Teslas quit charging in cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
That's the essential reason for the scale of the incidents in Chicago. The battery preconditioning (warming) process for decent charge rates has to be manually initiated 20-30 minutes prior to charging and by itself eats 10 miles of range.
People that charged at home didn't face the same issues.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Electric Delivery trucks were used into the 1930's.Not unreliable . More reliable. Range was the issue.
If they don't have range, then they're unreliable as delivery trucks.
That's like someone bragging about their Sports car, but admitting the acceleration is extremely slow; then wondering why everyone just smiles and walks away.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
People that charged at home didn't face the same issues.
Well, we don't know that because again, as I pointed out earlier, no one with a house that has a charging station located there is going to go to the news media, embarrass themselves, and openly admit they bought a car that doesn't charge up when the temp. gets too cold.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You have a bias.
Coming from you that's really rich.
Take it or leave it at your peril. What I am imparting is also a warning.
Spreading more fear, uncertainty and doubt, without even a hint of ironic realization at how applicable the second two are to all of your posts.

ItnStln

Newly Enlightened

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Once again showing why the vast, Vast, VAST majority of vehicle owners do NOT want these POS EV's

I really don't understand why it is so difficult to understand
I drive an EV. 10 friends have asked me about EVs since Hertz is offering used vehicles for $20k. One especially hateful of EVs is interested and even more so when I told them you get $4k in incentives for buying a used EV. It all comes down to money and a turd polishes up real quick when you can buy the safest car in the world for less than a Corolla.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Facts!

You're forgetting about how the lithium is mined and what happens to those sites after all of the lithium is mined.

That's obvious.
I charge mine on solar. Closed loop. Zero fossil fuel except when I charge away from home, which so far is never. When I visit my son in Portland I will have to use Superchargers. When people realize the freedom of making your own fuel their minds will be changed, or be forced when their local gas station closes or rules come into place or it's just too expensive. Even the Saudis are investing in EVs and renewables.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
+

Honestly, who does this surprise?
It really nails the point on how it's beyond unrealistic to try and say Canada has to go EV by 2035 or whatever.
Truly violently cold in central Canada.

Truth hurts**I'll say that till I'm banned
Watch this thread get closed for the truth

btw, hybrids aren't EVs'
Correct they burn gas and now don't qualify for incentives.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Facts!

You're forgetting about how the lithium is mined and what happens to those sites after all of the lithium is mined.

That's obvious.
Please... no one is forcing you to buy an EV...yet. Gas vehicles will be illegal to sell. Due to demand the vehicles or the fuel supply will be tenuous. People will be more educated. Those DIYer survivalists will figure it out and their off grid homes will have tons of solar with no running to the gas station to fill generators. It will simply be an education in the cold hard facts of the cheapest solution or most convenient solution, which is usually cheaper, wins. Bonus. It doesn't give your kid lung cancer. Which in the final analysis is why we are doing this. Control is what Exon has done to your brain for you to like driving a vehicle which is poisoning you and the planet.. don't get me started on micro plastics.

Last edited:

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Coming from you that's really rich.

Spreading more fear, uncertainty and doubt, without even a hint of ironic realization at how applicable the second two are to all of your posts.
Just the facts Ma'am: Model Y. Best selling car in the world. Most Teslas. Safest cars in the world. EVs in general. Least cost per mile in both fuel and maintenance. Don't bring up where lithium comes from or I will show you where oil comes from. You can recycle lithium try recycling oil..well except used motor oil. Oil doesn't wear out it just gets dirty. I used to use a toilet paper filter. Worked pretty good. I digress. Those weren't the good old days.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
If they don't have range, then they're unreliable as delivery trucks.
That's like someone bragging about their Sports car, but admitting the acceleration is extremely slow; then wondering why everyone just smiles and walks away.
Plenty reliable delivering milk locally..like forever. However when you want to deliver to the next town not so much. As the interstate highway system matured bye bye to milk floats.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
A conservationist goes about life reducing pollution and habitat destruction quietly and without fanfare. One year at work I had a new boss who asked me if I was a tree hugger.

When we met he asked which filing cabinet our records were in. I pointed to a stack of DVD-R's. When the company asked us how they could save $ and still send out holiday greetings I responded "e-cards". When he'd enter my project office the overhead lights were off but my area was lit with a small table lamp with a curly fry bulb. When out doors watching work from my truck the truck would be off unless I was moving from place to place. Stuff like that. Yet to me all that was just normal. Waste not, want not, right?
The trash truck goes by my house once a week but only stops at my house about once a month. My environmentalist do gooder neighbors can's are over flowing weekly.

When the guy asked me if I was a tree hugger I pointed north and said "about 5 miles that way a gigantic coal powered generator sends polluted air towards my athsmatic son and I'm just doing what I can to reduce the number of loader buckets of coal get dumped into the furnace each day".

Now, I know envirionmentalists who place their pajamas in the clothes dryer to warm them before bed. They look down on me for using plastic straws while they waste more plastic in one day than I do in a week. When my house is chilled I add clothing. They turn up the furnace. When I vacation it's to fix a shed or visit a park on my bicycle. They fly in airplanes coast to coast or ride on gigantic cruise ships to tropical islands then tell me my full sized pickup is ruining the planet.

It's one thing to be a good steward, but just do it and shut the front door about it.
THAT is how you do it. Small gestures without virtue signaling about them, instead of huge actions of questionable validity just for attention, while hiding despicable hypocrisy. Bra-freakin'-VO! :clap:

ItnStln

Newly Enlightened
I charge mine on solar. Closed loop. Zero fossil fuel except when I charge away from home, which so far is never. When I visit my son in Portland I will have to use Superchargers. When people realize the freedom of making your own fuel their minds will be changed, or be forced when their local gas station closes or rules come into place or it's just too expensive. Even the Saudis are investing in EVs and renewables.
That fails to address what I said, nice deflection. Mining Lithium, Cobalt, and other minerals used in Lithium Ion batteries cause more harm than drilling for oil. Additionally the batteries are toxic so disposing of them isn't green either.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) There are currently 17 posts on this page, 8 of which were posted by the same user - 7 of which are consecutive. Do the math.

Now that that's all settled, next thing you know, people will all try to agree on the best flashight on the market. After that, flying pigs will be setting new altitude and speed records. You guys are killin' me - you're killin' me :)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just the facts Ma'am: Model Y. Best selling car in the world. Most Teslas. Safest cars in the world.

Y is actually no 5, first one is ford F150, followed by silverado and dodge ram.

YEp just facts Ma'am.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.