Surefire U2?

Prolepsis

Worse. Hang on to your wallet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Good choice on the U2 and AAA though. Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kz1000s1

Much, much worse, though it does help to start at the top like you are. Otherwise you spend more in the long run working your way up the ladder.

Oh, and don't start looking at watches, knives, multitools, etc. It can only lead to more trouble.

cybersoga

So how does the U2 compare with the L4, what's new?

*edit* just found the marketing blurb. I think I want one! SUREFIRE DIGITAL ULTRA VARIABLE POWER 5 WATT LED FLASHLIGHT - A serious marksman knows the advantage of a variable power scope - the ability to instantly dial just the right amount of magnification. The same holds true for a flashlight - the ability to dial just the right amount of light would be a great advantage. And that's what the new Digital Ultra is, a variable power flashlight. Turning a "power dial" around the body of the Digital Ultra varies the light output from 2 to 100 lumens. There are six power settings on the power ring. The Digital Ultra is ideal for sportsmen and hobbyists with its versatile, variable output.

JohnJ80

FYI, I just talked to Surefire about the U2 and the L2. They are saying that both lights are just going to production right now and the expected availability is 8-12 weeks. They said that the spec on the U2 is about 100 lumens of output. The L2 is basically a two switch position L4 (high/Low).

J

luxlover

Banned
Is there any word on the lumen output at each of the other 4 detents, beside the 2 lumen first click and the 100 lumen last click? I figure about 20 lumens per click: 2,20,40,60,80,100.

sodakar

Just out of curiosity, are all of you planning on EDC'ing your U2's? If so, where do you see yourself using it? Perhaps it is job-related?

I EDC a E2e for general use and a E1e+KL1 for close-up computer work, but I also have a C3, which is close in size to the U2, but it's gotten next-to-nothing in terms of use sitting in my car because it's too large to EDC, and I don't like belt holsters...

You guys must have big pants-pockets if you can fit a U2 inside the front pockets... (or did you mean hanging outside the pocket?)

Kiessling

Moderator,
The U2 is the ideal "task light" or "grab light" in addition to a small EDC. It is so formidable that it should replace almost everything in the 2x123 category for this kind of use .... drooooooool .....
bernhard

shannow

[ QUOTE ]
sodakar said:
Just out of curiosity, are all of you planning on EDC'ing your U2's? If so, where do you see yourself using it? Perhaps it is job-related?

I EDC a E2e for general use and a E1e+KL1 for close-up computer work, but I also have a C3, which is close in size to the U2, but it's gotten next-to-nothing in terms of use sitting in my car because it's too large to EDC, and I don't like belt holsters...

You guys must have big pants-pockets if you can fit a U2 inside the front pockets... (or did you mean hanging outside the pocket?)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking to flashaholics here, all that matters is that we own the latest and greatest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I want a U2 just to try it out and compare it with other lights. If I like it enough to carry it I would use a holster.

pjandyho

[ QUOTE ]
sodakar said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhhh....That is not a problem for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif I am a photographer by profession and I always carry a bag with me. In my bag is usually my KL5 + M2 body and at times a G2Z. I have long made the KL5 + M2 as my EDC light in place of the E2e so I don't think it is going to be a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Andy Ho

luxlover

Banned
Stop drooling! It is not becoming of you!!! On the other hand, I don't blame you, Bernhard........I am starting to drool too! This light may just become the first SureFire light "to die for!", and for all the right reasons, too. It sure is a beauty!

Luxlover

luxlover

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
You're talking to flashaholics here, all that matters is that we own the latest and greatest.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto! But what if the U2 ends up being the light of lights........a light that does everything but tie our shoes.........our last light? Will the flashaholic journey end on this note?

Luxlover

Reno

Until they can produce a light
------------------------------
-The exact size of an Arc AAA
-with unlimited dimming from 2 to like 10,000 lumens
-Can change from 180 degree flood to 1 degree spot without flaws in the beam
-That runs all night (on high) and recharges in the sun, with an 'endurance' option for Alaskans that simply runs for 6 months without stopping
-Changes colors (maybe even color temperatures)
-Has a light source that never degrades
-Has a power source that never degrades
-Glows in the dark- forever.
-Is engraved with your CPF membership, and finished in whatever color you like

I just don't think I'll be satisfied.
So while the U2 is dang exciting, I'll still be going broke on flashlights for years to come.