Tad Customs E-series Bi-Pin Socket

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a 1AA MDC body from dhunley, and I really like it with the Elite head. I have a quad of AW IMR 14500 cells, but I would like the option to run AA Eneloops, with the caveat and understanding that brightness will not be impressive, though runtime will increase considerably. For this to work, I will need a voltage-matched lamp. I can probably work out the voltage and current necessary (but feel free to offer recommended V & C values), but what escapes me is what the bipin lamp size is named for a bipin lamp that fits properly in the Tad Customs E-socket.

Anyone know the industry name for this lamp size?

Also, it occurs to me I have been playing fast and loose since getting interested in and using incan. The study of LED and cell safety that came before (for me) does not precisely apply. I did find this helpful thread, but it is old, cells have changed somewhat since then.

If anyone has the ability to test Tad Customs socket and the lamps in the first post for accurate figures for current draw, and post them, I am certain we would all benefit from the effort and appreciate it, (even if Tad Customs gives us those figures).

edit:
In my correspondence with Tad, I have learned that his bipin lamps are made custom for his sockets, and are not standard size. We will have to use trial and error to find a standard bipin that fits perfectly.

But with an idea I believe bykfixer suggested elsewhere (but with a Mini Mag lamp, can't find that post), using a Brinkmann 1xAAA (Mag bipin, more or less) lamp I had, I stuffed it into the socket, and tried it out with an AA Duracell with Elite head and Malkov MDC 1AA body. The lamp is unfocused, filament sitting too far above the socket to be focused by the reflector, leaving a dark doughnut hole in the beam profile. So I trimmed about 1/8th inch off the bipins, and stuffed it back in the socket. And viola, focused beam with a tight hot spot. It looks just like an MN01 with really low charge on a CR123A, maybe 4-8lm, for a few minutes. idk if it is because it is a Brinkmann lamp, but it is easily twice as bright as a Solitaire lamp, for a time. The cell I used wasn't brand new. Anyway, this works, more or less, for purposes of low level incan for tired or dark adapted eyes, with expected longer runtime and brightness than a Solitaire. It will only get better if a lamp could be discovered that is optimized for Eneloop NiMH voltage and current, to give a steadier and brighter output. But it is very close to what I was looking for, which is... well, it's an incan fixed focus Mini Mag Shorty clicky, but solid as a rock. This should also work with LiFePO4 14500 and a Mini Mag LM2A001 lamp, or with LiMn 14500 with a Lamptronix LM2A001 lamp, for AAA Mini Mag brightness, or AA Mini Mag brightness, respectively. I doubt many others will recognize its virtue, but I really like it. :D

edit2:

######## w00t ##########

Be prepared to be unimpressed. Are you sitting down? About a week ago, I wrote Tad to request that he offer a bipin lamp for his E-socket that was optimized for a single Eneloop. Unfortunately, and I understand why (not enough interest), it is not meant to be. But I was premature.

Ages ago, it seems now, I remember asking somewhere around these parts what an MN01 would do on an AA cell, and I was pretty much shot down for asking such silliness. "Won't work, no light." idk if it was scout24's tests earlier today (yesterday?) that inspired me or not, but feels just like unconsious luck what I did and have discovered.

Just for the heck of it, expecting absolutely no light, bulb not firing, I put an Eneloop in my MDC 1AA with Tad Customs E-socket and A3712 lamp (optimized for 16340 4.2v... 80lm) and IT WORKS! It's about 1 or 2lm, as bright as an original krypton Solitaire. Tint is yellowy, but it is a still a beautiful sight. I usually wake in the evenings and I am up all night, but when I wake, my eyes are extremely sensitive. Even the stock xenon Solitaire I have found irritating, and planned on buying old stock of the krypton lamps. So, for the first half hour or so, I have resigned myself, to avoid pain and tearing, to using a light with a Cree X-PE Red LED until my eyes wake up a little, then move to progressively brighter incan lights, starting with Efest IMR10440 and Lamptronix in a Solitaire (which is initially too bright, actually), and eventually I work my way to Li-ion with A3712 for the ceiling bounce by about dawn.

Red can be a real drag, cannot distinguish any color, and that wavelength makes it difficult to focus. Now, I have a near ideal solution, and I had it all along.

