Tactical or Practical, which do you use most

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I suppose what I meant by the question vicv (post #16) was whether the majority of flashlight use is for duty like a security guard or police officer, ems, fire fighter, etc or if it is used for general purpose lighting.

Or, is it carried as a just in case number like policescanner man mentioned in post #3.

My EDC lights are tactical in nature but are used as general purpose (usually on low setting). Yet if the need arises they can be used as a duty light with their max output and kubatan abilities.

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened
I think the SF gas pedal switch is the best balance of practical and tactical use.
Some dual switches flashlights are also nice. Side switch for multiple output and tail switch for max tactical output.

Lumen83

Enlightened
If what makes a tactical light tactical is the simple UI and ruggedness, then I prefer tactical. I don't like lights with complex UIs and extremely high outputs. I prefer a simple 6P for most work, and an EDCL1-T or anything with a surefire gas pedal UI for just about anything else.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Forgot to add this earlier=

a neutral tint, rotary light effectively checks most boxes & questions

Ex: Jetbeam RRT01 Raptor

~ can use different battery types
~ have it start at any output
~ momantary signal
~ ... no UI, just turn the ring
~ tailstand
~ good clip
~ great anodize in my opinion
~ high CRI

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Forgot to add this earlier=

a neutral tint, rotary light effectively checks most boxes & questions

Ex: Jetbeam RRT01 Raptor

~ can use different battery types
~ have it start at any output
~ momantary signal
~ ... no UI, just turn the ring
~ tailstand
~ good clip
~ great anodize in my opinion
I always wanted to try one of these

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Referring to the twisty version called D25LC2 'Mini' by eagletac,, been discontinued for several years.

I'd like to see any manufacturer make a 21700 twisty light,,, switches wear out.
Ahh yes, the "Mini". I forgot about that one. That's the word I missed in your post. One trouble with Eagtac is that they make a zillion lights that all start with D25LC2, and are distinguished only by a word following that:-(

Yes, there's a switch in there, and like all switches, it will eventually fail...but I understand what you're getting at. Fortunately, unlike many so-called "twisty" lights, yours has a proper switch with contacts made of a proper switch contact material (which does NOT include aluminum [and especially un-plated Al]), and it will likely function for a long time. It's a very 'minimal form factor' 1x18650, for sure. I couldn't use it for other reasons, but it's cool for that minimum length!

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer one mode lights because batteries are cheap, I don't have to think about it when I use i, and I'm not a spelunker.

I do have some multi-mode lights, but end up almost never using them. I rarely find that I need only 50 lumens for 50 hours straight.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that I have high output lights, and low output lights for emergencies. I prefer that to messing with modes.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
When at work I use practical, Malkoff 3 mode 16650. Outside of work, I keep Maglite in car and usually carry the MDC TAC. If I go to a more high risk area, then I will carry the Bodyguard.

I recently bought a varied assortment of Malkoff lights but I end up using a M61T MD2 the majority of the time. It's output isn't out of control—it doesn't overdrive batteries and it runs for a long time. But the tight beam profile makes the high and low modes highly useful at a variety of distances.

Because it is in my pocket 24/7, I use it for a lot of utility tasks such as digging around in an engine compartment or picking up after the dog. Tactical tasks include checking my truck or illuminating suspicious dark spaces when I'm out at night. I've never had to use it to support my CCW but it does give me a sense of security to know that my #1 light is capable of it. The beam is quite concentrated and blinding in the dark.

I tried using a M61L as my primary light but even just for utility tasks there were many times where I found the beam pattern anemic such as when walking into a dark warehouse in the daytime or working against bright sunlight or streetlights. So for me my practical choice was a light that is incidentally good as a tac-light too.

I'd take a M61TL (Throw pattern beam at around 250 lumens) if Malkoff would make one. That would be my ideal light.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My preference use is practical (thankfully very little if any tactical applications these days) but I do find tactical lights with simple UI's, momentary capability and that are built to last to be very practical, if that makes any sense.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think the SF gas pedal switch is the best balance of practical and tactical use.
Some dual switches flashlights are also nice. Side switch for multiple output and tail switch for max tactical output.
I just wish SureFire was more consistent with their gas-pedal tailcap switches. They're either perfect, or rock-hard!

Also, I prefer tactical lights and use those on a daily basis. Out of the literally hundreds of lights I own, I think maybe 10 are geared specifically for practical use.

Spin

Enlightened
I prefer one mode lights because batteries are cheap, I don't have to think about it when I use i, and I'm not a spelunker.

I do have some multi-mode lights, but end up almost never using them. I rarely find that I need only 50 lumens for 50 hours straight.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that I have high output lights, and low output lights for emergencies. I prefer that to messing with modes.
Which lights do you have that are 50 lumens for 50 hours?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Spin, I just replied to your PM, didn't see you posted the same question. I have lots of LED lanterns and Malkoffs that produce that amount of light for a very long time or longer.

Spin

Enlightened
Hi Spin, I just replied to your PM, didn't see you posted the same question. I have lots of LED lanterns and Malkoffs that produce that amount of light for a very long time or longer.
Ok, thank you.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use practical more than tactical, but carry both. Normally I don't need the 1500 lumens of my Fury DFT, much better served with high or low power of a Mini Maglite Pro+.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually (at least generally) fail to see the need to differentiate / choose. Most all the lights I normally carry are quite capable of fulfilling the requirements of both 'roles / applications' (or whatever those who differentiate choose to call them). To provide proper N+1 redundancy, they pretty much have to be by definition. I suppose there can be exceptions. Frankly, if they can't do that, they generally don't make it into my pockets much. I'm fairly particular and 'practical' in what I buy though.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For me the term 'tactical' means it can also be used as a life preservation tool as well. Enough heft or proper shape to break glass if I'm stuck upside down in my car, inflict a defensive move on a would be robber, or cause the perp to see blue stars while I flee. As a rule I don't kick in doors or enter dark places with gun drawn so I don't need it for that purpose. Yet it needs to be reliable enough to withstand being dunked, dropped or used as a hammer and still work. When I crawl under a house the light needs to work every time.

So unless going out back at 2am and spotting what has the hounds all whipped into a frenzy or spotting doggy land mines on the way to a dark shed is a tactical use..... it's all practical to me.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Id say I prefer tactical style lights but use them in a mostly practical way. In general tactical style lights are built to tougher standards. I like durable lights that wont fail me. When my flashlight hobby took off it was because I entered the security world and tactical lights suited me better. I was issued many safety approved lights for various sites and found they were big, clumsy, and prone to failure. Tactical lights also lead the way in the LED revolution.