice condition, looks hardly used. Wondering if it's been partly legoed over the years , the body and bezel seem true to the era .. but the tailcap looks newer , it doesn't say laser products . It has a side dimple and internal hex screw and says surefire.com. surefire USA.
What year, does anyone know, did surefire start using the website ? The head is smooth also which doesn't fit with what I looked at on the first page here, the closest year available , 1996, catalog appears that it was supplied with a striped knurling on the bezel vs completely smooth like the one I found. I bet someone who was into collecting these every year back then could really shed some light on the subject.

Photo ?

BigBaller

Enlightened

On closer inspection it looks the one posted on flashlightguide.com database. Compared to the ~1996 model that looked like the thicker section of the body clspeat to the bezel was shorter in length. This one happen to have an unfrosted p90 laser products lamp assembly.

BigBaller

Enlightened
This is the first time Ive seen an otherwise modern looking 6P with a press fit lexan lensed hex bezel. Anyone seen one of these before?? An early batch of the newer style/ text 6P perhaps? The body text area seems a bit larger and cut deeper than the other 6ps I've handled.

Also found a nifty 6Z combatlight . This xZ light looks more complete old school than the z3 I found.. The oversized, free float push button tailcaps, especially the smooth ones, are probably my favorite part about old surefires.

Latest posts