I did not think I was going to be a customer for Tad Customs A3012 "coming soon" lamps for 1xCR123A, because the A3712 works fine with 1xCR123A even if it is not optimized for the cell, but less light was actually what I was after. But now I realize I will be purchasing some of those when available because I expect on an Eneloop, it might give me a couple more lumens over the A3712, which will be supurb. 4 lumens on a safe chemistry, and a lamp that won't quit, and I will be a very happy customer (already am).

In before vicv complains, yeah, YELLOW! Warm incan! It is BEST (short of going all red light) for super-sensitive waking eyes when the ambient light is pitch black.

Ok, I warned that no one would be impressed, no one is falling out of their chair on this news, unless they are laughing at me, but I think this is about as kick-*** as can be. :D

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Tad's bulbs have the same footprint as FM1499, or in other words, if the 1499 would fit Tad's M series sockets?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't even think of asking this question until ma tumba posted above. Do Tad's "A-series" bulbs have a T1.5 base (1.5mm pin-center to pin-center)?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Tad's bulbs have the same footprint as FM1499, or in other words, if the 1499 would fit Tad's M series sockets?

I didn't even think of asking this question until ma tumba posted above. Do Tad's "A-series" bulbs have a T1.5 base (1.5mm pin-center to pin-center)?

I spoke to Tad about the standard size of his lamps, and his lamps are custom made, are not specified by any standard size.

However, we can work around this absense of precise info.

First, anyone with digital calipers small enough to accurately measure the distance between the pins in T.customs lamps can tell us what that base would be if it was standard (my understanding is the standard "Gx.xx" base names are based on the distance of the bipins in mm).

Secondly, the same individual can measure the depth or length of the pins to the base of the lamp, but we need a third measurement to extend up to the location of the filiment, not just to the base, or from the top lip of the socket to the filiment, so that the filiment of a possible replacement lamp could be placed at the proper location once seated in the socket and reflector such that the beam will be focused.

IMO, the object here is not to undercut T.customs outrageous lamp prices (they are quite inexpensive, actually), but instead to discover lamps with different specifications that T.customs does not and probably will never offer, such as a .5A 1.2V lamp or some such craziness.

Beyond the "coming soon" 3012 lamp T.customs is advertising, I know Tad is looking for a few more lamps to offer. I suggested to him a possible 3007 lamp that would more closely match the output and runtime of an MN01. Because there are so many different compatible battery tubes, thus many different possible battery and voltage configurations for E-series, T.customs could probably offer 15 different lamps with different specifications and still not be comprehensive enough to cover all the desired possibilities.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A big cheers to Tad!

I think I made my last order for 2 E-sockets confusing by requesting 2 different lamps with each socket, and further confusing by adding 10x lamps different from the 2 different single lamps I ordered with each socket. Tad accidently sent me one E-socket and one A2-socket. When notified, he bid me to keep the A2-socket for my future possibilities, and he immediately sent out the extra E-socket, no extra charge, which arrived today, and also...

sent me a single as yet unavailable A3012 45lm lamp... and well marked for which chems to avoid when using it lest :poof:

I'll probably try out the new A3012 tonight with E1E and CR123A. A3012 is not yet available on his website, but expected soon.

W00t!! Thanks, Tad!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone willing to take beamshots comparing all the bulbs from Tad? That would be very helpful I think. For example is the difference between A3712 (80 lumens, 1.2A) and A3718 (140 lumens, 1.8A) that noticeable in real word (the brighter bulb draws 50% more - so I guess half the runtime)? I am thinking about using it with a Keeppower 16650 in E2E.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I have bought both the 1.2 and 1.8A bulbs (3.7V) - I tried to compare it by swapping the bulb in my SF E2E and I don't see much difference in real world, I guess the 1.2A will be better for general use - and with ~50% more runtime. I am using it with a Keeppower 2500 mAh, so maybe I could get 2 hours of 80 lumens on an E2E for free :naughty:. I need to buy a 16350 for the E1E and then I can compare both bulbs at the same time. I am planning to take some beamshots as long as I figure out how to manually set the exposure and other parameters on an iPhone 7.

