Surefire w/Cree drop-in, or something else?

toasterlocker

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of new to the fancy flashlight thing, so I'm looking for a good place to start. Based on my like/dislikes, I'm thinking of getting a Surefire of some sort and drop in one of those Cree assemblies that are sold on ebay. But before I do that, I want to know if you all think that would be best for my needs.

Here is my thinking:

I got a Fenix P3D, which I am pretty impressed with, but it isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I want a good light for my duty belt, so I'm thinking something about the size of a Blackhawk Gladius or Streamlight Stinger at the largest. Something with decent throw and a normal clickie or momentary switch. I really hate the reverse clickie. Preferred place for the switch would be on the tailcap.

Price: I am NOT willing to spend over $100. I guess I'm just not a true flashaholic:rolleyes: I don't really care about features like dimming or strobe, all I really want is something with flood and throw well-suited to law enforcement type-work.

Would a Surefire with the drop in be best for me, or should I consider something else?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe take a look at Pila's with Cree option.

If you are looking for a SOLID light - you may want to take a look at the Pila G2 or G3. I recently purchased a G2 with Cree module and really like this light. The reflector produces a fantastic beam that is just about perfect. It has a nice size hotspot with plenty of throw and a nice spill beam. Take a look at the 2 reviews in the reviews section. Whats nice is that it also accepts the Pila lithium rechargables.

I also have a P3D that I like but the G2 is in a different class. It is a diffent type of light as well. The light requires a holster since it is a bit fat and too heavy for pocket carry - built like a tank! It fits perfectly in the hand and feels well balanced though. Its kinda like a mini piece of artwork.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a litle bit more money the SF M2, C2, Z2, D2 all using the D26 size drop-ins. Rechargeables are the way to go. For me, the M2 with a cree drop in pushing in the region of 130-150 lumens and feeding on 17670 would be ideal. As for the drop-ins, theres quite a few in the market. Check out the threads especially in the LED section for discussions on some of these drop ins including beamshots if any.

And Welcome to CPF. If you are looking for information, do search for it first....have a nice day.:)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire 6P.............$60.00
Cree drop-in module....$30.00
Total 90.00

10.00 extra for 123 cells(buy online for under $2 each as opposed to $5-$10 each at the store)

toasterlocker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips so far.

Jumpstart, just wanted to let you know I've been lurking on the forum for months before posting any questions. The searching I've done so far has been somewhat inconclusive, just because of the sheer magnitude of information here. For someone new to lights like me, it really is TOO much information!:)

I figured it would be a good time to ask instead of just kind of guessing based on what I've read so far.

Is ebay an okay place to get the drop in, or is there an online dealer you all would recommend?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with a standby thats been around for YEARS. A 6P or 9P. As far as not
being a flashaholic :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :D :D :D :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :poof: Why we will just see
about that! By the way, welcome! :poke: The poof may be your wallet! :devil:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litemania is where I bought my drop in from, here on CPF for $30.00.....look in the dealers section.

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 3rd party LED options pretty limited for the 9P and G3 platform? I'm finding 6P modules out the wazoo, but don't recall seeing a good aftermarket 9v LED module.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound for 1 sells them and there are others. I didn't recommend a G3 because
I'm not sure about heat buildup but the metal bodied lights will be fine.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
toasterlocker said:
Thanks for the tips so far.

Jumpstart, just wanted to let you know I've been lurking on the forum for months before posting any questions. The searching I've done so far has been somewhat inconclusive, just because of the sheer magnitude of information here. For someone new to lights like me, it really is TOO much information!:)

I figured it would be a good time to ask instead of just kind of guessing based on what I've read so far.

Is ebay an okay place to get the drop in, or is there an online dealer you all would recommend?
First of all have you decided which host you going to use? and feed it with? Primaries or rechargeables.
Whats can be found are:-
1)www.dealextreme.com cree drop in around $12.50 shipped
2)Litemania's Cree Xre Version 2, 3.7-9v around $35 shipped
3)Wolf-Eyes 130 lumens & High output 170lumens around $45-$50 shipped. @ www.pts-flashlights.com
4)Calvinmo's 6 mode Cree Q2, 3.7-4.2v 160lumens aroud $35 shipped.

No.2 & 4 are selling currently in the dealer section. No.1&3 needs to purchased online. On eBay, there are various types at various price levels. Personally, I'd prefer to purchase an item where it has been discussed in depth rather than relying to seller's info which is usually biased.

cfromc

Enlightened
I've read that the Wolf-eyes ones really stand above the rest for build quality. I plan on getting the 1000ma (170 lumen) version. Even though it costs the most, I'd rather have something that I can trust and rely on. Also, regarding the G3, they can be had for under $50 shipped and if it can handle a P91 (which Surefire says it can) I see no reason why it can't handle a Cree. I'd say get a G2/G3/6P/9P, etc. and run rechargeable protected L-ions (1x17670 for the G2/6P or 2x17500 for the G3/9P). You should get at least a couple hours on a charge.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
cfromc said:
I've read that the Wolf-eyes ones really stand above the rest for build quality. I plan on getting the 1000ma (170 lumen) version. Even though it costs the most, I'd rather have something that I can trust and rely on. Also, regarding the G3, they can be had for under $50 shipped and if it can handle a P91 (which Surefire says it can) I see no reason why it can't handle a Cree. I'd say get a G2/G3/6P/9P, etc. and run rechargeable protected L-ions (1x17670 for the G2/6P or 2x17500 for the G3/9P). You should get at least a couple hours on a charge.
Good point! :)

scottaw

Enlightened
I've had no problems with my dealextreme 12.50 drop in with my 6P, and it's BRIGHT. But then again, i have a lot of lights that others here have had problems with, i must just keep hitting the lottery....now to hit the powerball and buy ALL the lights i want.

cfromc

Enlightened
It sounds like some get lucky with those Dealextreme drop-ins, and some don't. Nothing is a sure thing, but I think the odds are better with a couple of the other brands.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most importantly is the fit issues I reckon. Trying to get the best fit for your light. First of all I wouldn't want any gaps when installed. Secondly,the heat transfer must also be as good as using a Surefire drop in, if not heat built up on the reflector and circuits may cause it to fail or short. There would not be an issue if surefire themselves comes out with a led drop in...........possible?!?