Test/Review of Sony US18650VTC6 3000mAh (Green)

Capolini

Banned
I use them in my M2Xvn,TX25C2vn and SDMiniVN.

I change batteries After 15 minutes to a max of 20 minutes. These are powerful modded lights. For these lights, and to be expected, I can definitely tell the difference when I put a fresh one in,even after 15 minutes when the cells are ~ 3.87v.

The 30Q's were mentioned,,,they are very good cells for the price. The run time pleasantly surprised me. Using my TK75vn, The voltage after 38 consecutive minutes[step down step up @ 20 minutes] on turbo was 3.66V. The voltage with my Soshine[18 months old/panny 3400 cell] after the same time was 3.65V,,,,,,I know they are 18 months old. I do not think a brand new 3400 panny cell would last longer than the 30Q and/or the VTC6 as StorminMatt ​ described.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think a brand new 3400 panny cell would last longer than the 30Q and/or the VTC6 as StorminMatt ​ described.

And bear in mind that my runtime comparison with the NCR18650B was for a bone stock SC600Fd running on H2 high, NOT a Vinh light. As current draw increases, the small capacity advantage of the NCR18650B decreases (and possibly becomes andisadvabtage when voltage sag is taken into account).

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 10 of these cells for my vape mods. Thus far they are stellar performers and surprisingly affordable. Why are they "likely the last" high amp cells from Sony?

Capolini

Banned
I read on my hometown dealers[Liionwholesale.com] website that there is a code on here to identify MANUFACTURING DATE.

For those who do not know and are interested, the information is given on the "Sony specification/Data sheet". It is located in section 6.

6. Identification and Marking (Lot Number Definition:Manufacturing Date of Cells)

Here is the link:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0697/3395/files/Sony_VTC6_specification.pdf?5816251569019225974

It starts with the year 1992 which is"A" and correlates w/ the alphabet. 1993 would be "B" and so on.Cut to the chase,,,,,,,,X=2015, Y=2016

Y=YEAR
M=MONTH
D=DAY
D=DAY
S=ELECTRODE HISTORY

-All you need to do is look at the SET of Numbers below: SE US18650VTC6

- Look at the LAST Five numbers/letters to determine the Manufacturing date:

X=2015 AND Y=2016

MY LAST FIVE NUMBERS/DIGITS FOR MINE READ: YD28P

Y=[LETTER Y] =2016
M=D=APRIL[4TH LETTER/4TH MONTH]
D=2
D=8
P=ELECTRODE HISTORY

MINE WERE MANUFACTURED APRIL 28TH,2016.
:D

I GOT THEM IN THE BEGINNING OF AUGUST,,,,,,,,THEY WERE JUST OVER 3 MONTHS OLD!

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
^^^

LOL!! Similar thought as mine,,,as I was figuring out the years/letter correlations I said to myself they have to sell all their batteries by the end of next year!:crackup:

Capolini

Banned
In one aspect I am NOT impressed with these batteries at all. They have been used 5.5 months.

One has 40 cycles and the other 20 cycles. Once they have been below 3.70V for testing. Other than that they have NOT been below 3.8 Volts!

BOD: April 28,2016

Purchased: August 22,2016

One came off of the charger @ 4.20v,,,the other @ 4.19v. Eight hours later they were both 4.14v. When they were new, which was not long ago[!], the resting voltages would be 4.18/4.19v Five or Six days later.

I realize ALL batteries drop several Hundredths of a volt after resting. IMO these have dropped too low of a voltage/too quickly compared to ALL of my other batteries that are much older. If they were a few years old it would not concern me, but they are not.

AS FAR AS I KNOW THEY ARE GENUINE WITH ALL THE CORRECT MARKINGS. I BOUGHT THEM FROM A REPUTABLE DEALER.

Is this a sign of them DEGRADING too fast? I think it might be.

I have many batteries of all sizes that are b/w 1.5 and 3 years old whose resting voltages are higher after sitting for several days!

