Task light definition?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is meant by the term "task light?" The term is used often, but I've not actually seen the phrase defined. I looked in the CPF Acronyms/Terminology post.

I think of a task light as a light which is used to provide illumination while performing some type of work, chore, project, etc. This contrasts with a light used for defense, general background illumination (e.g., lantern, table or overhead lamp), or a light used merely to light a path for walking around.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A "Task" can be anything. Example...I am going attempt the task of going to the bathroom in the dark using my flashlight.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Task

1. A piece of work assigned or done as part of one's duties.
2. A difficult or tedious undertaking.
3. A function to be performed; an objective.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Most of us consider a task light the kind of light that you'd use to light up an area where you were doing something (A task). A headlamp is a common application to this end for example, as they put light where your head is pointing, etc....which is assumed to be where your eyes need to see, because that's what you are working on, and so forth.

:D

A flashlight can of course do this too, typically with a more floody beam to work better. If the task requires two hands, the flashlight needs to be able to be situated so as to point in the general direction of the work, or, at something that bounces the light onto what you are doing, etc.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Task light = a light suitable to conduct/perform a task :D

For me a task orientated light must be flexible in it's application, for example the Streamlight task lights have redundant emitter design, ie. 5mm for low output & close up work (or alternative light source ie. coloured) and a higher output main emitter (incandescent in the older versions), by this definition you could also consider the A2 Aviator a task oriented light albeit high end :D

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one named that as well by Phonton Fanatic, one of cpf's custom builders. It has a section in the bottom for attaching to a flexible arm or other things.