SureFire UDR Dominator - Review, Photos and discussion

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
it looks like optics planet is selling these under a 20% off promo. making me look at this light a little harder now.

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone disassembled the battery pack to determine what the cells are? Or has anyone experimented with the battery carrier to get some off the shelf replacement batteries that are rechargeable to replace the 123's?

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
Just received the UDR Dominator from B&H in NY I just wanted to confirm that keeppower 2500mah 16650 fits and works, but the flashlight thinks the battery is low so it blinks red. didn't try how long it works with these batteries but ill update soon.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received the UDR Dominator from B&H in NY I just wanted to confirm that keeppower 2500mah 16650 fits and works, but the flashlight thinks the battery is low so it blinks red. didn't try how long it works with these batteries but ill update soon.

Interesting. Please update us your findings.

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE: I tried one more time, and it worked for 30 sec @ max blast = 3 dead keeppower 16650s...I probably fried the protection circuit board of the battery or not sure what happened. the voltage reads 1v.. haven't tried with unprotected 16650s they are probably too short to fit, might need lil adaptor.:fail:

gFWvMUk.jpg

for the size comparison:
YZrDrG5.jpg

UPDATE 2: I peeled off the protection circuit off the battery and the battery voltage is reading 4.2v.
I tried fitting the batteries without the protection circuit, it is too short. need piece of copper or adaptor. :thumbsdow

Update 3: I used a washer as a spacer between the negative contact, the light works at stepdown mode since it thinks I have low battery.
Fuel gage reads Orange led on lvl 1-6, red led from 7 to lvl9 and max burst for 2 sec, red led blinks once and step down lvl 8. I had it on for good 1 hour @ lvl8 and individual batteries tested at 4v.
The PCB probably got damaged by shoving it in the adaptor in the beginning and I realized I can loosen up the 3 top screws and make that extra 1mm space. I will buy 6 more 16650s to test them out again.

Conclusion: 16650s can be used as back up with just no max blast mode.

Last edited:

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
More info: Called surefire and asked about additional rechargeable battery pack :$290.00

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
here is the modified battery carrier for protected 16650 batteries
d69zrpv.jpg

3KjUEX3.jpg

will update when the new keeppower 16650s arrive.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody can measure total voltage of battery holder loaded with 12 fresh primary 123A ?

Also voltage of original rechargeable battery pack (hot off the charger) ?

Thank you.

DSCF2851.jpg

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a fresh pack of Surefire 123's and I'll charge my light tonight. I should be able to get the info. PM me if I don't post it in a day or two to remind me.

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
just did a voltage check from fresh sf cr123 and came out 13.03volts from two outside rings, and 12.61 from center to second ring.
UF8Mh0v.jpg

Center to second outer ring

I8zXIEW.jpg

second ring to third ring

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
8.34volts from oem rechargeable battery (outer ring to second ring and outer ring to center ring same voltage) it reads 0v from center to second ring on oem rechargeable battery.

6x keeppower:
8.14v from center to second ring, 8.4v from outer ring to second ring, 0v from outer to center.
Zwp4b93.jpg

I tried putting a little electrical tape on the center with the keeppowers loaded, surprisingly the fuelgage led is now green all the way through lvl8 and orange on lvl9 max blast. the best part is it doesn't step down to lvl8 after 2 sec like how it used to without the electrical tape!
So im guessing this trick makes the light somewhat thinks it has the oem battery installed.
I8zw5mS.jpg

Last edited:

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
what ill try next is while the center is masked with electrical tape, I will put a piece of metal on top of the tape and bridge it to the second ring and see what happens. bad idea? the battery carrier is wired weird so that the center contact becomes negative on the carrier wiring system, its probably because it is designed for 12-13v. outer ring to second rings voltage was 8.4 so that would make the light same as oem rechargeable batteries voltage (8.34~8.4v) instead of 8.14v(center to second ring voltage. please let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Latest posts