Test/review of Charger Panasonic BQ-CC55

Viking

Enlightened
According to panasonic this charger uses a different termination method than an ordinary -dV.
They call it "peak sensing technology".

It senses the slope of the voltage curve, and terminates a little earlier than a -dV termination would have, much like the inflection method used by the Ultra smart charger, where this charger also has been mentioned for the same reason. I suspect thats the reason for the one hour top off charge.
Below the comparing table of the CC55 and CC17 CHARGER (at page 7 at the link below), there's a little graphic explanation of this termination method. As can be seen, it looks much like the inflection method explained by PowerMeUp.

http://nacs16.mapyourshow.com/7_0/c...d2bbc4002-91D888B9-F362-F2E9-98FF6F4972DA45FB

The inflection metod explained by PowerMeUp:
The inflection method is a bit more complicated. For this method, the charger is watching the slope of the voltage and when the slope starts to drop off from the peak, it's taken as a sign that the charge is complete. In the above graph, the inflection point occurs at about 1800mAh. I'm going to do it a little differently and stop the charge when the slope drops to below half the maximum. Standard inflection termination tends to undercharge batteries a little, but my modified method will terminate a little later - it should occur just after the temperature has started to increase and so lead to a pretty full battery without any significant overcharge.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
According to panasonic this charger uses a different termination method than an ordinary -dV.
They call it "peak sensing technology".

When looking at the curves it is difficult to see that they uses any special technology to sense termination.

Viking

Enlightened
HKJ
About the LEDS, will they go off (indicating a fully charged cell), after the ordinary termination, or after the top-off charge has finished.

BTW I think this is an interesting charger, I might buy one.:)

HKJ

Flashaholic
HKJ
About the LEDS, will they go off (indicating a fully charged cell), after the ordinary termination, or after the top-off charge has finished.

As usual the top-off charge is hidden, i.e. the leds go off after the main charge.

carnage

Enlightened
When you said the top off charge is hidden, Do you mean light goes off to notify the charge is finish and you have to let the battery sit in the charger longer to finish charging?

carnage

Enlightened
Exactly, chargers usual do top-off that way.

Thanks for the reply!
Once the light goes off. how long should they stay in the charger to be fully charged? Is there any charger for NIMH battery that once they said finish or light goes off there are completely charged?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Once the light goes off. how long should they stay in the charger to be fully charged? Is there any charger for NIMH battery that once they said finish or light goes off there are completely charged?

This charger needs one hour, some chargers needs two hours.

Generally charger that use -dv/dt do not need a top-off charge, but chargers with voltage termination need it.
And to confuse the issue some chargers use both methods and either has a top-off on both or on neither.

You will have to check the individual reviews to see how each charger works.

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
I have a BC-900/Rev 33 charger that I tried to charge some older Sanyo AA Eneloops in today but they never seemed to stop charging. From what I've gathered reading around the 'net, the La Crosse chargers appear to have an issue with Eneloops in this regard. So I read up some over at Wirecutter and some reviews on Amazon from NLee the engineer and picked up the BQ-CC55A kit with 12 Eneloop batteries from Costco for $30 this afternoon.

The BQ-CC55A charged up the old Sanyo AA and AAA Eneloops without issue. But when I plugged in some of my AA NiMh batteries, I got the flashing red light of death. The AA NiMh batteries I tried were:
1) LaCrosse Tech 2400 mAh
2) Energizer 2500 mAh
3) Duracell 2650 mAh

The AAA batteries from Energizer charged without issue on the CC55A.

I'm puzzled why the 3 AA battery types above failed to charge on the CC55A. Did I overlook something basic here? I assumed the CC55 was compatible with all NiMh batteries. The instructions do say for rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries (and not specifically Eneloops).

My BC-900 charges the above AA NiMh batteries without issue (other than having to jump start some dead ones with an old Energizer NiMh charger to get the BC-900 to see them). Right now is appears I have to charge my AA Eneloops on one charger and my NiMh batteries on the other. This is not the result I expected from the BC-55A charger.

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
Follow up to my post above, I've spent the better part of this morning trying to find someone at Panasonic who knows anything about the BQ-CC55 charger. Amazingly, no one seems to know anything about the product and I was transferred multiple times, given multiple 800/877 phone numbers to call, transferred to Sanyo products division who also knew nothing about it, etc. I finally found an engineer in the industrial products division who had a passing knowledge of Eneloops/NiMH batterys and chargers and recognized that this product came from their Columbus, GA division. He gave me a phone number to call and I am now awaiting a return call for more specific info on this particular product.

Bottom line at this point (pending further info from Columbus, GA), this charger is specific to Eneloop batteries and/or Panasonic rechargeable NiMH batteries (I have no idea why other rechargeable NiMH batteries would be excluded, and think that only by omission from the following webpage).
http://www.panasonicbatteryproducts...anced-individual-quick-ni-mh-battery-charger/

The product literature I received with the BQ-CC55A charger indicates it "allows AA and AAA Ni-MH rechargeable batteries to be charged in multiple combinations...".

So it appears I still need 2 chargers; one for Eneloops and one for other NiMH rechargeable batteries. Looks like my Lacrosse BC-900 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

ChibiM

Enlightened
What do you mean by thermal management? It has a temp cut off at 57 degrees as far as I know. The cells you mentioned are probably not very healthy anymore and therefore ignored by the BQ CC55.

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by thermal management? It has a temp cut off at 57 degrees as far as I know. The cells you mentioned are probably not very healthy anymore and therefore ignored by the BQ CC55.

That could well be. But the CC55 seems overly sensitive to me. The Eneloops I tried to charge in my BC900 were generation 1. They charged just find in the CC55, but never stopped charging on the BC900. The Eneloops that came with the CC55 charger are all generation 4 and I haven't had to charge them yet.

The problem I ran into with the CC55 was that it wouldn't recognize my AA rechargeable NiMH batteries... even batteries I just pulled off the BC900 and were fully charged. I just got the flashing red light of death. That being said, it charged my AAA NiMH batteries without a problem. Makes no sense to me.

Panasonic is sending me a CC17 unit to try and compare to the CC55. I'll see how that shakes out in regards to the rechargeable NiMH batteries that won't charge in the CC55. They did tell me they had similar reports on the CC55, so apparently I am not alone.