Target carries Eddie Bauer LED lights

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I just went to Target tonight and found that they carry a selection of Eddie Bauer LED Lights in their Sporting Goods Dept in the Camping gadget section. One LED light was as thin as an Ink Pen Refill and a couple of inches long. Another was a Pen light, etc...all were suprisingly bright, much more than my photon.

Interesting selection and good logo brand for gifts for gadgety friends that love lights like we do.

Happy hunting!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Save your money - that line of LEDs are junk.

grin.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
Tanks for the heads up on the Eddie Bauer LED lights. I figured that Target would put them on sale before Christmas, and the smaller one (can't remember the price, that uses the button LR44's) might make a decent gift for a non flashaholic. But I'd rather spend a little more and get a good light. I was thinking maybe a turquoise CMG Infinity. The turquoise ones put out enough light to be reasonably useful, and I can't give a non flashaholic a Photon (batteries too expensive, and hard to replace) And the Arc-AAA's are a bit too expensive for the people I had in mind for the Eddie Bauer LED lights.
Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd like to keep it around $10 to $12. Photons would be perfect, except for the inevitable complaints down the road about the batteries. These are people who also thought the Mini Maglights I paid $16 for when they first came out weren't anything to get excited about. It took me 3 months to get 4 of them, too. But they still have them.....
wink.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlashKing:
Save your money - that line of LEDs are junk.

grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It appears that Flashking and Flashlightguy are more interested in status symbols than the flashlights. I can only speak for the 3N battery unit, but I've been using it for almost two months. I've noticed no problem with it. It's construction, and lighting characteristics are competitive with my more expensive "look what I got" lights.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I bought a few and they are fine with me. Of course, you get what you pay for and the ARC AAA is double the price of the Eddie Bauer LED's. I thought I would suggest an inexpensive stocking stuffer for around $10.

Sorry to offend anyone for suggesting such "Cheap" lights. Next time, I'll suggest the SF M6
grin.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the super thin one...looks nice. Does anyone know what batt it uses and if they are replacable?

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flexmodem:
I bought a few and they are fine with me. Of course, you get what you pay for and the ARC AAA is double the price of the Eddie Bauer LED's. I thought I would suggest an inexpensive stocking stuffer for around $10.

Sorry to offend anyone for suggesting such "Cheap" lights. Next time, I'll suggest the SF M6
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no apology needed; you did us a service. Its unfortunate that sometimes one's hobby degenerates into status icons instead of the love of the hobby.

The Eddie Bauer 3 N cell light is inexpensive compared to the "icons", but not cheap by any means. I think mine costs somewhere around 12 or 13 dollars, which is still more expensive than things like a AA Mini-mag, or solitaire. Its constructed of aluminum and about the same length as Streamlight Baton. My Baton was a lot more expensive, and doesn't put out near the light of my Eddie Bauer. The Eddie Bauer light has an easy to use momentary switch if pressed lightly, or constant on if pressed a little more deliberately. Its outside dimensions are a little thinner than the Baton, but the inside dimensions are about the same. It holds the 3 N cells reasonably secure, unlike my more expensive LEDtronics 3N cell light. My LEDtronics light has dimensions that were apparently designed for AA batteries, but evidently switched to 3N use without regard to redesign. The three little N batteries flop around excessively in the little "status" symbol of a light.

The construction is solid, unlike my much more expensive PAL light. I've only bought one PAL light, even though they continue to design new features into it. Its still just a rubber coated plastic flashlight that is so poorly designed that uneven pressure applied to the two halves is enough to cause intermittent contact, and cause to blink off and lose its setting. An inspection of the thin plastic housing indicates a slight crack in the front section, which I would suspect is very common, given the poor engineering consideration given to the stress involved in attaching and removing the snap connectors of a 9V battery. But, its a status symbol and is priced as one; it doesn't have to be quality.

The LED in the Eddie Bauer is recessed and protected by the aluminum housing of the body, making use of the natural reflective properties of the aluminum to assist in directing its beam, unlike my more expensive Photons, and Streamlight Stylus. It outshines them too.

Please Flexmodem, any light you see that might even interest us a little, let us know. We love flashlights. Don't let expressions from a few that have come to hate some flashlights influence you.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken B:
I saw the super thin one...looks nice. Does anyone know what batt it uses and if they are replacable?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was unable to tell from its package what battery. It says it used a "lithium tube". If not for the fact that it's a red LED, I would have purchased one just to find out.

aso

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken B:
I saw the super thin one...looks nice. Does anyone know what batt it uses and if they are replacable?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It uses a 3V lithium pin cell battery. The only place that I could find that sells them is Digi-Key, for about $4 a pop.

Empath

Flashaholic
The Eddie Bauer packaging does mention that they are distributed by Coast Cutlery. That agrees with the info at the site you refrenced. Good job, Flexmodem.
cool.gif
smile.gif

napalm-2002

Enlightened
buy a stylus from streamlight.shop around and you'll find anywhere from 12-16$ a pop get a white or green in my opinion.i own one of every color.the only one id stay away from is the orange.too dim.

shop around for the arc-aaa and you'll find 19.99 not bad for a good light.

you cant go wrong with either.the stylus takes an aaaa batt yes you read that correct aaaa.obviously the arc-aaa takes an aaa batt.cheap cheap batts.

goodluck
smile.gif

arab

Enlightened
Aso said
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> It uses a 3V lithium pin cell battery. The only place that I could find that sells them is Digi-Key, for about $4 a pop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took a look at Page 722 of Digikey's catalogue and summarised the spec here:
Type.(V)(mAh)(Dia. x H (mm)
Pin.....3....25....4.2 x 25.9
Pin.....3....50....4.2 x 35.9
If you look closely, you will see that the 2 batteries differ in their capacity and height. One is 50mAh and 35.9 mm, the other 25mAh and 25.9.
shocked.gif

Does anybody know which one is suitable?
confused.gif

arab

Enlightened
Me again,

I have just discovered the actual name of the of the manufacturer of these lights, so I emailed them at '[email protected]' and asked them the above question.

Watch this space ...

aso

Enlightened
Arab

The one that comes with the light is the 50mAh battery, size BR435

arab

Enlightened
How would you rate the small light - Certainly the gadget value is very high, but is it useful? What type of switch does it have - momentary or Constant on.

aso

Enlightened
it puts out enough to light to walk around the house at night, thats about it. The switch is a twist on/off type at the tail end.

Latest posts