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I was about to buy four of these a week or so ago, however I got busy and forgot to place the order. Now I am not sure if I want these or 30Q's?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
In one aspect I am NOT impressed with these batteries at all. They have been used 5.5 months.

One has 40 cycles and the other 20 cycles. Once they have been below 3.70V for testing. Other than that they have NOT been below 3.8 Volts!

BOD: April 28,2016

Purchased: August 22,2016

One came off of the charger @ 4.20v,,,the other @ 4.19v. Eight hours later they were both 4.14v. When they were new, which was not long ago[!], the resting voltages would be 4.18/4.19v Five or Six days later.

I realize ALL batteries drop several Hundredths of a volt after resting. IMO these have dropped too low of a voltage/too quickly compared to ALL of my other batteries that are much older. If they were a few years old it would not concern me, but they are not.

AS FAR AS I KNOW THEY ARE GENUINE WITH ALL THE CORRECT MARKINGS. I BOUGHT THEM FROM A REPUTABLE DEALER.

Is this a sign of them DEGRADING too fast? I think it might be.

I have many batteries of all sizes that are b/w 1.5 and 3 years old whose resting voltages are higher after sitting for several days!

I remember when you bought them and I think that it was Ven who stated that his battery guy suggested that there might be VTC6 floating around, which might not have been stored properly and were classified as 'B stock.'

What charger are you using again?

I would think that 4.14v after a few hours is too much for a newish cell, but if you bang on them hard, say while using them in a sub-ohm mech vaporizer, then perhaps, but you don't seem to be doing that?

Charge them up to full, let them rest 2 hours, discharge them down at 1A (the max for something like an Opus charger) and then see what you see.

Chris

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
there might be VTC6 floating around, which might not have been stored properly and were classified as 'B stock.

Was thinking the same thing, he probably got "B" cells.

My VTC6's come off the charger (VP2) at 4.2 then settle to 4.185 and stay there.

Capolini

Banned
I remember when you bought them and I think that it was Ven who stated that his battery guy suggested that there might be VTC6 floating around, which might not have been stored properly and were classified as 'B stock.'

What charger are you using again?

I would think that 4.14v after a few hours is too much for a newish cell, but if you bang on them hard, say while using them in a sub-ohm mech vaporizer, then perhaps, but you don't seem to be doing that?

Charge them up to full, let them rest 2 hours, discharge them down at 1A (the max for something like an Opus charger) and then see what you see.

Chris

I remember VEN mentioning that. It certainly is a possibility.

I use them in my M2Xvn.As you see above they have not been cycled that much and have never been discharged too much.

I charge them either in my Fenix ARE-C2 or my Keeppower L2 charger.

Some guy on BLF said that resting voltage is normal for Sony batteries. I disagree. when my VTC4/5 were only 5.5. months old their resting voltages were 4.18/4.19 after several days!

I do not have an Opus charger so I just have to wait and see. A year from now If they are holding a 4.14v resting voltage several days after a charge, then they should be fine.

My experience is when the resting voltage starts dwindling down then the batteries are also degrading.

I have numerous cells that are 2, 3 and even 4 years old who have a higher resting voltage than 4.14V!

ven

Flashaholic
My vtc4 and vtc5 have no issue with resting voltage at all, even after a couple of years. They have not been cycled 100's of times, but may have had 50 part cycles over that time.

Regarding grades , i dont know that much but yes my battery guy told me. He has a warehouse in HK , he said at the time there were no grade A and only B iirc. Grade B basically is along the lines of not knowing age, how they have been stored(temperature etc/conditions). He also told me decent grade LG cells where getting rarer , again unknown age/conditions. That was a while back, not sure how things sit today..............

Back to the vtc6, as i wanted to try some, he would not buy any due to the grade available. This might just be to him, dont know on that but also bare in mind that Sony dont just sell to the public or not as far as i am aware of anyway.........Many gray areas:thinking:

Sorry to here the vtc6 have not lived up to your expectations(nor would they live up to mine either). Quite disappointing, as sony are one of the top brands.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember VEN mentioning that. It certainly is a possibility.

