luxlover

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Until they can produce a light
------------------------------
-The exact size of an Arc AAA
-with unlimited dimming from 2 to like 10,000 lumens
-Can change from 180 degree flood to 1 degree spot without flaws in the beam
-That runs all night (on high) and recharges in the sun, with an 'endurance' option for Alaskans that simply runs for 6 months without stopping
-Changes colors (maybe even color temperatures)
-Has a light source that never degrades
-Has a power source that never degrades
-Glows in the dark- forever.
-Is engraved with your CPF membership, and finished in whatever color you like.

I just don't think I'll be satisfied. So while the U2 is dang exciting, I'll still be going broke on flashlights for years to come.

[/ QUOTE ] I commend your wish list, and offer you my condolences in advance, for the slow leak that will occur in your wallet as a result of your uncontrollable and delightful spending...........

Will that be cash, check, or charge for that U2 puppy?

Luxlover

Reno

Enlightened
Luxlover, The U2's price is really not that bad, considering what I'm sinking into my E2e nowadays.

Got Dat2zip to build me a mighty PR-T head compatible w/ Pilas - 95.00

Ordered up my Pilas from Jon - 97.00

Gonna contact Gadgetlover for that cool dimmer mod he built into the Z57, but also have to buy the tailcap seperately - about 60.00

Ohh, let's not forget the initial cost of the light was - 70.00

So, my E2e (that people thought was initially too much money) is going to be worth the purchase price of a U2 soon!

McGizmo, maybe I should make the list my sig? Naw, to big. Would make a nice plaque, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Reno said:

So, my E2e (that people thought was initially too much money) is going to be worth the purchase price of a U2 soon!

[/ QUOTE ]
That is true until when you decided to do some mods on your U2.

"Ouch!! Don't prick my wallet! It hurts..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Andy Ho

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I lost the will to resist and preordered a U2. If everything works out it will replace my SF M2 as my EDC. Of course, that makes the other half of my EDC (SF L1) less necissary, so then I have to find a replacement for that (man, this never ends).

The thing that I am wondering, is how waterproof will this beast be? Any idea how the rotating level switch works? Is it water resistant at all? Hmmm...

[Edit]Oh, another thing:

Is there going to be a lanyard attachment option? Looking at the pics it isn't clear how you would attach a lanyard.

Thanks,

-john

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:
... The thing that I am wondering, is how waterproof will this beast be? ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically Surefire doesn't certify their flashlights to be water proof unless requested [for extra $$$]. That being said, they do normally have all the O-Rings required to be water resistent to a fairly good extent. They are not designed to be diving lights, unless specifically stated, but they will probably survive quite well if accidently dropped in a shallow puddle.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have clearified. I understand SF avoides the "waterproof" word. However, I wouldn't hesitate to take any of my SF lights (I don't have a G2 :) into the water (not diving).

I assume SF will put the normal O rings on the bezel and tailcap of the U2, but what about the brightness dial? Is the mechanism inherently waterproof (magnetic), or nearly impossible to waterproof? My thinking is this could be the weakest link.

My guess is that there are two O rings on the brightness dial, one on each side of the actual switch mechanism. My hope is that if it is built this way there would be two O rings on each side. I guess my real hope would be the dial design is inherently waterproof and there are two tailcap O rings (ala M2), etc. :)

-john

turbodog

Flashaholic
I have figured out a way to make a u2 style dimmer w/o adding any more moving parts to a standard light. Before you ask, no I will not be giving out info unless it is to someone here that will agreee to make me one in exchange for the design. I am currently talking with a machinist about mfg it myself out of some custom part (obviously) and off the shelf stuff (badboy/etc).

Reno

Enlightened
Turbo dog, nice work.

You've kind of been scooped, though. Gadgetlover and McGizmo both have a mod just like yours. Well, similar (don't know your details) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I remember my other question. Will the U2 run safely on 3 cells?

Thanks,

-john

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
I plan on running my U2 when I get it on the Pila battery system. Guilt free lummens is good! Get your set from JSBurlys He has great custermer service. His banner in in the banner pages.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
New pics from PK's site

RR3.jpg

Latest posts