Tell us about your flying dreams

paxxus

Enlightened
So, I often have these very cool dreams that I'm flying. Afterwords I can remember the dream in great detail - it feels extremely real when I'm having the dream. I mostly can't remember any of my dreams except those flying dreams which in contrast I remember vividly. This time the scene was set in some prehistoric forest (with a few mammoths walking around) where I zipped among the trees and followed the terrain with ease. It's not clear how I achieve flight, I usually just run and then take off without having wings or anything, I always seem to fly at low altitude and with great precision. During the latest dream I was however at one point forced to flap my arms in order to gain some extra height, but that was no problem. Isn't this just silly :D

Did I mention how utterly cool these dreams are :cool:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying dreams are very, very cool! I love those. You can actually acheive much the same experience with lucid dreaming, but it's a very hard skill to acquire for most people.

On the subject of dreams, one cool (and funny) thing that has happened to me since I became a flashaholic and started EDC'ing a flashlight is that if it is ever dark in my dreams, I always have a flashlight and turn it on. I even lent it to someone to use in one of my dreams once.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its been years since I've had a flying dream.
There is no doubt they are my favorites though. I wish I had more of them.

I wonder what they mean..

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I miss my flying dreams I can't remember when the last one I had was. I usually remember autumn colors and leaves flying all over.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying dreams are very, very cool! I love those. You can actually acheive much the same experience with lucid dreaming, but it's a very hard skill to acquire for most people.

On the subject of dreams, one cool (and funny) thing that has happened to me since I became a flashaholic and started EDC'ing a flashlight is that if it is ever dark in my dreams, I always have a flashlight and turn it on. I even lent it to someone to use in one of my dreams once.

lol, this happened to me once. Only the flashlight was a Ray-O-vac. It wasn't really a nightmare but I remember thinking: What the heck? I can have any light I want and it's a yellow ray-o-vac?:laughing:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I can vaguely remember one where I was able to glide around, but needed to flap my arms a bit to stay up. It seemed effortless and very neat. It's not clear where I was flying. I do recall being disappointed when I woke up. Don't think I was a turtle.

Geoff

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Click on this link

and then click on the first of the "TV Commercials" thumbnails (the one with the man with his arms out.

That's always been MY flying dream; almost exactly.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Some of my favorite types of flying dreams involve subways or tall buildings. In the subway dreams, I'll often start out just riding the subways. The subway system of my dreams is way larger and more complex than the real subway system. Sometimes I'll be on an elevated line looking out the front window in the first car. The tracks will end but the train will continue flying through the air.

The dreams with building usually involve being in a fairly large room, usually a waiting room with large windows, and high in the air. The entire room starts to move, sort of like a horizontal elevator, right between buildings, all through the city. I can even feel a grinding sensation from the movement.

Then of course I have run of the mill flying dreams where maybe I'm cycling and suddenly I'm up in the air.

My dreams tend to be weirder and longer after I've had a lot to drink. Also, some types of flu medications have a similar effect. I long for the day when it'll be possible to record and playback my dreams. The world that exists there is fantastic beyond belief.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a child I used to dream that I could float into the air. Not quite flying, but kind of totally relaxing every muscle in my body and I would just start floating off the ground into the air slowly gaining altitude. Never very high, maybe 50 - 100 feet up, and not much control of where I would go, just up. It seemed I would do this to escape someone or something in the dream. This was a recurring dream from about the age of 3 until about 8 or so. I haven't had one of those dreams since. Now the recurring dream I have is where I have to go back to high school at the age of 36 to complete a couple classes I missed, and I'm older than many of the teachers! Weird.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've occasionally had flying dreams, but there's always something wrong in them. I either have trouble taking off, or I'm scared that I'll lose the ability in flight and splat on the ground (it occasionally happens). Guess it must be my rational mind refusing the "suddenly and without explanation able to fly" thing...

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the last dreams I had where I was flying was a lucid dream. I don't get them very often unless I am thinking about them a lot (while awake) and they usually don't last long before I wake up but they can be very interesting.

Usually when my dreams involve a plane/helicopter they turn bad... ie something along the lines of me falling out high above the ground or the plane disintegrating when I'm in the bathroom at 35,000ft. Of course its never funny at the time but...:crackup:

BVH

Flashaholic
I have the same one maybe a few times a year. I undulate (sp?) my body sort of like a snake but vertically to gain altitude. The only negative is that I am always getting close to and sometimes flying through the cross-country very high voltage transmission lines. Haven't been zapped but have touched some. I also gloating to myself because no one else on the ground can fly.

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH, I think you mean undulate.

brucec, your post cracked me up!...but oh so true (of any airline)

Haven't had a "flying" dream in a long time (well, that I can remember in the morning, anyway). Not so much flying, but floating above the ground, usually trying to get out of reach of someone or something undesirable. It's an effort to stay aloft, and I can't seem to fly high enough, nor move away fast enough. Hmm...what could a dream analyst tell me???

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying dreams are absolutely my favorite. In them I can fly effortlessly, just by thinking where I want to go, I can go there with absolute precision of speed and altitude. It's usually not too far off the ground. It's such a great feeling to just will yourself into flight.

It's been a long time since my last good flying dream. I think I should go back to plane spotting more, I think that activity used to be a trigger for flying dreams.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had flying dreams since I was a kid and some have been lucid ones. One type I start on the ground standing straight up and just start flapping hard and slowly go straight up. Once up I sort of float and don't need to keep flapping. I've often had to be concerned in those dreams about high voltage lines it seems. Another type is when I've got a sort of cape not much more than Batman size and I'm taking off from a high spot. Because it's a small wing I go really fast zipping all over. Other dreams have been more bird like flying.

Then one day I made my flying dreams come true!! I started Hang Gliding, joined the USHGA and flew off mountain tops and soared on coastal cliffs. I'd catch thermals and ride them up high (got to around 12,000 feet one time). It was about 95 degrees that day on the ground but I was freezing with a heavy down coat on. Some of my longer flights were around 4 hours. I got to know some of the World champion pilots and it was a great and fun time. Some memorable events in flying: Having Seagulls and other birds fly up under my wing and cruise right beside me - they'd be taking quick glances over at me. Flying over a golf course on a coastal ridge and watching a golf ball come within a few feet just under me at the height of it's arc (I swear the golfers were trying to hit us sometime - they probably didn't like the distraction). Catching a thermal that exceeded my Variometers maximum of 2000 feet per minute up. Landing on a beach at Torrey Pines (nude beach and having a couple walk up to check out my glider :D ) Landing in a cow pasture within 15 feet of a Bull (my glider had red in the sail). I don't generally encourage people to try Hang Gliding though as some of the best pilots in the world are no longer with us because of flying mishaps.

When I became involved in Hang Gliding I often had dreams of being able to fly my Hang Glider from level ground. That is not really possible though unless your are towed (very dangerous form of Hang Gliding). In those dreams I'd most often be cruising low over some beautiful countryside.

Last edited: