Tenergy 2600mah 18650 cannot drive turbo in P12

BrightLignt

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up some Tenergy 2600mah 18650s from a well-regarded online seller and they cannot even drive turbo for a second in my P12 after a full charge in the i4.

When I put it in High, the light blinks indicating the battery needs to be replaced.

Is this normal?

hPvztuj.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Not sure on the cells,have you measured the V after a few minutes off the charger to make sure its charged .Could be the cell,charger or light causing issue.

How many flashes does the p12 do to show volts? ie 4 blinks gap then 1 for example for 4.1v

ven

Flashaholic
Have you any other cells to try ,maybe this would help diagnose cell or light now.Not sure if the p12 is happy with flat tops,button tops or both,what is the tenderly cell.Just a thought:thumbsup: Presume threads clean etc.

Also is there another light you could check cell in,will the p12 run on any other mode for an amount of time.

Last edited:

BrightLignt

Newly Enlightened
I only have even worse cells to compare them to. The fake 4000mah ultrafires were able to drive turbo for maybe a min. 2xCr123a are able to drive turbo for 10s of mins. I tried ordering some better ones online, but they haven't arrived yet.

All my cells are button-top. I believe the P12 only runs on button, but I'm not sure. I don't have any other lights with this kind of current draw. I think I have access to a surefire that will take 18650, but it's not going to have this kind of current draw.

The P12 will run on high (~200 lumens) for 60 min+ with this battery, so I'm under the impression that this battery just doesn't have the capability of high current (amp) usage.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
The p12 will only run turbo in short bursts due to heat etc,so iirc around 5 maybe 10mins tops before ramping down in output.

From what you have said,regarding other cells then it sounds like the cell is the issue.

KeepPower offer good value for money,good brand,Panasonic inside ,maybe worth a look or the eagletacs have a strong following too.

Being a single cell light,you have an i4 charger,the light has battery indication so no need to buy protected if confident .Just common sense,save a bit of money,maybe a Panasonic PFs cell 2900mah would be a good option.

Not sure where in the world you are,but have a look local 1st,if in USA then a good few options of reputable sellers that come highly recommended.

Regards ven

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Battery Junction's web site lists your batteries and has a download available for your cells tech specifications. Look on the listing page for your batteries, the uncarded batteries page where they cost $1.00 more than the carded ones. Trouble is that there are two maximum discharge currents listed. One is 0.5C which would be 1.3 amps I believe and the other one is 3.5 amps. Much the same info is shown in the listing under Product Specifications. The listings are on the uncarded non retail version listing. Are you the Mike who just gave the carded ones the 1 star review?:ironic:

• Discharge: Current = 0.5C, End Voltage = 3.0V
  • Max. Charging current: 1.5C
  • Max. Discharging current 1.5C (for continuous discharge)

Actually 1.5C should be 3.9 Amps but the tech specifications PDF actually says 3.5 amps maximum continuous draw. The 3.5 amps limit is low by modern standards. Actually seeing as how the engineering spec is in some of the worst Chinglish I have run across it is hard to interpret.

BrightLignt

Newly Enlightened
I just received 2x olight 3400mah and 2x panasonic 3400mah... None will power turbo on my p12. I am starting to get really discouraged as I'm wasting money on all these batteries that don't work the way I need them to.

edit: the olights are physically shorter than the panasonic and the olight say 'made in china' while the panasonic say 'made in japan'

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
If all the cells are charged,and showing 4.2v and still no turbo then its pointing to the light. Have you checked the cells are charged with a multi meter just to make sure the charger is charging. Only thoughts:)

BrightLignt

Newly Enlightened
All the cells show 4.1v or 4.2v via the p12's readout. I don't have a proper multimeter, but the charger is definitely charging. The rechargeable 18650s all work in high (even though the light blinks like the cells need to be replaced when in high), but only 2xCR123a are able to power turbo.

edit: I notice one of the reviewers here used a viclite 18650 to power the turbo mode. Does anyone know where I could get one of those?

Last edited:

zebraa

Newly Enlightened
At this point, what you are experiencing is not normal. Your light may be defective.

BrightLignt

Newly Enlightened
I will try to test with a nitecore hc90, but the touchy slider makes it hard to know when you are in turbo or high.

Last edited:

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Your difficulties indicate to me that your charger is the most likely culprit. Definitely something wrong here but the indicated problem with new high end batteries in multiple lights indicates to me that it is most likely a charger problem rather than the batteries or lights themselves.

BrightLignt

Newly Enlightened
I borrowed a different nitecore i4 to try charging them with that and I ordered an Opus BT-C3100 V2.0 that I should be able to charge/discharge test them with in the future, but at this point, I'm wondering if I should just order a new light that will be able to handle the lower current output of these batteries... Right now, I can only get ~200 lumens out of my p12 with any of my 18650s and that is lower than I'd like. I could have bought like 100 CR123a cells with the amount I've wasted troubleshooting these 18650s...

side question: when the panasonic cells are in the i4 and they are done charging, the yellow lights of the i4 shut off, is that normal?

edit: now some of the 18650s are having difficulties powering high in the p12, which means I'm left with ~50 lumens. I want to say the P12 is defective, but 2xCR123a are still able to drive turbo.... I don't know what to do at this point.

edit2: after more testing with the hc90, the p12, and all the batteries, it seems the hc90 performs the same with any of the batteries. The p12 can only be driven by 2x cr123a. I assume this means the p12 is defective. I'm waiting on some high-drain 18650s and if they cannot power the p12 either, then I will try to get a replacement.

edit3: EUREKA! I unscrewed the p12 into three parts, rescrewed it together and now all the batteries are powering turbo. I guess the 18650s weren't making a proper connection while the 2x cr123a were. I feel silly that it was something so simple, but I'm glad I can move on!

Last edited: