Surefire z46 vs lumens factory mini turbo head

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the difference of .1" diameter and obviously using d36 assemblies vs m3 assemblies and shock absorbsion is it basically the same thing? A way to have an m3 like light without trying to find a discontinued part and needing an adaptor

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking to get a more throwy light than the standard P26 (1" bezel), than the D36 turbo head from Lumens Factory would be the way to go. With the extra 10mm in bezel diameter you can expect a tighter hotspot and a somewhat greater throw. I won't be anything like what you would get from an M3, with it's 2.5" bezel as far as throw is concerned. Plus, you are talking about $50 to $80 USD plus the cost of whatever 3 cell host you use. If what you are looking for is more throw than your standard P60-style light, for the same money you could gat a Nitecore EA8 or something similar that should meet all your needs for a reasonably small throwy light. If money is am object, look at an EA4 instead. Both the EA44 and the EA8 were designed for throw, and have the deeper reflectors needed to make that happen, much more so than the D36 head you are looking for.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ea8 looks neat but it's led. I'm looking for strictly incan. And are you sure you're not referring to the m3t. That's a 2.5" head I believe. The m3 head is 1.6" the LF mini turbo head is 1.5" shouldn't be much diference

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried one a few years ago and wasn't impressed with it or the Seraph series. The threads seemed really loose as well.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my Seraph 6 for a couple of years now and have had no problems whatsoever. I apologize about the LED stuff, not paying attention I guess. I bought an HO-6 incan P60 drop-in several years ago before LEDs can down in price for my G2. I really liked it and feel it was well worth the money. You might want to drop Lumens Factory a line and ask about a price for a Seraph body with the D36 turbo head and the drop-in you want rather than buy the extra head and LA that you don't want. They seem very reasonable about things like that.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I put a EO-9L in a M3 head and it is pretty darn bright. The LF 9L reflector/lamp assemblies do fit in a Z46 head. You wont need the shock foam. Once installed the end of the reflector butts right up against the foam retaining ring. But I would not recommend the EO-9L if I had to do it over again. It gets pretty darn hot and FAST! Plus it will gobble up a set of 123's in a very short time. However the SR-9L could be the ticket. The LF 9L series reflectors are much deeper than the standard Z46 and put out a nice throwy beam.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
@timothybill. Thanks and dont worry about the mixup. It's no problem. I'll try that as the seraph will be a d36 light only. I have enough incan d26 lights
@m4a1usr. That's neat I didn't know the LF assemblies would fit. I use the eo9 which I believe is the same current and output as the sr9l. So it's deeper and should put out a beam like an m3 or better?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
@timothybill. Thanks and dont worry about the mixup. It's no problem. I'll try that as the seraph will be a d36 light only. I have enough incan d26 lights
@m4a1usr. That's neat I didn't know the LF assemblies would fit. I use the eo9 which I believe is the same current and output as the sr9l. So it's deeper and should put out a beam like an m3 or better?

The LF reflectors being much deeper than the stock Z46 put out much better throw and a more concentrated hot spot. If your looking for better spill than the LF might not be suited to your needs.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thanks. That's what I'm looking for a farther throwing beam with a more intense hot spot. I like my 26mm incans but looking for other options