• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Tana Light Engines for McGizmo lights (Haiku, Mule) and modding service...

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll jump in since Tana is sleeping and i'm beeing in the night shift (near Tana).
In order to get Super LE you DON'T have to send the head. Tana will make you one by your preference. When you receive it, remove the old LE from the head (Aleph, Haiku, Mule, Mahi, Sundrop or Makai) and install Super LE. That's it.
You can do with old LE whatever you like.

When it comes to triples and quads then it's essential to send the Head because it will be striped off components and converted by Tana's magic to a rocket you choose (depends on the head).
I hope i explained it right[emoji51]

Sent from Tapatalk

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
If so, does the new Tana LE still use the old reflector or come with a new different reflector, like a P60 drop-in would.
The LE does not come with a new reflector but uses the one from yor light.

I have several triples and a quad, all Nichias, in my 18650 and 1835 lights, but not in my smaller lights, which the Haiku would be.
The Haiku might not be smaller than your 18350 lights. Most likely thinner (at least in some parts of the body) but not necessarily smaller. I have a few triple lights that are smaller than my Haikus, BOSS 35, Okluma DC1, Reylight Gemini I and Krystal (which is a quad).

Last edited:

stellar canuck

Newly Enlightened
Eric242 and id30209,

Thanks for your replies. You have explained what I was trying to understand. Regarding the length, I understand that will depend on the bodies chosen. I have been guessing that with an AA body, its about as long and thin as a Malkoff MDC. With a 123 body it would be shorter, but thicker body, and with a double 123 body, to hold a 16650, about as long as my Malkoff MD2, but thinner body. Does this sound right?

Is the Haiku head about the size that a P60 drop in fits, ~1.25", or is it smaller, more like the head on an MDC, if you are familiar with that light? Finally, if you are not too tired answering questions, do you happen to know the size of the Mahi head? Thanks again.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Haiku head is about 35mm long x 24mm diameter and the Mahi about 41mm long x 34mm diameter (measured with a ruler since I don´t own a caliper).

stellar canuck

Newly Enlightened
Eric242,

Thank you so much for going to the trouble to measure your heads. This is exactly what I need to know to give me a sense of how big they are. How do you like the Mahi beam compared to the Haiku?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for jumping in... Tragedy struck us the whole December, I was in isolation for 14 days due to virus exposure... now getting back on track...

Anyone intrested in details on mods, best write to my email: [email protected]

mkphc

Newly Enlightened
Hi new to mcgizmo, just got a used Hakui, not sure of what I have
I'm curious if a super LE would be an improvement?
thanks in advance

scout24

Flashaholic
Welcome to the world of the Haiku from a fellow Pennsylvanian! Tana's LE allows for hand picking your emitter and having flexibility to program levels if you don't have the HIVE driver from Don. A photo of your reflector, and both sides of the L.E. "can" in your Haiku would go a long way towards documenting what you have now. Either posted here, or via e-mail to Tana.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Health first, glad you are doing ok!

Thanks, B... now that nightmare is behind us, time to start Tana Workshop gears full speed...

That means more time to mod lights right :naughty:

email sent.

Yes... two A2's on the bench as we "type" to be turned into 3500 lumen Quads and two Haiku heads to be turned into TripLEDs with H17F drivers... ;)

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi new to mcgizmo, just got a used Hakui, not sure of what I have
I'm curious if a super LE would be an improvement?
thanks in advance

Thanks scout24 for help...

You'd see improvement in both output (800-1000 lumens depending on LED) and fully programmable H17F driver with thermal regulation... all you need is capable li-ion cell (like IMR 16340 cell in 123 battery pak) and you'll love the new EDC for years to come...

mkphc

Newly Enlightened
How much different would the beam be?
Can you show comparison beam shots to help narrow down the emitter choices?
sorry I just want to know more about it
also what's the cost

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much different would the beam be?
Can you show comparison beam shots to help narrow down the emitter choices?
sorry I just want to know more about it
also what's the cost

Beam is the same just more output so more throw... price is $140...

mkphc

Newly Enlightened
6777434C-68D2-49CF-A5F9-A82A3D4F9541.jpgView attachment 1318453218B77-F9D5-4445-A3F8-455D6BFD56DB.jpg

Last edited:

mkphc

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what emitter I have in this hakiu, and I love the color, but would like a 30-50% larger hotspot, is there a way to have the same color but a different led to have a larger hotspot in this upgrade?

atbat82

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a use Haiku with the Tana engine (and a lovely 219c). I'm at a complete loss as to how to program this thing. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere? Or am I just dumb?

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd see improvement in both output (800-1000 lumens depending on LED) and fully programmable H17F driver with thermal regulation... all you need is capable li-ion cell (like IMR 16340 cell in 123 battery pak) and you'll love the new EDC for years to come...

Hey Tana,

Which LED option would get me to the 1000 lumen range ?
My Haiku is currently sporting an Osram pill from Don.

Thanks!