Surefire Rechargeable 9V - What Gives ?

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
Hi Illuminated ones,

I had the opportunity to open my recharchable Surefire 9V battery pack (The one in the white plastic sheath), and found inside 3 normal looking CR123 Surefire (Standard red cover) batteries joined together with metal straps.

So, what really want to know is, are these actually normal CR123 batteries inside that we are recharging, or are they actually rechargable cells just in the same packaging.

Or is this some kind of mistake (Someone in the factory saying - Hey, no rechargable cells left for these, I'll just stick in some normal ones, no one will notice...)

Normal CR123 cells are not rechargable.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

If they are rechargeable, does anyone know the AH rating?
(Normal rechargeable CR123 cells are 3.6V and 600Mah, and are Lithium Maganese Dioxide - Picture of typical one below. The ones in the pack look just like standard Surefire ones.)

productLarge_7836.jpg

Regards,

Abe.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It pretty clearly says recharge on the side label - I can assure you that no mfgr would put that on a Li battery and just sell it. Putting substantial reverse current into a normal 123 is a well known, very non desired event.

Brock

Flashaholic
I thought they were nicad's, but haven't had one in forever. I know the voltage and lamps are different to accommodate the different voltage from the rechargeable packs.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC the white ones are NOT rechargable... they are simply wrapped 123s for use in weaponlights where the recoil shock will do strang things to standard batteries. I haven't seen them in a long time, so I'm guessing they may not be preduced anymore. The blue sticks are the rechargeable ones and should say so on them.

-Mike

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What are those "9 Volt rechargeable cells for"? What Surefire light did you buy that said that you needed to use a rechargeable battery stick? Who told you that the battery stick was rechargeable?

Bill

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
It is a Surefire B65 Rechargable Battery.

The cells inside look just like a normal SF123. That is my query.

The B65 is used when converting a G2z into a rechargable system, and an A14 is used to extend the G2z body to accomodate the B65.

Originally the G2z is a 6v system, but I converted it to a p91, 9v system using the extension, and the spacer inside the B65. I hope that makes sense.

Abe.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Abe,

I am not sure what you have there... but SureFire lists the B65 as NiCd.

Have you checked the voltage? The conversion does not appear to include a lamp change, so I would think you are ending up with the same 6 volts but in NiCd rather than Lithium.

Tom

Brock

Flashaholic
I think I remember that the B65 can power the P91 because of the voltage drop on the NiCad's. So if you run a P91 lamp the B65 and 3 123's they end up at the same voltage 6.25v. So maybe it is really 6 NiCad cells stacked for an open voltage of 7.2v and 6.2 under load? I am not sure, but I now the B65 is NiCad and run the P91.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The B65 is in a blue wrap not white and has five 1.2 volt NiCad's in it. If it is wrapped in white then it is three 123's wrapped for a weapon light.

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
Well I got this B65 about 1 1/2 years ago.

It is in a white wrapper, and I took out one of the SF123 cells, and used it in my ARC-LS, it worked Fine.

The white wrapper on the B65 clearly said on it that it is a RECHARGABLE battery pack.

Cell voltage = ~ 3V

And it smells like a Lithium Cell too...

Regards,

Abe.