Tell me a simple mod for my mag 2D today!

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't remember some of the quick and dirty mag mods i see all the time here, and i can't use the search worth a shite, But i got plenty of hardware stores around me, and lot's of 123's, and AA's etc. Pick me some quick, easy project I can do today to make this new 2D mag I got put out some REAL light! ringraziarla! VDG

EDIT:
Davindra mentioned the one I was thinking of.
anyone know what diameter pvc or hose would be best? G

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tell me something to do with my mag 2D today!

[Nelson Muntz] Huck 'em at Cars! [/Nelson Muntz]

Hmmm. Maybe you could get a piece of hose and stick a bunch of 123 cells in there or something? Hotwire's not really my best mod. .

davidra

Enlightened

Boy.....that thread title is really tempting, but I'll be nice.....

Assuming the 2c and 2D are the same length, hose or PVC wrapped with electrical tape, 3X123 and a KPR112 from Radio Shack is about as quick as you can get.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
davidra said:
Boy.....that thread title is really tempting, but I'll be nice.....

Assuming the 2c and 2D are the same length, hose or PVC wrapped with electrical tape, 3X123 and a KPR112 from Radio Shack is about as quick as you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy at least put a smilie on that!

thanks, I was thinking of that but wasn't sure. how
much brighter do you think that make's it's roughly? VDG

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the stock 2D is 18 lumens, and the 3x123 and KPR112 is something like 200 lumens.

It is a sick mod!

Bob

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
I think the stock 2D is 18 lumens, and the 3x123 and KPR112 is something like 200 lumens.

It is a sick mod!

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif anyone yet have an idea on diameter of the PVC/hose? I'm like guy's with direction's, I hate walking into a hardware store with a "project" to try and fit stuff togather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif VDG

teststrips

Enlightened

Stealing the info from MR Bulk's site - build your own space needle article
http://darkgear.com/mrbulk/sn2build.htm
looks like 5/8' ID rubber automotive heater hose is what you want for a C cell light

but darn you with a D cell light
Try hereor here
2nd link has some good info

as far as future searching goes, use google and add site:candlepowerforums.com The search feature of this site always throws me for a loop, so I just take the extra 2 seconds to add the "site:candlepowerforums.com" string to my google searches

davidra

Enlightened

Man....I think it's a half inch. Just take a 123 with you. It will fit nicely inside PVC or pipe. Buy a couple of feet (costs at least a buck or two), cut it so it just fits into the body with a little battery sticking out on each end, and then just wrap electrical tape around near the top and bottom until it's thick enough to keep the tube from rattling in the body. If you use hose you might find some thick enough, but I like using the PVC. If you like it, and you will, order some GH24 bulbs from the UK (they take Paypal) and you'll get a better beam and longer bulb life. My favorite mod, like it better than my Mag 85 because of the 2C form factor, but the 2D will be fine.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you forum brother's!!! am off to do the deed....... will post tonite on how it went. Yeah I do forget to do the google search, I definately will next time. CPF SE will just about force a stroke on the simplest of search's! VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK quick help on a few issue's. It's working and it BRiGHT!!!! problem 1) is i had to put a piece of aluminum foil to get contact. 2) well,, that's it really! I cut more hose off then i should have needed to, but i didn't find
a right fitting PVC so i went with one of teststrips pages
were a piece of clear tubing is used in a 1 inch PVC.
I may got to lowes for a better fit PVC then the around the corner store.

let me know some idea's. I am having fun though! VDG

NetMage

Enlightened

you needed a 3/4 CPVC (hot and cold) pipe

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
NetMage said:
you needed a 3/4 CPVC (hot and cold) pipe

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah! Ok I feel asleep, but will do that in the morning.

Yes, this little thing is bad! i just went outside with it and my MC and it's easly the same, if not brighter,
I had no idea this thing would roll like that!

Any idea on runtime?

and is it normal to need a extra extention like i did with the foil? VDG

stormtrooper77

Newly Enlightened

Okay, the search feature is good but you have to be reading for about a day before you find what you want. There's so much info! Especially for a new guy.

Anyway, will this mod work for a 4D Maglite? All I have is the upgraded MagnumStar Xenon bulb and it's already a big difference from the stock Krypton bulb.

How many 123's would I need and will the bulb blow up if done wrong?

Thanks

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
stormtrooper77 said:
Okay, the search feature is good but you have to be reading for about a day before you find what you want. There's so much info! Especially for a new guy.

Anyway, will this mod work for a 4D Maglite? All I have is the upgraded MagnumStar Xenon bulb and it's already a big difference from the stock Krypton bulb.

How many 123's would I need and will the bulb blow up if done wrong?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
I am the last person to ask, but i know the drawer had a bunch of other bulb's, i saw a 7.2V lamp. they must be able to take some overdrive cause mine is 3X 3V lith 123's into a 6V lamp.

I love this thing! it makes a light this big worthwhile to use. I can put it in my car, or bugout bag and not worry abot the Magcharger losing it's charge. VDG

P.S. anyone got a rough estimate on runtime?

vhyper007

Enlightened

I tried a 2D with 6xAA and Radio Shack KPR112. I was way less than impressed. WATT did I do wrong. It began to fade severely within 1.5 to 2 min.

I guess I will try 3x123 with all the hoses, fillers and crap.

Any other suggestions. The adapters were Waions, the batts were charged and the adapter showed 3.72v each. It clearly outshone a 3d stock but...

Hep me out youse guys,
vhyper

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

try a 4.8v .7A bulb with your setup... shouldn't be as bright as the 112 but may work fine and if you are using nimh it will be cheaper to operate.

davidra

Enlightened

It's even better in a 2C host. The PVC/hose isn't as bad as it sounds. Takes no time, little effort. I approximated a runtime of about 20 minutes before major dimming, but that was with the KPR112, and I now use either the GH24 or the Ikelite Pca bulb, and I don't know about runtime on those. It loses a bit fairly conistently from the beginning, but it's still my favorite light for throw. I keep one with metal reflector, borofloat lens in my boat as a backup spotlight.

vhyper007

Enlightened

Lynx and Davidra, thanks for input.

Davidra where do you get GH24 and Ikelite. Your light is really good enough for a spotlite in a boat?

regards,
vhyper

Lightwave

Newly Enlightened

Stormtrooper77,

For a real simple mod for your 4D, replace the D cells with 5 C cells. I use a cardboard tube as a spacer (it came from my fax machine) to keep the cells from rattling. You'll be overdriving the stock 4D bulb so it will be quite a bit brighter than normal.