Surefire XM-L Tower Module DD

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Justincase and Tx101, do you recall what color bin your xmls are? Do they happen to be the 5000k XML cssish is selling? Also, other thuan the shoppe, where can I find or make a copper shim? namely, the 0.042" thick copper shim?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought bare XM-Ls from Digikey and reflowed them onto datiLED's boards. Neutral tint -- 4A, 4B, 4C, or 4D (no choice, that's the chromaticity range that the XM-L kit spans).

You can punch out shims from copper sheet available from onlinemetals.com.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the bins and the link to online metals. Do I need a special tool to punch the circles out of the sheet?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
One way is to use a sheet metal "power punch" (search Amazon.com for power punch). The 9/32" punch will give you a ~7mm shim.

The shim will have a dimple in it, which needs to be flattened/removed. The dimple comes from the sharp point on the punch. The punched-out shim often also fits very tightly in the die and can be a slight hassle to get out.

If you don't mind a bit of extra work, you could try punching a copper penny (pre-1982 IIRC) and filing it down to the desired thickness (stock thickness is about 0.06"). Hopefully, the two faces will be smooth, flat, and parallel. Or punch a dime, which is about 0.05" thick.

Latest posts