>>>>>>>>

Some guy on BLF said that resting voltage is normal for Sony batteries. I disagree. when my VTC4/5 were only 5.5. months old their resting voltages were 4.18/4.19 after several days!

I do not have an Opus charger so I just have to wait and see. A year from now If they are holding a 4.14v resting voltage several days after a charge, then they should be fine.

My experience is when the resting voltage starts dwindling down then the batteries are also degrading.

I have numerous cells that are 2, 3 and even 4 years old who have a higher resting voltage than 4.14V!

I'm just a hack and I'm certainly no expert, but I have eight Sony 2200mAh 18650s from a ~2004 VAIO pack, which are dated 2002 and they all hold about 4.15v after a day and come hot off of my chargers at about 4.17v. On my Opus 3400 v. 2.2, they discharge down close to, or at, 2000mAh plus, which is seemingly pretty good.

We suspect that the Opus chargers, much like my LaCrosse BC-700, read a bit 'high,' so even taking that into consideration, the Sonys are doing quite well after 15 years. I won't put a 3A load on them and I won't charge them up at more than 500mA, but they're in the fridge waiting for zombie duty.

Who knows? Until you can run them under a timed and somewhat known load, we're back to square one. I don't have any other Sony li-ion cells, to know for sure, but I do have those 8 and another VAIO pack sitting here that I never bothered with.

Fresher cells, not beat upon, shouldn't be at 4.14v after 8 hours on a good charger, is my thought on the matter.

Chris

Capolini

Banned
^^^^^^^^^^^

I AGREE that ,,,,Fresher cells, not beat upon, shouldn't be at 4.14v after 8 hours on a good charger, is my thought on the matter.

It is like
:dedhorse: with this guy on BLF! He keeps telling me that it is normal for resting voltages @ 4.14V with SONY cells and I keep telling him it is NOT normal from my past Sony[newer] cells and any other for that matter to have a resting voltage of 4.14V after 8 hours rest and cells only 5.5 months old!

I VOTE FOR VEN!! "B" CELLS!!

EDIT: Mine may NOT qualify for B cells because the BOD WAS 4.28.2016 and I purchased them August 22, 2016. So they were NOT sitting around long at all............how they were stored? I have no idea!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing: vote ven!

Off the top of my head, cells charged to near 4.2v tend to rest no lower then 4.18v(range of my cells). When any of my cells rest bellow 4.1v(dont think i actually have any), then they will simply move to lower powered tasks(say work light use which is 300lm or less). At 4.1v and for arguments sake say 90% in the tank, still plenty of uses before recycling. Thats a general comment for older worn cells though, certainly not ~6 month old vtc6 which is poor.

In know capo de capo demands nothing but the best out of his v54 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he will not be happy with 5% less turbo time!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes i am grateful for a little less charge, the rc40vnT for example measures around 8.15v rested(full would be 8.4v) so a tad less than 90% which across the 6 cells will add some longevity when stored/locked out.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that capo about your sony vtc6. I use sony vtc 4, vtc 5. And vtc6. None of them give me any problem... i stored my sony vtc 6 fully charged for 2 weeks, and check the voltage.. they came out 4.18v.. i buy my batteries from illumn and mtnelectronics.

Capolini

Banned
Gentlemen,,,,, [and I use that term loosely!],,,the verdict is still out!!! I am in the process of doing another full charge[4.20v]/resting voltage tests!!

This second test is more of the norm! Started another test yesterday @ 1:30 pm. It has been holding 4.18V.I will check voltages a few times every succeeding day and see where it is a week from now!:naughty:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the battery in your DMM and get a charger like the Liitokala 500, or Opus, that allow you to do discharge tests.

Chris

Capolini

Banned
^^^^

Thanks,,,,,,,

I plan to get an Opus if this job comes through! That is how tight things are now!

DMM battery is fine. When the batteries get low, the voltages actually get much higher than normal! That is when I know they have to be changed.