Filip

Newly Enlightened
Could you please compare the A3712 and A3718 in your A2, provided you still own one? I am curious if the diference is negligible in A2 as well. It would be very helpful to me since I am on the fence of ordering a kit from Tad.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure - but probably on Wednesday soonest. I did a quick test after receiving the A2 bipin and the difference seemed neglible - well not worth justifying the 50% shorter runtime. I wish I had 2 A2s to compare them side-by-side :). I also have the Strion bi-pin kit, but Strion bulbs are difficult and expensive to get.
I wish the SF A2 would work with the Keeppower but the voltage is too low and it also won't fit :mecry:. So the only option is either primaries or IMR - with about 37 minute runtime. I can get much more runtime in the SF E2e - but without regulation or secondary LEDs...

troller_cpf

Enlightened
I also have both the 3712 and 3718 bulbs from Tad and I tried them both on my A2.
The 1.2A was already brighter than the stock A2 bulb, and the 1.8A didn't really show significant difference.
So I decided to leave the 1.2A bulb which should yield almost 80 minutes of regulated runtime on the a2 (assuming the cutoff is at 20% battery power).

I honestly think that the 3712 bulb is the best bulb for A2 / E2 !

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 1.2A bulb which should yield almost 80 minutes of regulated runtime on the a2 (assuming the cutoff is at 20% battery power).
At first I was a bit skeptical about your 80 minutes runtime claim - since the MA02 lamp has a 60 minute runtime (on primary CR123A). I have found one post that mentions a 1.55A draw for the MA02. So considering that the TAD bulb is 1.2 - it could actually have a longer runtime...:thinking: The 3712 may have a tighter spot and less spill - so it could appear brighter than the MA02? I don't have a MA02 right now to compare.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to share: a 2xAA minimag bulb fits this socket great and provides wonderfully tight beam when powered by a CR123a cell. So this gonna be the low lumen bulb for an e1e

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought about posting a new thread, but I suppose this belongs here. The thread title would have been "7212: wow!"

I have three Tad Customs E-sockets (had 4 but lost one with an E1E a few months ago, ouch), and one E-socket is about to be gifted with another E1E, so I'll need to replace that socket and really get a few more when I can for other lights used with Elite heads (been sharing the 3 sockets around 5 lights). I am independently destitute, so no telling when I can afford it.

I am living in a shack in the woods, and my most used lights these days are E1E and E2L AA w/ Elite head. During the day, and into the evening, I run the E1E with AW IMR16340, but at some point I switch to 3V primaries in the night. My eyes love it, no ouch. The E2L AA w/ Elite head is a close match to the output of the E1E with primary, and that Outdoorsman gets the most hours because I use it as a lamp for hours on end, 10 eneloops a night, more or less. I run the 3712 in both, though Tad sent me a single 3012 some time ago to demo, and I used it until it died; it is much nicer with primaries in E1E than the 3712, but I don't mind the 3712 w/ 3V or 2xAA. Still, I am anxiously waiting for the 3012 to become available.

Tad also sent me a 7212 to try, and I never used it. I had 6xAW IMR14500 cells when I moved in and was using them in Malkoff bodies with Elite heads, but I killed 2 cells. idky, but I kill 14500s when somehow I am able to not kill the 16340s (also just 6 of those). This morning before dawn, I decided to give the 7212 test drive, with the E2L AA with 2x14500s (only 2 of the 4 left had matching voltages).

Wow. Close range does it no justice. I didn't realize how bright that is until I went walking around. Beautiful morning, been cold and wet recently chilling my bones used to FL, now way north, and it is technically pretty warm ~57°.

What is it with incan that they are deceptively dim, until you shine it so the beam stretches out... a hundred yards of beam, and then you see holy moly, *that is bright!*

Compared to my brightest light, 500lm SC5w OP, the ZebraLight is way way brighter up close, but the Ourdoorsman w/ 7212 destroys those LED 500lm with any distance of 40 yards or more, and I know it isn't 500lm of incan. Tad's page lists 7212 factory rated at 80lm (edit: oops! 200lm, still tho), but that is probably with 7.2V, and my cells taken together were close to 8.36V. But how can that be brighter than 500lm??? It is nutty. Can't explain.

I want more E2L AA 'Outdoorsmen' and 14500s and 7212 lamps, might try for FiveMega 2x18650 host.

Anyway, tl;dr - 7212 recommended.

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
Thought about posting a new thread, but I suppose this belongs here. The thread title would have been "7212: wow!"

