TA30 review : updated, it was not a breakdown

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: TA30 (initial)

There is a couple of reasons to use 2x17500 cells instead of 3x16340:)

1) 2 cells are cheaper than three
2) it is easier to charge two cells
3) 17500 have better runtime

Btw. did anyone published any TA30 runtime graphs yet ? :cool:
fenixta30runtime.gif

Thanks for the Graph! 2 hours regulated on high with 2xAW 17500's...and can use primaries.... I really like this light!. In my much younger days when I did "unarmed" security, this light would have given me a much greater feeling of safety walking around at night.

I really think Fenix made the Origional T1's toughness even better in this light. Thanks again for the graph

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TA30 breakdown!!!!

BIG NEWS: (at least to me), i have been running my TA30 on 2x14500s with no problems since i got it as my RCR123s cannot be charged as the charger broke and i'm waiting for my new one. But my 14500 charger is working fine.

I have torture tested the light a few times by whacking a brick wall with the assault bezel to see if it would damage the bezel (it didnt by the way) and dropping it waist high down a flight of stairs.

It was working fine till yesterday, after another knocking around i wanted to show it to a friend but the output was REALLY dim, i havent compared it yet to my other lights with low output but trust me on this its LOW.
Tried changing modes but the output remained the same, strobe was working but output was the same low level

At first i thought it was the cells but i charged them, put them in, same low level. "hmmmm" i thought, perhaps the CELLS are the problem, tested each cell in my Ultrafire C3 Jet I Mk IIx, Jet I Pro IBS Q5 v2.0, working fine.

Will be contacting the agent to send it in to see what's wrong and update accordingly.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

1) Not really, check price from AW, 3xRCR123 are cheaper.
2) Yes, but not much.
3) I wonder about that, 3xRCR123 has a little bit more energy, maybe the efficiency of TA30 is better with 17500?
3) I wonder about that, 3xRCR123 has a little bit more energy, maybe the efficiency of TA30 is better with 17500?
By using 3xRCR123 in series, you are only increasing voltage, not capacity. Energy will always remain in the 500+ mAh ballpark, it doesn't matter if you put a hundred of 16340s in series.... On the other hand, any 17500 brandless piece of crap cell delivers more than true 1000 mAh.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic

By using 3xRCR123 in series, you are only increasing voltage, not capacity. Energy will always remain in the 500+ mAh ballpark, it doesn't matter if you put a hundred of 16340s in series.... On the other hand, any 17500 brandless piece of crap cell delivers more than true 1000 mAh.

Energy is calculated as voltage*current*time. 3 batteries has 3 times the energy of one battery of the same size and the TK30 known how to use the energy with high efficiency.
But I was not aware that the capacity, specified by AW, was way to high for 16340 (RCR123) batteries.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Energy is calculated as voltage*current*time. 3 batteries has 3 times the energy of one battery of the same size and the TK30 known how to use the energy with high efficiency.
But I was not aware that the capacity, specified by AW, was way to high for 16340 (RCR123) batteries.
You're right when it come to the theoretical calculation of energy. However, the amount of available Amperes will not change by stacking up countless cells. That's why the runtime will always be better when using 2x17500 versus 3x16340, the same is true for 2x17670 versus 4x16340. Bigger cells trump little cells, no matter how many of them you use in series...

HKJ

Flashaholic

You're right when it come to the theoretical calculation of energy. However, the amount of available Amperes will not change by stacking up countless cells. That's why the runtime will always be better when using 2x17500 versus 3x16340, the same is true for 2x17670 versus 4x16340. Bigger cells trump little cells, no matter how many of them you use in series...

There is nothing theoretical about my calculations, a modern driver uses energy, not mAh, and will use less current at higher voltages.

primox1

Newly Enlightened

hyperloop...glad to see youre running the light through its paces, as it is suppose to be a impact resistant light. keep up posted. and thanks for your efforts as well!!

:popcorn:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

updated my review, it was not a breakdown, just a cell problem see post #1

Import Junky

Newly Enlightened
Re: TA30 - review, indoor & outdoor beamshots - more to come

Hi richard, though not in the class that we would normally call 'throwers' i.e. lights with large diameter reflectors, this light throws easily 150 - 200 feet (i am being conservative here) as can be seen from the beamshot i took of the TA30 on high facing the opposite building with a LOT of ambient lighting.

There is another review here with some nice beamshots.

Hope that helps

I hope it throws more than that.. Ive ranged my LD20 to provide enough light for id at 150 meters

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure it does, like i said, i am being very convservative and also, i havent had the opportunity to test the light in really dark conditions. Singapore is a place where we have to hunt for darkness.

Flashaholics here get REALLY weird looks. :D

Latest posts