Surefire Tailcaps

wfbont007

Newly Enlightened
Bought a brand new G2ZLed from LAPolicegear and the tailcap breaks weeks later! Will call Surefire tomorrow for sure!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Originally Posted by da.gee ... What might it be in the quantities sold to government agencies. Perhaps these agencies have boxes of spare tailcaps in the warehouse and individual buyers are just chump change.

As Bullzeyebill pointed out, Surefire's momentary switches are the ones which are bulletproof reliable. And it's likely that the models with those switches are the ones getting sent out to government agencies and the military. But that's just speculation on my part.

Actually, I work for a US Government agency, and in our warehouse are Rayovac-style plastic flashlights (made in China). Maybe I'm in the wrong agency...:thinking:

Last edited:

kts

Enlightened
A highprice flashlight like surefire shouldnt have any issues with faulty tailcaps, an excellent CS doesnt help when youre left in the dark :thumbsdow

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A highprice flashlight like surefire shouldnt have any issues with faulty tailcaps, an excellent CS doesnt help when youre left in the dark :thumbsdow

No company is perfect, but it is rather strange that this is even an issue.... considering that there's an easy fix to the solution.

For those who may have missed it, and with much thanks to StainlessSteel.

LINK ~ https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2259027&post=34

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
No company is perfect, but it is rather strange that this is even an issue.... considering that there's an easy fix to the solution.

For those who may have missed it, and with much thanks to StainlessSteel.

I can't believe you would not think this is an issue. Yes there is a fix for this it it HAS worked for me but lets not forget Surefire's are supposed to be at the TOP of the food chain in the lighting world. I could maybe accept this if you where purchasing a cheap $10 light but Surefire's are among the most expensive non custom lights produced.

I have ownly owned a handful of Surefire lights that saw practically ZERO use. Half of the tailcaps failed to operate normally without adding a couple drops of oil. The fact is this high failure rate is far from acceptable.

Mac

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can't believe you would not think this is an issue. Yes there is a fix for this it it HAS worked for me but lets not forget Surefire's are supposed to be at the TOP of the food chain in the lighting world. I could maybe accept this if you where purchasing a cheap $10 light but Surefire's are among the most expensive non custom lights produced.

I have ownly owned a handful of Surefire lights that saw practically ZERO use. Half of the tailcaps failed to operate normally without adding a couple drops of oil. The fact is that is not acceptable.

Mac

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess my post was not clear enough. Yes, I do feel that this is an issue. And a major one at that, considering Surefire's reputation and what they charge for lights.

What I meant was, considering that there is a very simple solution to the problem, one that Surefire could easily implament themselves before shipping out assembled lights with clickies, it is rather stange that this is even an issue. It's an issue that should not even exist, since Surefire could easily fix it, at the factory.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess my post was not clear enough. Yes, I do feel that this is an issue. And a major one at that, considering Surefire's reputation and what they charge for lights.

What I meant was, considering that there is a very simple solution to the problem, one that Surefire could easily implament themselves before shipping out assembled lights with clickies, it is rather stange that this is even an issue. It's an issue that should not even exist, since Surefire could easily fix it, at the factory.

I agree :) Sorry for the Misunderstanding. It is pretty amusing that a couple drops of oil fixes them almost 100% of the time :)

Mac

isneyk

Newly Enlightened
Was the E2DL mentioned among the lights with faulty tailcaps?
I've gone thru the whole thread, just making sure I did not miss some details.

I have the above mentioned model incoming.
I'm just a bit anxious with the tailcap problems you guys had...:sweat:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Was the E2DL mentioned among the lights with faulty tailcaps?
I've gone thru the whole thread, just making sure I did not miss some details.

I have the above mentioned model incoming.
I'm just a bit anxious with the tailcap problems you guys had...:sweat:

It's not one model vs. another one. Surefire's momentary switches are rock solid. Their clickies have been problematic in the past.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a replacement clickie for my old E1L from SF. The new one is different on the inside and seems sturdier.

Managed to repair the old one while the replacement was in the mail so now I have a, hopefully not needed, spare:D

Sverre

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Shortly after I got it (E1L), a white plastic piece broke and came out when I changed the battery.
Exactly what happened to my E1L, followed two weeks later by a broken white piece in the E2L. Both were new in package lights that were less than a month old. Telephoned SF & the rep said two redesigned switches would be sent out. Called again two weeks later & another rep said they are shipping the new switches as quickly as possible. Got the switches a week after that. Oil may resolve some issues, but no oil in the world will repair broken internal parts.

Surefire REALLY NEEDS to do something about their switches and QC.
+1

Perhaps they feel that a no charge replacement is a satisfactory way to resolve the problem, and it does have the same effect as a Band-Aide - the bleeding stops. It would seem after this many failures (just the ones on CPF, which represent only a small percentage of all SF lights sold) that the company would redesign the switch.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire have redesigned their clickie switches - the current version with the metal collar innards is the result of a long journey of product evolution and improvement. Too long... perhaps, but I believe they've made a breakthrough with the current design.

Al

frankiej

Newly Enlightened
Add me to the list of failures. I dropped my E1L from waist height on concrete, opened up the tailcap, and was greeted by 3-4 small broken plastic pieces, a spring and a little metal plunger falling into my lap. Unbelievable! This is totally unacceptable from a flashlight costing $100, from a company that touts itself as having such tough products.

Unrelated, but I dropped my G-2 with a P-60L drop-in in a similar fashion, and it failed! This, coupled with reading the posts in this thread, have greatly soured me on Surefire. If I'm paying that much, and buying from a company that markets itself as having the toughest lights in the world, they had better work.

Sure they fix it for you right away. Good thing.

I've three Surefires (E1L, G2 & 6P), and have had 2 out of three fail! I own over 70 lights, Surefires being the most expensive, ranging down to $3 bargain bin jobbies, and the Surefires are the only ones that have been unable to survive a bit of normal abuse.
:thumbsdow

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire have redesigned their clickie switches - the current version with the metal collar innards is the result of a long journey of product evolution and improvement. Too long... perhaps, but I believe they've made a breakthrough with the current design.

Al

That's certainly good news. Is it possible to tell the difference between a new and old model without having to open it up? How can we get hold of the new tailcaps?

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's certainly good news.
Old news. They've been out as standard on the E1B since it was released and on the dual output E1L and E2L, and the E2DL too.

Is it possible to tell the difference between a new and old model without having to open it up?
It's obvious by removing the TailCap from the body and looking inside at the contact assembly. It does not need to be 'opened up' (disassembled) if that's what you mean?

How can we get hold of the new tailcaps?
I guess the most reliable way is to order a Z57 (natural HA), or Z61 (Black HA) directly from SureFire.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Size15's. I guess I must have the old models then since I've had them for a while. Are there also new models of the Z58 and Z59?