SureFire Titan

neoseikan

Enlightened
After reading these, I am so interested in Titan.
As a Light producer, I could not help asking, could I make a new thing better than titan? or is it necessary to make titan a target?
No... Surefire made titan just for showing that they have the best seat in the market.
If a small producer, like me, make a titan at $500, it is dangerous.

robo21

Enlightened
Thanks for posting Shelby. What beautiful photography and an amazing subject. Nice camera too. :twothumbs

Your photography inspires me to get my EOS out and start shooting. I've been so busy with work, I've kind of put it up on a shelf.

NickelPlate

Enlightened
This is a boutique light pure and simple. It's nice, it's titanium, it's a SF. If you don't mind spending the money and it tickles your fancy, go for it. But personally I can think of alot of things I'd rather drop $500 on, like a McClux or any other of the high end customs made by CPF members and even those are something I would never EDC. I can only imagine the depression that must set in after dropping and/or losing a light like that:mecry:.

NP

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This is a boutique light pure and simple. It's nice, it's titanium, it's a SF. If you don't mind spending the money and it tickles your fancy, go for it. But personally I can think of alot of things I'd rather drop $500 on, like a McClux or any other of the high end customs made by CPF members and even those are something I would never EDC. I can only imagine the depression that must set in after dropping and/or losing a light like that:mecry:.

NP

I certainly respect your opinion, although I feel differently. Although your comparision does list a great light, it doesn't do what the Titan does. The ability to dial-in the brightness modes is what sold me on the Titan. As far a dropping it is concerned, not sure what to say. Although I'm not going to purposely throw my Titans around, when they do fall, I expect them to keep working and I'll just continue to use it.

NP

I, too, would have to respectfully disagree. The Titan is not a "boutique" light. If it were, it would have been made from aluminum. The Titan is titanium not because it is competing in the custom Ti market, but because it needs to be tough and rugged for EDC use. A titanium light that small can be dropped with little to no damage, yet still provide an amazing spectrum of light levels for many different user applications. This is a very well thought out, good-looking, and user friendly tool, as much as a McGizmo is a tool. This light was meant to be used and used alot. My hat's off to Surefire for developing not just another HAIII dual level small light. PK's design is exceptional.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Mine rides on my keychain since I got it ... and sure, when I am in a boutique, it is a boutique light then. Otherwise, it is a tool.

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Not trying to offend anyone guys. I'm sure it's a great light and the infinite adjustability is nice like the gatlight. My use of the word boutique was in reference to:

Quote wikipedia:

"Recently, the term "boutique" has started being applied to normally-mass-market items that are either niche or produced in intentionally small numbers at very high prices."

Which I think is a fairly accurate statement ;).

NP

kodiak

Enlightened
"I like the Titan and the Dupont but give me the EOS 1 any day.

Bill"

I'll take one of those too...... when, if, it comes out. Without the bright jewels on the side. :O)

faco

Enlightened
"I like the Titan and the Dupont but give me the EOS 1 any day.

Bill"

I'll take one of those too...... when, if, it comes out. Without the bright jewels on the side. :O)

Totally agree with you both, I hope it will be available soon as I have been on the TITAN list for nearly 1 year and still waiting. If the EOS is made without the jewels on the side, I will be interested.
First in - first served.......still leaning towards the TITAN though :)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think my argument still holds. Certainly a Timex will keep about as good time as an Omega. Should not a $500 flashlight be about as bright (with similar or better runtimes, et cetera) as a $50 flashlight? You are focusing on the beauty, collectability, and perhaps "niftyness" of the device. But to the extent you care about functionality, how will you feel a year or so later when it costs $300 and has twice the brightness and runtime? I bought my Sebenza and Omega because they will be with me for the long haul, rather than become outdated curiousites in a year or two.
Well I just read the whole thing and this kind of reply just blows my mind. If the Titan needs more lumens to be worth buying then by your own yardstick you got a terrible deal on your Sebenza, because there are a great many knives available that have much longer blades for far less money.

I can understand this posters infatuation with his Omega and Sebenza, although I wouldn't want the Omega, but to regard other peoples choices as curiosities that will be outdated in a year or two stinks of elitism. I like your Omega, but I don't want one and don't have any trouble accepting that you bought one. Let everyone else make their own choices and maybe you can learn a little more than you already think you know. :grin2:

It's just weird how many people will spend time devoting themselves to vilifying a product they have no interest in; I imagine many of them would make terrible lunch companions, as they seem to have a hard time accepting someone elses choices. "You shouldn't have gotten that Filet Mignon because for a lot less money you could have had one of these Giant Hot Dogs"!

I'm probably going to end up with one of these eventually, but it won't be a lure of more lumens, but actually less that gets me, not to mention the immediate accessibility to any brightness.
I took some quick measurements with an Extech light meter (model #401025). For reference, the test were done in a fairly dark room. After zeroing the meter, it showed a value of 2 in the ambient light. The lights were placed bezel down directly on the meter and read as follows...

• NiteCore D10 (XR-E): > 2000
  • Night-Ops Gladius w/SSC P4: 1602
  • Photon Proton Pro (XR-E/White): 747
  • ARCmania Extreme III (Rebel): 731
  • Insight H2X Typhoon (Lux III): 726
  • Ra-100-T: 602
  • Ra-85-Tr: 458
  • NovaTac 120P: 431
  • Draco (XR-E): 297
  • HDS U60GT: 196
  • Surefire Titan: 14
And, no, that last one isn't an error. The lowest output from the Titan really is that dim.

I'll make no claims about the accuracy of the meter. It hasn't been used much in the last few years, and to my knowledge has never been calibrated. However, multiple tests of the same lights showed consistent results, so it's probably good enough for this evaluation.
Here's the post that got me looking at the Titan in the first place! I have a D10, an Extreme III and a 120P and really want a Draco and Titan too now! :wave:

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to update that list with a few other lights I've acquired or dug out of storage. The Ra 140C prototype is even dimmer than the HDS U60GT, but the Titan is still is a class by itself for low, low output. I don't know how useful that output is, but if there is a need for a beam that weak, I've yet to see another option.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to update that list with a few other lights I've acquired or dug out of storage. The Ra 140C prototype is even dimmer than the HDS U60GT, but the Titan is still is a class by itself for low, low output. I don't know how useful that output is, but if there is a need for a beam that weak, I've yet to see another option.
Possibly the Gatlight V3?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibly. I had a V3 once, but traded it away, and I don't recall how low the output got before it cut out.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I for one would love to see that list be a sticky and also to see lowest available output right alongside highest output specs on all lights with multiple settings.

My evolving set of priorities when trying to decide if I'm interested in a light or not are, in no particular order:
Battery - AAA or AA (although I do have a couple CR123's)
Tint - No more interest in anything cooler than neutral, with a preference for warm
Ability to go at least as low as a D10, better yet, as low as my 120P, but preferably as low as what the Titan is showing on that chart.

I too would like to see the Gatlight on there, in fact would like to see everything with a multiple output capability in your chart. :candle:

StuGatz

Enlightened
17+ years later I stumbled upon two NIB, still in original plastic wrapper. This will make for an interesting "unboxing."

1716869384398.png

1716869423894.png