Taint no justice in this world...(Light Story)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, it's sometimes easy to miss the bigger picture. That's what I did. Uncle Sam won't issue the average soldier in the thick of it a decent torch such as the SF G2 which is used for low-light training. But a supply troop gets issued Mil-Spec Kroma models??

Please don't misunderstand, I'm sure the young woman is very professional in her job duties. But it's clear she doesn't even remotely need a flashlight costing over $400. Meanwhile, regular grunts don't even get to keep the $36 G2 that each is given during training. They have to hand them back! And if they're lucky, they get a nice angle-head light that doesn't even come close to the output and U.I. of a G2.

Sometimes they get nothing. I've sent over care packages that included flashlights. I wish I could find more Rayovac 3watt 2AA Sportsman Xtreme models. LED, output the same as a SureFire G2L model, same U.I. as a G2, but runs on 2AA cells. (That way, when they're forced to give back the G2 models, they can just use what is basically a 2AA version in all the important ways of the light they just trained with.)

I must be missing something. Tell me that there's more to this than a supply troop being issued $400+ lights that they'll never need. Was there a bigger supply of Kroma models that will soon be issued to specialized troops? Or were the kromas issued to the supply troop only?

No Mono...that's the system...is it broke...you bet. Is there anything anyone can do...not really. That's one of the perks of working supply. But, she doesn't get the pleasure of making a difference in some-one's life (saving yer buddies life, or being out-side the wire helping injured kids, or giving them candy). When the "Steel Rain" starts falling, I get to see the results of my work on CNN. Whether it's taking out some bad-guys or having the "ground pounders" saying "Thanks for making weapons that work...you really saved our tails".

Ask anyone prior service, and they'll tell ya...the supply guys can get just about anything. Last time I was here, I worked night shift in a place that is VERY dark most of the time with littleto no lighting. Did I even get issued a basic flashlight? Nope. Nor did any of the other guys. SO I had my wife pick up some dorcy 3xAAA's and send them for the rest of the guys. Sometimes we gotta take care of our own, unfortunately.

I don't think she was "issued" it per-se either...I'm guessing she was given it from somebody else that was for some reason or another.

Like I said...Taint no justice in this world...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No Mono...that's the system...is it broke...you bet. Is there anything anyone can do...not really. That's one of the perks of working supply. But, she doesn't get the pleasure of making a difference in some-one's life (saving yer buddies life, or being out-side the wire helping injured kids, or giving them candy). When the "Steel Rain" starts falling, I get to see the results of my work on CNN. Whether it's taking out some bad-guys or having the "ground pounders" saying "Thanks for making weapons that work...you really saved our tails".

Ask anyone prior service, and they'll tell ya...the supply guys can get just about anything. Last time I was here, I worked night shift in a place that is VERY dark most of the time with littleto no lighting. Did I even get issued a basic flashlight? Nope. Nor did any of the other guys. SO I had my wife pick up some dorcy 3xAAA's and send them for the rest of the guys. Sometimes we gotta take care of our own, unfortunately.

I don't think she was "issued" it per-se either...I'm guessing she was given it from somebody else that was for some reason or another.

Like I said...Taint no justice in this world...

I appreciate the honest response, and the clarification.

There is one thing I can do . . . find a supply of those 2AA ROV models for future care packages. Not much, but it's something.

Xacto

Enlightened
Nope...I'm guessing a male co-worker talked her out of it...it really made no sense to me...why she would want to keep a light with red/blue/YG/IR instead of one that had 176hr runtime, up to 100 lumens for self defense (I did mention that to her...)

So much for comradeship amongst men. ;)
Too bad, since that Kroma is really a nice light, even though I have no use for the IR setting, it is nonetheless fun to know that its available.^

I wonder how she would react if you would tell her about our reaction.
Cheers
Thorsten