Swapping 4Sevens Pro/Tactical tailcaps

dantecubit

Newly Enlightened
Greetings. Forgive me if this has been asked before (surely it has) but I searched and could not find the answer.

I am in the market for a 2x CR123 4Sevens light. I realize that the 'guts' of the light are in the head and that to truly convert the light requires a new head, but what would happen if one put a tactical tailcap on a pro light? or vice versa?

I would like to have the 'pro' interface but also be able to put on the tactical tailcap for walking in the dark at night so I have instant on to maximum with no clicking (i don't mind if i lose access to different modes, just want maximum). so, what would happen with a tailcap switch, either pro tailcap onto tactical head or tactical tailcap on pro head? thanks

jcw122

Enlightened
4Sevens customer service will be able to give you the best answer. But I believe your logic is correct. The modes will not change at all, but you will have an instant-on/momentary-on with the Tactical cap on a Pro light, but it will cycle through the modes like normal! You will also lose tail stand ability. And with the Pro switch on a Tactical light, it'll simply get rid of the momentary-on feature but allow tail standing.

I personally just bought a Tactical light, and I didn't care for how the Pro interface works, as I don't need many modes at the ready.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The forward/Tac clicky on the Pro interface will change modes with each subsequent half press, as opposed to momentary activation of the same mode - it is "momentary" only for the first press. The reverse clicky works fine on the Tac interface, I use one on some of mine.

I would like to have the 'pro' interface but also be able to put on the tactical tailcap for walking in the dark at night so I have instant on to maximum with no clicking ...

There maybe a suitable work-around for the Pro interface that I like using for signaling.... Back the bezel off just a hair from the tight bezel position, then turn the light on on moonlight or low (you're walking in the dark, right?), hold the light underhanded with your thumb on the bezel. When you need Max, just apply slight sideways pressure on the bezel and you will momentarily have it. Release pressure and you'll be back to whatever you set loose bezel to.

dantecubit

Newly Enlightened
so with a Pro light with tightened bezel (the max/strobe setting) the momentary press of the tactical switch would operate the "max" mode? the max mode would stay on as long as i held the tac switch? then if i released the tailcap switch and pressed again, it would activate strobe?

I haven't owned a tactical and it just seems like having to program modes would be a pain-- I like how the Pro has very usable modes pre-programmed. and if i can use the tactical tailcap with the Pro light (my main concern is instant bright light at night to stun a potential attacker) it sounds like I am better served buying the Pro light with an extra Tac tailcap and not the other way around.

I am SUPER stoked to try out the XM-L2 in a 2x CR123 format. 360 lumens (plus 20% according to 4sevens page) will be ridiculous! The summer has finally come up here, it is ridiculously nice and I will be doing lots of camping. Too bad it stays light til 10 PM though! hahahah

jcw122

Enlightened
so with a Pro light with tightened bezel (the max/strobe setting) the momentary press of the tactical switch would operate the "max" mode? the max mode would stay on as long as i held the tac switch? then if i released the tailcap switch and pressed again, it would activate strobe?

I haven't owned a tactical and it just seems like having to program modes would be a pain-- I like how the Pro has very usable modes pre-programmed. and if i can use the tactical tailcap with the Pro light (my main concern is instant bright light at night to stun a potential attacker) it sounds like I am better served buying the Pro light with an extra Tac tailcap and not the other way around.

I am SUPER stoked to try out the XM-L2 in a 2x CR123 format. 360 lumens (plus 20% according to 4sevens page) will be ridiculous! The summer has finally come up here, it is ridiculously nice and I will be doing lots of camping. Too bad it stays light til 10 PM though! hahahah

There's a few Youtube videos about the UIs that could be useful. Honestly, if it's your first light you might find that most of the time you'll only be using 2 different modes regularly.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, that's how it would work within the 4 sec reset time (over 4 sec, you reset and the second click will restart at the beginning or max).

The tactical clicky might save you a millisecond by activating on the "press," as opposed to the "release," but IMHO it makes the Pro UI much more cumbersome for all other uses.... what you will probably use the light for 99.9999% of the time. Consider how the light will operate in loose bezel mode.

I like the Pro interfaces better, since I'm a low lumen/night vision guy and am always trying to use the lowest illumination possible... but still want max quickly available.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK it's just a matter of the Pro lineup has a reverse clicky (out of the box) and the tactical line has forward clicky switches. they are interchangeable