Telephony..question on Turtlelite2

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
are you still as enamored with it as described in your review? I am looking for a general use in house/ outdoor "utility" light with decent flood coverage. I like the switching, apparent ruggedness, and clunky design. I just put an order in for one and I wanted a long term user report to reassure the wisdom of my choice..other T2 users please pipe up. ( The Surge or/and SL6 are my current lights for outdoor work when I need brightness past 20') TIA

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoff in Philly:
are you still as enamored with it as described in your review?
TIA
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't had a Turtlelite II in about a year. Mine got smashed in an earthquake last February and I have not yet had it replaced. At the time I have a Turtle II body (the yellow version), but no Turtle II bulb to go in it.

Spork

Enlightened
I used to have one also. it took ledcorp forever to ship my order. its an ok flashlight but you can get much better for that price. is it still like 28 dollars? my princeton tec attitude was under 20 dollars and its brighter than the turtle 2. if you want a good cheapie led flashlight you could pickup a brinkman long life.

StuU

Enlightened
I made my own version of the Turtlelite with 3 leds and it is my most used flashlight. Lots of light with 3 leds at 25ma. Love it.

Make your own by going to Walmart and buying a Dorcy Cool Blue led flashlight for $7.94. This is the same flashlight body as the Turtlelite. Take out the single led PR bulb and put this in your 4D Maglite(works great). Then either build yourself or buy from the Ledlite a 3 led PR bulb and insert it in the Dorcy body. You're done!

Actually, my next project may be to use that same Dorcy body and figure a way to wire up 4 or 5 leds into it.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use mine a lot despite having brighter LED lights simply for the convenience of having a quick on/off click switch rather then fumbling with the head. Examples of my use are checking the caller ID or thermostat settings in dark or dimly lit rooms. It is only two LEDs though and it's limited in brightness by that fact. If you have other LED lights to compare it to then you can get a feeling for what I mean. No LED lights will come remotely close to your Surge or SL6 but the Turtlelite 2 is dimmer then a lot of the multi-LED lights out there simply because it is only two LEDs. If this is your first LED light then I think you will find it quite dim. On a plus side though, the reflector does a good job of merging the two LED beams so it appears as one uniform beam and the batteries will last for oodles of hours, I'm willing to bet at least 50. When I bought mine over a year ago, the price was well above $30 if I recall. If this is still the case, then you can get better LED lights for the same and a lot less money.

Bottom line is I like it and still use it but it wouldn't be my choice for a first LED light. If you like the idea of a regular switch and it doesn't have to be real small then I think a 3C Lightwave 3000 (7 LED) would be better choice for not much more money. If you don't mind twisting the head of the light to enable it's operation, then there are several brighter choices for less money. Personally, if you can handle a five hour battery life (at bright settings, then still useful light) and don't mind using CR123 batteries (unusual but reasonably priced on the internet) then I think an Inova X5 would be the perfect compliment to your Surge and SL6.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Craig; Drag man, condolences on your quake loss.
Geepondy; The T2 isn't quite my first led..I use my Pal, photons, Ledcorp box lite frequently. It sounds like the way you use your T2 is just what I'm thinking for my use...a bang around source of long lasting low light.
I think the perfect compliment for my Surge and SL6 is not the T2, not the Innova as you sugest, but is... in all its waited-for glory, the ARC LS!