Surefires are EXPENSIVE!

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did the thing about the lamp assembly only lasting as long as the battery come from? That shouldn't be the case.

I'm sure many SF owners have used the same lamp assembly through multiple sets of batteries..

Graham

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well as I understand it people get about an hour out of a 123. I guess longer if you don't run it all at once, and then the bulb assembly claims to work for 75 minutes, about an hour.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get you. You mean the lamp assembly is only rated for 75 minutes? Where did you hear that?

Graham

Saaby

Flashaholic
Surefire website, like I said, set me straight, are THEY off THEIR rocker?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ok, I have been straightened. I interpeted "15 lumens for 75 minutes" which was the battery life for bulb life, because it said that with the bulb assembly info.

Thanks everyone!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe the Scorpion & similar bulbs are rated for about 2-3 battery changes. SureFires are not officially rated (this has been discussed before), but you should get about 15-30 hours from your SureFires (this depends so much on useage characteristics and is difficult to nail down. If a bulb lasts 5-10 sets, it will usually last double that...

I use my E2e about a set of SF123As a week, and never had to replace the bulb. I had one N2, and one N62 lamp die of old age after more battery changes then I could remember.

Bulblife of SureFires is not an issue I would get even slightly worried about.

Al

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted before, Surefire will warranty their bulbs for 20 hours. This has been stated to me by customer service at Surefire. Three times I've had to have lamp assemblies replaced and my word was never questioned by Surefire, nor asked that the blown LA be returned for verification.

The issue of whether Surefires are too expensive is subjective and has been discussed in this forum many times but their customer service and the resolving of problems has generally been held in high favor by posters of this forum.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, SF's are right up near the top for cost per minute to run but that on the battery life. Bulb life has never been an issue for me as mine have been great for longevity.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Expensive is in the eye of the lightholder
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well yeah, I have stepped off my soapbox and now I don't think they're too bad as long as you can find a decent source of 123s. The website needs to be rewritten though, it says the estimated battery life by all the bulbs but that can easily be confused, as I did, with bulb life. It says

"15 lumens for 75 minutes"

Now isn't that just plain confusing? See, what would I have done without CPF?

Saaby

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
Without CPF, there's a good chance you wouldn't have known about SF.
xyxthumbs.gif
TX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(Twilight zone music plays)
I was going to say that but decited not too, so...good point.
grin.gif