Technical Expertise

dbleznak

Enlightened
Recently, I lost my Oakley X-Metal X-Squared sunglasses. To my chagrin, I found out that Oakley closed their X-Metal plant and has scrapped the entire X-Metal product line. I joined Oakley Forums (CPF for Oakley enthusiast) They have many modders doing ano work, custom lens fabrication, ect,ect. These guys on the Oakley forum are convinced that the technical skill needed to fabricate custom sunglass frames (that look like the Juliets or Pennys) is so much harder then making a custom light!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? Help me out guys!!!

yazovyet

Enlightened
I think I'd agree with them somewhat. To make glasses I think you'd need a press and a pattern for the rims. I suppose you could cut it from a sheet by hand and bend by hand but that's a lot of work and requires bending and filing down to shape them. I suppose that isn't too technical it just needs a lot of accuracy/precision to get it to look like what you're going for. Ano sounds pretty easy. But the real hard part sounds like making the lens. I'd be surprised if people are making prescription lenses with all the nice coatings in their basements mostly due to what sort of machines I think you'd need. I suppose it depends on how custom a light. Making a driver on you're own without some one saying 'do this' and then programming that driver yourself can required a fairly large amount of knowledge; getting the correct components, putting them on a pcb, getting the traces on the pcb correct, programming the micro controller, machining the host out of a block of aluminum. Doing the whole thing from scratch I suppose flashlights might be harder/require more knowledge but if you're just putting an LED, 7135 driver, and heat sink in a mag light then it isn't very hard.

Then again, I have a warped perspective because I don't think any of this is very hard once you're taught how to do it. I look at a lot of it as needing the machines to do it and that those machines can be very costly.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
yazovyet - As one who has designed and built the PCB, programmed the driver, and machined the host out of aluminum, I think I'd agree with you - it may well require more knowledge or at least more different kinds of knowledge, but given that I was going for a workhorse, not a showpiece, it's probably easier.

I accede that those who build the gorgeous showpiece lights might disagree.

But does "hard" mean "requires a high level of technical skill"? I think maybe that's two different things, but I'm not sure.

dbleznak

Enlightened
Thanks for your input guys!! The folks over at Oakley Forum are not nearly as cool or knowledgable as the crew here at CPF. 👍👏