TEKNA Splash-Lite

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Splash-lite offered at $14.95 in that link is the incandescent model.I believe it is the same as the LED model (I don't have one to compare) except for the bulb. The LED Splash -Lites that I purchased appear to be old stock using the (thanks to carrot) SSC P4. The current LED Splash-lites ($29.95) apparently are using the CREE XP-C according to the product info. If you just want spare parts I think the incan model will work for you unless you need the LED drop-in itself which is available at $13.95.

nightshade

Enlightened
Thread necro for sure. But, after many requests, Tektite has rereleased the venerable Splash -Lite in the original colors. The release covers both the incandescent and led variations.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If they would re release the 1AA version in LED I think there could be some takers for it.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Thread necro for sure. But, after many requests, Tektite has rereleased the venerable Splash -Lite in the original colors. The release covers both the incandescent and led variations.

Do you know where to buy other than directly from them? Amazon only has black.

google yielded nothing

nightshade

Enlightened
If they would re release the 1AA version in LED I think there could be some takers for it.

Yes! There is a chap on Etsy that sells a nice , warm white , 222 led bulb. Working voltage is 1.2 to 3 VDC. Really gives new life to the design, without breaking the bank or spending lots of time modding. He also sells red & yellow 222 led replacement bulbs.

Do you know where to buy other than directly from them? Amazon only has black.

google yielded nothing

Unfortunately, not at this time. I ordered a half dozen of each available color ( Christmas gifts)directly from Tektite to save on shipping.

I like the translucent versions; leveraging one of the advantages that plastic has over aluminum. :thumbsup:
Yes! Also good for identification of different lamp selections, etc. I've added a red led to the red bodied one, for example.

Hmmm...hitting the company website it appears they upped the output quite a bit which could be a mixed bag. The appeal of the original was the incredible runtime, which now is down to 10 hours. Admittedly still pretty good but not extreme. I'll just have to try one to see!

nightshade

Enlightened
Sweet thread resurrection! I will have to look for the new colors, thanks! After all this time I still find them useful for that limited range of things in my OP.

Thanks! Glad to hear the old design still has some users out there. They are great accessories for floating keychains.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hmmm...hitting the company website it appears they upped the output quite a bit which could be a mixed bag. The appeal of the original was the incredible runtime, which now is down to 10 hours. Admittedly still pretty good but not extreme. I'll just have to try one to see!
40 lumens, 10+ hours; would be curious to see if that was a flat regulated portion, then declining output after that ?
Personally, I /love/ 40 lumens - I still recall the "glory alleluia's" in the Malkoff subforum when we got our 'M61N 4L' GB deliveries.

I haven't looked into output & runtimes recently for 1xCR123, is that good or just reasonable these days ?

Edit: Honestly; the more I think about these, the more I realize how great they would be for lightweight 'stash lights' here&there in outdoors gear.
Am totally cool with the 1xCR123 fuel source, functioning as high-capacity backup lighting.

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened

Agreed, I'm using a replacement WW 222 LED bulb from Etsy. Its a decent vampire, runs down to about .09 vdc and runtimes are well over 20 hrs on a fresh cell. Output is about 20-25 lumens. Sellers moniker, IIRC, is : back2yesterday.

nightshade

Enlightened
40 lumens, 10+ hours; would be curious to see if that was a flat regulated portion, then declining output after that ?
Personally, I /love/ 40 lumens - I still recall the "glory alleluia's" in the Malkoff subforum when we got our '4L' GB deliveries.

I haven't looked into output & runtimes recently for 1xCR123, is that good or just reasonable these days ?

Edit: Honestly; the more I think about these, the more I realize how great they would be for lightweight 'stash lights' here&there in outdoors gear.
Am totally cool with the 1xCR123 fuel source, functioning as high-capacity backup lighting.

Back in the day, many of us enlisted folk really liked this light as a backup. We simply couldn't afford to run them as a primary light. Primary CR123 was too expensive at the time. A few of us carried the single or double AA versions.

Personally, I /love/ 40 lumens - I still recall the "glory alleluia's" in the Malkoff subforum when we got our '4L' GB deliveries.

I was just messing with one today! It's in a wilderness PSK that I tuck into my hiking pack. Probably I'm slightly out of date right now as far as knowing what's SotA; I've purchased a few newer Chinese lights from Olight and Lumintop but mostly have been cruising on the Elzetta and Malkoff lights that are a few years old now. Occasionally I want a light with high output but for the most part, tint, beam pattern and runtime are more important for my uses. If I'm out on a backpacking trip my use of a light is going to be for finding the latrine, cooking in the dark, gathering firewood late at night, etc., none of which generally require a ton of light. It's good to have a thrower to investigate those 'bumps in the night' or to illuminate or ID a critter in the dark. But mostly it's really inconvenient to have your light die on you when you're 200 yards from camp using the latrine or gathering enough wood to get through the night.

So yeah, 40 lumens can indeed be glorious!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My primary-use lights are all running rechargeables, so having CR123's in these def. wouldn't concern me - and their weight is killer compared to my aluminum 1xCR123 & 1x18650 lights.

Thanks for the thread bump to get these on my radar; I am -> <- this close to ordering a couple clear/red ones for myself as well as for an outdoors friend (to get the $90+ free shipping, lol).

How is their beam quality with the XP-C in these ? I confess that's really important to me.

Last edited:
In my old ones the beam pattern is poor. The tint is very blue and there's quite a dark ring in the middle. I expect they're made to find items in the bottom of your duffle bag or change a tire. Not pretty at all, just something that will cast light when you need it. Maybe I can get a pic or two.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
In my old ones the beam pattern is poor. The tint is very blue and there's quite a dark ring in the middle. [...]
That blue tint was typical for the older SSC P4; I would have higher hopes for the newer Cree.
But would still be interested in pics of the business end and/or beamshots. :)

nightshade

Enlightened
Kestrel said:
How is their beam quality with the XP-C in these ? I confess that's really important to me.

I don't own any of the XP-C emitters, but beam quality is of mediocre quality at best :)
That's part of it's odd allure for me, I've got a long history with this line going back to the 80's. Even after long storage in temperature extremes, I know when I twist the bezel and get that iconic ringy beam , I've got a steady source of light for many hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Well, am almost never a 'first-adopter', but here I am. :)
Just ordered four of the LED versions in their translucent red color (two for a friend).
Will most certainly update this thread with first impressions & a comparison beamshot or two, when they arrive.

Edit: Thank you Rob & nightshade for the testimonials. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Here's a couple of the beam shots of my original 3 year old versions:

UCHZ4x1.jpg

lvs5xjE.jpg

As you can see the color and pattern are poor. To me this is a utility light, not something you will carry for the love of it! I keep them in survival kits for hiking & camping- they've held up pretty well to knocks and bumps, they seem waterproof and the battery life is great. In a situation where I'm stuck out on a hike and have to stay an unplanned overnight even a crummy looking beam will let me gather firewood or set up a shelter.

Last edited: