surefire u2

Wurkkos

greenstuffs

Banned
Well we sure don't see any lightmakers using LuxV. Sure the switch is innovative and there are no other makers using it, however the titan has a much better gradual output, the new two stage clicky, the new optics and the fuel gauge. If that does not make the old U2 outdated or obsolete i don't know what it is. It sure is capable of doing what any other flashlight yet to release but the technology behind is obsolete.

scaredpoet

I have to say, as my first time post on this forum, I have to sit back in awe at what appears to be some really serious bickering over whether a flashlight is obsolete. :poke:

regardless of whether you feel a flashlight (of all things) is obsolete or not, I can say this much: SureFire appears very willing to continue supporting the U2 Ultra. I just got two that I ordered from them (after a 3-week wait), but only after I called asking about their discontinuation. The answer: yes, once the UA2 and UB2 come out, but - and the rep was very quick to emphasize this - SureFire will still honor and support the lifetime warranties on U2s, even after they stop selling them.

So is the U2 obsolete? Does it even matter? To ME it doesn't. The lights are excellent pieces of machinery, and they'll continue to do their job as long as CR123s (or some equivalent) are still being made.

In fact, I think that's the ONLY criteria for whether a flashlight is "obsolete." There are no operating systems to be upgraded (at least not yet) or other parts that are really considered consumable but the batteries. If they're still making batteries for it, and it continues to do its job effectively, then it's not obsolete, as far as I'm concerned.

Bullzeyebill

Staff member
scaredpoet, welcome to CPF. Yes we do bicker from time to time. Some folks just got to have the latest and best and are impatient for new stuff to come out, and will decry the older models as not being worth it. Very often they have not even owned the stuff they think is obsolete so have no real justification for there complaints. But, we on CPF are mostly a tolerant group who thoroughly enjoy the hobby of flashlights and other lighting equipment.

Bill

jeffb

scaredpoet :welcome:

Bullzeyebill is surely correct, we have a very good forum with generally nice people.

I have a U2 and several other 5W Lux lights that are very useful; having had MANY lights, Luxeons, Crees, Seouls, 1W, etc...I do prefer the 5W and the U2 variable switching is really great for the tasks that I use it for.

I believe that those that join this board sometimes get carried away with the 'brightest" and "newest",as with many other hobbies and gadgets.....if you look around, you'll find some interesting lights, thoughts and people. Enjoy your stay!!

jeffb

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned
That's very nice from surefire continuing the support for the U2, i don't know if their replacement policy is which in case of failure beyond repair they either give you the old U2 or a UA2, but supporting a discontinued light is a plus (**cough novatac cough cough**) I will very likely get a U2 because it was one of the surefire's i always wanted which will also become a light with collectible value. I love surefires its what it got me into the flashlight and will keep supporting the surefire company and their dealers. I have had problems with a CREE L1 and they were nice enough to give me a replacement and overnight it to me.
But as flashaholic i really like progress as much as I feel the current U2 is showing it's age.

Brozneo

hey everyone, i just found this sight yesterday, very cool. i was looking online yesterday at the surefire 2008 catalog, and noticed that the u2 is not in there anywhere that i see. does anyone know if it has been discontinued, and if so, for what reason. i guess i'm gonna have to hurry to pick one up.

Slightly off topic (SORRY!) - but is there any internet retailers which have the Surefire U2 in stock?

I want to get one, but most seem to be on back order...

U2VOODOO

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking here for a while trying to learn about the tech. aspects of our High Output friends.

I like older things that have never fallen from promanance in our history. These items are known as classics, and one of those (new) classics is the U2.

I dont have the technical acumen to comment on emitters or electronics but the U2 is definately special, and perhaps the best looking surefire.

The newest of the new surefire's will indeed be fabulous, but we cannot relegate the U2 to the garbage bin just yet.

Enough said.;)