Tad Customs Bi-Pin drop-in kit for C size (updated 6/22)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,
I have the Tad Customs kit as follows with readings (note my Klux is not instant but sustained).

• 2*26650 C size Maglite with side switch
  • Tad customs bi-pin drop-in kit.
  • UCL lens
  • Kaidomain SMO and OP reflectors
  • Ushio 30watt bulb 6V- 5.10A at tailcap for 42watts of power makes 47.5K lux.
  • Platinum 20watt bulb 6V
  • Osram 10watt bulb 6V
  • Tad Custom 20watt 6V- 3.6~3.7A at the tailcap for a nice 30watts of overall power! Only about 23K lux, but seems way more in outdoor use.

I need to get some tailcap currents for you all and some pictures later today hopefully. Here is a summary of what I have found
The 10watt bulb is yellow, I didn't like it at all
The 30watt bulb is noticeable the brightest but it doesn't focus well with neither of those reflectors mentioned

The best bulb is the one TAD Customs included with the kit. It is the slimmest bulb and fits perfectly (the others required I dremel out the socket a bit since they are thicker). So, not only is the drop-in kit amazing quality but the bulb he sends with it is puts out a nice white light while focusing just as nice.

This is very impressive to say the least....stay tuned for follow up!

-bigC

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tad Customs Bi-Pin drop-in kit for C size Maglites review

[*]2*26650 C size Maglite with side switch
[*]Ushio 30watt bulb 6V
[*]Platinum 20watt bulb 6V
[*]Osram 10watt bulb 6V

Voltage and wattage of bulb don't tell you much unless you know designed life hour.
This way, you will know how hard you can overdrive it safely then choose best forwarded voltage.
A well overdriven 6V, 20 Watt, 200 hours bulb will produce much brighter and whiter light than a less overerdriven 6V, 30Watt, 2000 hours bulb assuming both are powered by pair of IMR 26650.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Voltage and wattage of bulb don't tell you much unless you know designed life hour.
This way, you will know how hard you can overdrive it safely then choose best forwarded voltage.
A well overdriven 6V, 20 Watt, 200 hours bulb will produce much brighter and whiter light than a less overerdriven 6V, 30Watt, 2000 hours bulb assuming both are powered by pair of IMR 26650.

Thank you for the information regarding bulbs...Maybe that explains why the Osram Mag623 builds can be overdriven so much and don't go poof with 4 IMR cells.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are some random pictures of the build in question, which I have not done any resistance mods to it.

Here you can see the bulbs get stuck in the stock Maglite screw ring....but not the TAD bulb. That one fits perfect.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ran the (Ushio 30watt bulb 6V- 5.10A) for about 10 minutes continuous yesterday and the stock C size switch got stuck in the on position. I quickly removed the tailcap and after it cooled the switch is working again as usual. What this tells me is that the socket kit w/stock switch can't handle (40~watts at 8.4V) the Ushio bulb was producing.

Just ran the Tad Custom 6V bulb rated for 20watt (makes 30~watts at 8.4V). 30 minutes of continuous use and no issues whatsoever and it makes 3.45A after the 30 min run with 7.63V input. Very impressive.

-bigC

Last edited:

Tad CSW

Newly Enlightened

Hi BigC,

Thanks for the review.

I amended the G4 drop in socket with a larger hole so a larger G4 bulb can fit perfectly now, and there is more room to center / adjust the bulb.

(this is a larger Osram G4 bulb)

Tad%20Customs%20G4%20Socket%20for%20Maglite%206.jpg

Regarding the retaining ring from a new Maglite, simply use a round needle rasp to polish the inner hole. It is just a five-minute work.

Tad%20Customs%20G4%20Socket%20for%20Maglite%208.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you TAD for the info on the screw-on socket. I have concluded that your kit works great with the 10watt and the 20watt bulb you provided.

I used the 30watt bulb and it melted the internal plastic shield and the positive contact wouldn't work anymore hence the light would not light up.
Thankfully; I also have the TadCustoms solderable kit too:
http://tadcustoms.com/maglite-2C-3C-4C-G4-G5.3-G6.35-bi-pin-socket.htm

Here is what I concluded:
  • Solderable kit has much less resistance and bulbs that worked with the drop-in kit before now do not with the solder kit.
  • Ushio 30watt bulb instaflash:poof:
  • Phillips 5761 watt instaflash:poof:
  • Platinum 20watt bulb 6V instaflash :poof:

Tad Custom 20watt 6V- 3.6~3.7A, but now is 4.15~4.2V. You get a good 3~4 more watts of power using the solder kit vs. the drop-in kit with the TAD bulb at least.

bigC