I have three Tad Customs E-sockets (had 4 but lost one with an E1E a few months ago, ouch), and one E-socket is about to be gifted with another E1E, so I'll need to replace that socket and really get a few more when I can for other lights used with Elite heads (been sharing the 3 sockets around 5 lights). I am independently destitute, so no telling when I can afford it.

I am living in a shack in the woods, and my most used lights these days are E1E and E2L AA w/ Elite head. During the day, and into the evening, I run the E1E with AW IMR16340, but at some point I switch to 3V primaries in the night. My eyes love it, no ouch. The E2L AA w/ Elite head is a close match to the output of the E1E with primary, and that Outdoorsman gets the most hours because I use it as a lamp for hours on end, 10 eneloops a night, more or less. I run the 3712 in both, though Tad sent me a single 3012 some time ago to demo, and I used it until it died; it is much nicer with primaries in E1E than the 3712, but I don't mind the 3712 w/ 3V or 2xAA. Still, I am anxiously waiting for the 3012 to become available.

Tad also sent me a 7212 to try, and I never used it. I had 6xAW IMR14500 cells when I moved in and was using them in Malkoff bodies with Elite heads, but I killed 2 cells. idky, but I kill 14500s when somehow I am able to not kill the 16340s (also just 6 of those). This morning before dawn, I decided to give the 7212 test drive, with the E2L AA with 2x14500s (only 2 of the 4 left had matching voltages).

Wow. Close range does it no justice. I didn't realize how bright that is until I went walking around. Beautiful morning, been cold and wet recently chilling my bones used to FL, now way north, and it is technically pretty warm ~57°.

What is it with incan that they are deceptively dim, until you shine it so the beam stretches out... a hundred yards of beam, and then you see holy moly, *that is bright!*

Compared to my brightest light, 500lm SC5w OP, the ZebraLight is way way brighter up close, but the Ourdoorsman w/ 7212 destroys those LED 500lm with any distance of 40 yards or more, and I know it isn't 500lm of incan. Tad's page lists 7212 factory rated at 80lm, but that is probably with 7.2V, and my cells taken together were close to 8.36V. But how can that be brighter than 500lm??? It is nutty. Can't explain.

I want more E2L AA 'Outdoorsmen' and 14500s and 7212 lamps, might try for FiveMega 2x18650 host.

Anyway, tl;dr - 7212 recommended.

If you don't want to kill the li-ion / IMR, try some Lifepo4 such as Soshine unprotected 14500 or 16340, with the new bulb A6010.
Lifepo4 is hard to be killed even if it is over discharged to 0.1V. Also, Lifepo4 is as safe as AA batteries!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't want to kill the li-ion / IMR, try some Lifepo4 such as Soshine unprotected 14500 or 16340, with the new bulb A6010.
Lifepo4 is hard to be killed even if it is over discharged to 0.1V. Also, Lifepo4 is as safe as AA batteries!

Good idea, they are forgiving, would be worth the loss of capacity. I do have a couple quads of 10440 LifePO4 for my Soli w/ MiniMag lamps... the lower voltage doesn't blow the MiniMag lamps like Efest IMR10440 (though I still have a stash of lamps that can handle the IMR, seem to last forever). LiFePO4 cost an arm and a leg to ship from China, which is really the only major issue with LiFePO4. Any domestic source for LiFePO4 AA/14500?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see Lowe's sells Duracell 14430 LifePO4 cells. Spacer needed to fit an AA/14500 tube? Yes, that is 4/5AA size. ><

Also found this Tenergy LiFePO4 AA quad, but I see spec for max continuous discharge is 1C. Can that safely drive incan, 1200mA? I'm already aware Tenergy's 16340 LiFePO4 cannot handle incan.

These 500mAh Exell intrigue me, for domestic ship, and unlike most unrecognized LiFePO4 AA labels, the reasonably honest capacity claim. No discharge specs.

My understanding is LiFePO4 is a popular consumer chem in Chinese markets. Anyone know what labels/manufacturers are most popular for 3.2V AA there?

Also considering (all this is for Malkoff AA body w/ Elite head) going with multiple cell NiMH for maximum safety... but the capacity is crushed (compared to AA NiMH, about the same or less than the IFR14500 above). :(

Last edited: